Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:24 PM

34 posts, read 51,309 times

Advertisements

I don't want to be too specific at this point, but I have an offer to move to Mt. View. It is ministry related. I have preached there numerous times & like the town, but just wondering how accepting the locals are to outsiders, employment opportunities, crime, etc.?

It is my understanding that Mt. View services the entire Stone county since there really isn't very many competing towns in the area, thus I would assume that most folks come to this town for their needs? Any info. one might have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your assistance in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,382,198 times
I have no first hand info so perhaps I shouldn't even respond, but here it is any way. Since you have preached there several times you know how isolated it is, and if you were accepted as a preacher you should also be accepted as a resident. Since Mt. View is, for all practical purposes, a tourist town, they deal with "outsiders" all the time so that shouldn't be a problem. As for employment, I suspect the Folk Center is it, and crime? That is a subjective matter because what is considered high crime to one may be normal to another. My many visits to Mt. View as a tourist have all been pleasant.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:03 PM

Thank you very much. Good points to consider!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:52 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,819 times
I'm in Mountain View on occasion.

But not during tourist season.

It is the Folk Center mecca, which is a huge draw. There are a number of draws in the area like Blanchard Springs. The locals are very "down home", so if you have any attitude, leave it at the door.

It's beautiful country, I believe, and although most would consider it spartan, it has plenty of retail, restaurants, and medical.

The tourist season, and off-season, are two totally different things, as with a lot of places in this neck of the woods.

I like the locals. As with a lot of this area, you be honest with them and don't judge, and you shall have rewards.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
I'm in Mountain View on occasion.

But not during tourist season.

It is the Folk Center mecca, which is a huge draw. There are a number of draws in the area like Blanchard Springs. The locals are very "down home", so if you have any attitude, leave it at the door.

It's beautiful country, I believe, and although most would consider it spartan, it has plenty of retail, restaurants, and medical.

The tourist season, and off-season, are two totally different things, as with a lot of places in this neck of the woods.

I like the locals. As with a lot of this area, you be honest with them and don't judge, and you shall have rewards.
Thanks for the advice...sincerely. I live in a tourist area now [about 2 hrs. N.] & the locals here are terribly rude & cold...as has been noted by more out of town folks than I can remember.

However, I do not get that feel in Mt. View. Seems like genuine-real-deal mountain folks to me. Not sure what you are calling the "Folk Center Mecca" though...Pardon my ignorance !

Thank you again.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:44 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin' Tang View Post
However, I do not get that feel in Mt. View. Seems like genuine-real-deal mountain folks to me. Not sure what you are calling the "Folk Center Mecca" though...Pardon my ignorance !
Ozarks - Ozark Folk Center State Park - Arkansas State Parks

Old 06-07-2012, 11:56 AM

374 posts, read 812,644 times
I was born and raised in Mountain View, and my family has resided there for about 6 generations. The only real crime is the occasional meth bust or DWI, but it can sometimes be difficult for a "move-in" to fit in there, especially someone from the North. There are always exceptions to this, but I've heard some new comers complain a bit. I'm just drawing from personal experience. You say you're coming for ministry? I would caution you that the pastor of the First Baptist Church is a controversial character known for mixing politics with church and has run off several youth and associate pastors. I'm not going mention any specific names or bad mouth him, I was just plainly stating the facts.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
I was born and raised in Mountain View, and my family has resided there for about 6 generations. The only real crime is the occasional meth bust or DWI, but it can sometimes be difficult for a "move-in" to fit in there, especially someone from the North. There are always exceptions to this, but I've heard some new comers complain a bit. I'm just drawing from personal experience. You say you're coming for ministry? I would caution you that the pastor of the First Baptist Church is a controversial character known for mixing politics with church and has run off several youth and associate pastors. I'm not going mention any specific names or bad mouth him, I was just plainly stating the facts.
Thank you for your candor. We are deep-southerners & enjoy the mountain folks (not too fond of the North either :-)!). Thanks for the warning about the FBC pastor. Will try to befriend him if able. Any tips of how to "fit-in" a little better would be appreciated! From what we see as visitors, the folks seem genuinely friendly, but we have duped before :-)! Thank you again!

Old 06-08-2012, 09:04 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
We have a family river cabin at MV - and my advice would be BE SEEN. The more you are seen, particularly in off season, the quicker your acceptance. Eat at Woods Drug Store and the little diner across the street, go to the music nights after everyone has cut out from vacation...shop local as much as possible. Even though we are part-timers, we've had no problems at all fitting in, and in fact are welcomed when we close down the cabin for the winter in early December and don't return until March.

If you intend to buy a home there, DM me for more info if you don't already have a Realtor. I can hook you up with a gem who is a longtime personal friend.

Welcome!

Old 06-08-2012, 02:24 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,382,198 times
I have lived all over the U.S. of A. and Mt. View or anywhere else, I have found 99.9% of the time you will be treated as you treat others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas