Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 03:05 PM

19 posts, read 98,612 times

Advertisements

To _cook with_, mind you, not even to drink.

This policy makes you all look like hillbillies. There's a big university here (nwa), major employers, half a million people, even some museums and arts centers.

Time to grow up, move forward and join something approaching the modern era.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:18 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
There are lots of places all across the United States where you cannot purchase wine in a grocery store on a Sunday. It's not specific to "hillbilly" areas. Why don't you plan ahead and purchase your wine on a Saturday?

Old 01-31-2011, 03:30 PM

570 posts, read 1,582,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermegahyperultrauber View Post

This policy makes you all look like hillbillies. There's a big university here (nwa), major employers, half a million people, even some museums and arts centers.

I would have to say calling people hillbillies because you don't agree with something is allot like using the N word. Used very much the same way. Moderator cut: discussing moderation

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-31-2011 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: discussing moderation in forums is prohibited

Old 01-31-2011, 03:32 PM

697 posts, read 1,774,767 times
Quote:

I fail to see how a policy stemming from observing a religious day of the week for many Americans is a "hillbilly" issue. There are a number of places you can't buy alcohol on Sunday. That said, I do think it's a relatively pointless policy that they might as well get rid of. Of course... you could do what I do and just make sure you pick it up on Saturday . (Or if you're desperate/last-minute, run up to Macadoodle's.)

Old 01-31-2011, 03:55 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
I agree that the policy is very outdated, and could even be a freedom of religion issue (or freedom FROM religion). Nonetheless, we do not like to be referred to as "hillbillies."

Old 01-31-2011, 04:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:

wow, you haven't been around the country much: Texas you can't buy it til after 12 pm, NM had no booze sold period on Sundays til a few years ago and most of the south still has the Blue law, no booze period on Sundays. It has nothing to do with hillies. When we first moved to Texas you couldn't buy a drink on sundays in some towns and in others you could buy booze anywhere period. We left a mid sized city in Texas (the burbs of Dallas I will add) 6 years ago. No liquor was sold in that city period. They have since, changed the laws, you can buy wine but not on Sundays.

You need to adjust and not think of this as a hillbilly law. In fact I have to question why you feel this way? Do you live in Ar or all you just stirring up the pot? For some reason I am getting the idea you live in the Seattle area, I wonder where I get this?

Nita

Old 01-31-2011, 04:07 PM

19 posts, read 98,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
I would have to say calling people hillbillies because you don't agree with something is allot like using the N word. Used very much the same way. Moderator cut: deleted comment
Moderator cut: rude
Read my comment more closely. This policy makes you _look like_ hillbillies; I'm quite aware that the area's reality does not match the area's stereotype.

Re "it's like that in other places". Well, yes, it is, and that fact doesn't really need to be pointed out. It's also not like that in most sophisticated, wealthy, desirable places.

It's the area that needs to adjust, to what it's become and to what it aspires to be.

Nmnita: No I don't live here, but I do travel here quite often for work and for family. I spend a good three months out of the year here. What of it?

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-31-2011 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 01-31-2011, 04:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
I fail to see how a policy stemming from observing a religious day of the week for many Americans is a "hillbilly" issue. There are a number of places you can't buy alcohol on Sunday. That said, I do think it's a relatively pointless policy that they might as well get rid of. Of course... you could do what I do and just make sure you pick it up on Saturday . (Or if you're desperate/last-minute, run up to Macadoodle's.)
you have that right, so does Dr Foosball. It is a stupid and outdated law, which I have a feeling will change in the next 5 to 10 years, but to refer to people in NWA as hillbillies is not only an insult but shows a very narrow mind and no knowledge of the region. And yes, thank God for Macadoodles.

Nita

Old 01-31-2011, 04:11 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
And yes, thank God for Macadoodles.

Nita
I didn't know MO sold on Sundays.

I am just happy to be out of Crawford County where I had to drive to Fort Smith to buy alcohol every day of the week.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:11 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,658 times
Arkansas is one of 14 states that bull-headedly clings to the Prohibition relics of Blue Laws. At least you don't live in Indiana, one of only three states that maintain a ban on all beer, wine and liquor sales on Sundays. I'm totally sure this allows baby Jesus to sleep soundly at night, or whatever the rationale is.

Yippy-kye-yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas