Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:07 PM

490 posts, read 1,266,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Absolutely.

Money won't get rid of the smell of the city, get more deer to graze in your yard, allow you to hear nothing but birds around you while drinking your morning coffee, nor the owls and whipporwills at night.

It will, however, get you an internet connection to read people whining about the hillbillies and lack of civilization in this state.

Now *that's* entertainment!
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this is my back yard in HSV after the "blizzard" of Christmas 2012. At least this snow will be gone in a few days vs when I lived in Omaha and would be there until March.

Arkansas Ranked No. 4 on the miserable State List.-006.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
That list might be the most accurate I've ever seen.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:48 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I don't put a whole lotta stock in some list made probably by someone in New York. Folks in Arkansas are some of the most down to earth, happy, family oriented, hard working people I've ever known.

Want lazy? Come to Colorado. I've never seen so many lazy, shiftless, people as here.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
That list might be the most accurate I've ever seen.
Blanket statements like that usually call for explainations...First of all this post is very old and second, none of these studies mean a darn thing...Depending on who you poll and what you are using for compaison, any state can fall into any catagory.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:25 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Well, that article is 18 months old. Now we're #7 Most Miserable.

http://247wallst.com/2012/03/02/amer...able-states/2/

I don't know about y'all, but I'm thinkin' life is pretty good here! I also don't put much stock in something from out of state. Now, if you want to have an in-state poll on unhappy cities it might make sense....unemployment and poverty can do that to you and we do have cities in crisis.

Interestingly, this is from WallStreet24/7. I found another Forbes poll from the same time period in 2011 of the Top 20 Most Miserable Cities...cities in California took 8 of the first 10 spots. I'd bet if you ask someone in Sacramento if they're happy, though, they'd probably say they are for the most part. As a side note, how do you live in the 4th Most Miserable State but not even get an honorable mention for a Most Miserable City? Worth pondering anyway.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I gotta say, though, I appreciate these polls. They keep the riffraff out

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-30-2012 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: Because I stay confused about what it is I'm trying to say

Old 12-30-2012, 03:07 PM

490 posts, read 1,266,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Well, that article is 18 months old. Now we're #7 Most Miserable.

America’s Most Miserable States - 24/7 Wall St.

I don't know about y'all, but I'm thinkin' life is pretty good here! I also don't put much stock in something from out of state. Now, if you want to have an in-state poll on unhappy cities it might make sense....unemployment and poverty can do that to you and we do have cities in crisis.

Interestingly, this is from WallStreet24/7. I found another Forbes poll from the same time period in 2011 of the Top 20 Most Miserable Cities...cities in California took 8 of the first 10 spots. I'd bet if you ask someone in Sacramento if they're happy, though, they'd probably say they are for the most part. As a side note, how do you live in the 4th Most Miserable State but not even get an honorable mention for a Most Miserable City? Worth pondering anyway.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I gotta say, though, I appreciate these polls. They keep the riffraff out
Totally agree. I don't want to live anywhere else either.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:37 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
We need to remember that most of these the stories are unsourced and copies from some Mars or some other place. It reminds me of gossipy old women who don't have anything better to do. Most of these copy writers, and magazine owners/editors have never set one little toe in Arkansas. Most of the trash talk from Forbes and the rest is the same.

"If it it bleeds it leads" because "IT" will draw readership and advertising dollars. The negative nelly headlines and lead paragraphs are structured to pull readership. If you really want to know how "miserable" you are, read the local newspapers from Fayetteville to Texarkana. Only then can you determine if AR is a miserable state. I doubt it, don't you?

Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 AM

127 posts, read 216,888 times
Unless it is a publication that votes "NWA the number one place to live in America", then it is right on.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:51 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Thanks to someone from New Hampshire for weighing in on a quality of life poll in Arkansas(?) I don't really recall how long it's been since you lived in Arkansas. NWA is pretty special, but the rest of the state has a lot going for it.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I'm just happy for YOU that you found your nirvana in New Hampshire. The rest of us? We just like it here - wherever "here" may be!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:35 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I gotta say, though, I appreciate these polls. They keep the riffraff out
Yep....leaves more room for me to find my little piece of Eden someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas