Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,451,383 times

Advertisements

And the average 12 year old in an APS school can't find India on a map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 08:36 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,751,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Perhaps because too much emphasis is placed on "feel good" courses that by their
very nature allow APS to avoid any form of performance metrics?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:19 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,598,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Some people aren't going to like this post, but thats okay, and I say this as someone who loves history and geography: the curriculum really needs to be steered more towards mathematics and sciences, or we are going to continue to lose our competitive edge geopolitically.
We apparently have no shortage of math and science expertize in this country, else the salaries for engineers wouldn't be so crappy. Believe it or not in most "up and coming" countries, engineers make more than doctors, not 1/4 as much as in the US... not to mention the billions that can be made via creative instruments of finance...

Except for the military, there is precious little cutting edge scientific *business* going on. If the jobs aren't there, you can't expect students to pursue it.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:05 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,421,895 times
A friend's sister is a schoolteacher in Arizona and even before this has not been allowed to have a book in Spanish in her classroom, or a book that can be considered "multicultural". Culture? What culture?

What about Native American studies classes? Banned?

It feels like Fox News is running Arizona.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:32 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,451,383 times
In their defense, AZ has exempted Native Americans and the Holocaust.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:45 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Seems to me that White American History would be considered "Ethnic Studies" and the history of the Aztec people would be the heart of the curriculum.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Seems to me that White American History would be considered "Ethnic Studies" and the history of the Aztec people would be the heart of the curriculum.
Amen, Greg! Add Pueblo Studies, Navajo Studies, Apache Studies, etc.....

I agree with the sentiment that the ONLY reason we're seeing this kind of monkey business coming from Arizona at this time (and not during the Bush years or before) is because we have an "ethnic" president. Add to that, the "birthers" push the idea that Obama himself is an illegal alien. So crack down on "illegals" and "ethnics" and you got him covered, you sent your message loud and clear.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:17 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Hardly exclusive to APS:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/roper2006/index.html

Old 05-13-2010, 02:34 PM

My only other related idea I wanted to get in here, is what is so great about New Mexico, when I first came here over 20 years ago it was explained to me that we have three main cultural groups, Indian, Hispanic, and Anglo, and the state depends on their working together. The prejudices and exploitation of the past are behind us and we are moving forward with that harmonious vision of cooperation. That was so refreshing compared to other places I've lived, I hope we don't lose that. I know we don't live that out perfectly but it is a common goal. I think it makes a big difference in the outlook of our citizens.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:35 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,835 times
Default AZ Bill 2281 Education Bill

Hi Phoenix, Gurbie from SoCal here. I'm willing to give Arizonans the benefit of the doubt on SB 1070 (The Feds aren't doing their job, the crime rate is out of control- I can see why you feel like you're backed against the wall, and have to act) But, can anyone explain the new law eliminating Ethnic Studies classes? I'm a white dude, OK? But, I've benefited greatly from taking various ethnic and gender-centric classes over the years. How in the heck can these classes be seen as a bad thing? Are they truly BANNED now in Arizona? At the UNIVERISTY level??? What tha...?

(BTW, I consider Phoenix to be a cosmopolitan city full of intelligent, sophisticated people- that's why I'm asking this on your city forum, and not on the Illegal Immigration page. There is a lot of heat, and very little light, being shed there. Thanks in advance for your help)

Last edited by Grannysroost; 05-13-2010 at 11:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona