Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:23 PM

27 posts, read 60,928 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the feedback...I went ahead and applied for the position. Hopefully I will be able to put all this great information to use in the future. :0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 06:24 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
You will be alright if you work there. But DO NOT buy a house there. I have a close friend who had to give her house back to the bank when she moved because she couldn't sell her house. You can get some huge houses for very low prices, but you will never sell them.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:36 AM

9 posts, read 37,619 times
^^^Truth. We own a house in P.B. that has been sitting on the market for over 3 years, and you see the same all over town. Empty houses languishing on the market are common, and there are many more occupied and for sale that owners who'd like to move can't unload. That's how people get stuck there...

Good luck with the job application, Newfies!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,567 times
Unhappy Pine Bluff, Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfies View Post
From California, found a posting for a job with the Army Corp of Engineers that I'm thinking of apply for and after reading posts about Pine Bluff it definitely sounds like it's not the place to live. Is it safe enough to work there? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.
Do you have a permit to carry a weapon? Do you know martial arts? Seriously, it is one of the worse places to live. Working in PB isn't bad but you would need to live in one of the outside towns like Woodlawn, White Hall, etc. You would have a little drive to work but it might just save your life!

Old 09-04-2012, 06:54 PM

I would just like to take a minute and thank all of you for the information. I did end up moving to Arkansas and have found the people very neighborly. While Pine Bluff is ruff I haven't found it to be any worse then parts of Los Angeles, after all they right songs and make movies about some of the places in L.A. lol Thank you all again for all the help!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:15 PM

536 posts, read 823,517 times
Quote:
I would just like to take a minute and thank all of you for the information. I did end up moving to Arkansas and have found the people very neighborly. While Pine Bluff is ruff I haven't found it to be any worse then parts of Los Angeles, after all they right songs and make movies about some of the places in L.A. lol Thank you all again for all the help!
Congratulations on your job and welcome to Arkansas! Thanks for the update.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:02 AM

93 posts, read 182,543 times
Default disagree, STRONGLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Yes it is safe to work in P.B., but as with any community large or small, there are areas which you should not go into. Your supervisors/co-workers can make you aware of them. Personally, if it was a job I wanted, I would not hesitate to move to P.B.
Lets get basic. On this very page, and one of the reasons I like to peruse City-Data is for the information on each city/town/village. If you were to scroll down just a little bit, you will find whats called a "Crime Index." Its a little ditty, somewhat accurate, based on numbers of crimes (and segregated into categories) that is easy to read. Either you are rather new to the site, or you didn't look very hard. The crime index for this fancy little slice of Heaven is 856. ! EIGHT-HUNDRED AND 56!!!

You can probably find a safer town in Afghanistan, or Syria, if you looked a little bit.

so, go to this page, scroll down until you see the graph that goes all the way across the page, called "Crime Index" and check it out.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappingfish View Post
Lets get basic. On this very page, and one of the reasons I like to peruse City-Data is for the information on each city/town/village. If you were to scroll down just a little bit, you will find whats called a "Crime Index." Its a little ditty, somewhat accurate, based on numbers of crimes (and segregated into categories) that is easy to read. Either you are rather new to the site, or you didn't look very hard. The crime index for this fancy little slice of Heaven is 856. ! EIGHT-HUNDRED AND 56!!!

You can probably find a safer town in Afghanistan, or Syria, if you looked a little bit.

so, go to this page, scroll down until you see the graph that goes all the way across the page, called "Crime Index" and check it out.

Yes, I was new to the site at the time I originally posted. Yes, I had found the Crime Index. No, I didn't have to look very hard to find it. The wonderful thing about this site is that a person can ask someone from the area about what is really going on instead of just some numbers on a page.

ArkansasSlim was correct in the knowledge shared and it was appreciated.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 AM

93 posts, read 182,543 times
Quote:
Yes, I was new to the site at the time I originally posted. Yes, I had found the Crime Index. No, I didn't have to look very hard to find it. The wonderful thing about this site is that a person can ask someone from the area about what is really going on instead of just some numbers on a page.

ArkansasSlim was correct in the knowledge shared and it was appreciated.
Sure, Slim was right. The analogy I draw is like this" If you were luckly enough to like in Old Pasadena (very lofty, old money) but had to drive through East LA or Compton to and from work, I would say that its probably wasn't as safe as you would like.

So, I reiterate-if a town has a crime index of over 800 (just under three times the average rate, I would stick by my original statement-I think that you're taking bad odds regarding your chances of getting mugged, car-jacked, or burgled. mod cut

I meant no disrespect on my post. Some people don't know what the crime index is, or that it is even on the page. mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-28-2013 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: sarcasm totally unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas