Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 04:10 PM

11 posts, read 48,173 times

Advertisements

I was looking on line at Russellville and liked the houses and the scenery. I wanted to know if anyone could tell me a little about what it is like to live in Russellville.

Also, what do the utilities cost there? Electricity per KWH for a home and what is the typical cost of cable TV in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 03:48 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Freddy, I'm in R'ville...and absolutely love it. Just like everywhere else, I'm sure it's great for some and not so much for others. The job market seems to be tight since there is just some industry (ConAgra, Tyson's) and the nuclear plant. Have job in hand before arriving would be my best advice. I would expect more to come to this region in the future as the new convention center is built, though - it should be a big boon to the I-40 corridor.

Life is pretty slow, not as much as when we first arrived 7 years ago. The people are so friendly. Years ago it was a bunch of born-here folks and everyone knew everyone, but that is changing. It's still a lot about who you know and who your daddy is and the political base seems to be typical good old boy, but with the election of the new mayor, Tyrone Williamson, that changed too....kind of unexpected on some fronts but welcomed. I like Tyrone - not sure he's much of a politician, but he's more than willing to state his opinion and then back down when proven completely wrong...

I think housing costs are very reasonable and Pope County historically has had some of the better housing prices in Arkansas. You can always slide across the river to Dardanelle in Yell County, but resale would be lower. Don't know why that is, it just is. Some of the smaller outlying towns - London, Ola, Moreland, Chickalah, Dover - are very rural and your only choice is to drive to Dardanelle or Russellville 'cause there ain't much there, but if you're looking for rural you've probably come to the right place. Lots of folks commute to Morrilton, Conway, Clarksville and even Little Rock for jobs, but the daily grind of I-40 would wear hard on you and a car going to the metropolitan LR area every day.

Water is very cheap, about $20-25/mo. Trash is not included, you contract with a private firm for that, about $30/mo.? Gee, I dunno...we just pay, we don't ask why...Electricity is Entergy. Gas is Centerpoint or whoever they are this week. Looking at a bill for Nov. on a 2100 sq. foot historic home (yes, we have energy issues) - $150.48. That's a base bill of about $130+ all the myriad taxes and adjustments they make includeing purchased power costs and franchise adjustments, blah, blah...but to be honest, I have to have light and our bill is probably a goodly bit higher than our neighbors. We're singlehandedly keeping Nuclear One in business. Cable is about $50/mo. for basic.

Hope that answers a few questions. The River Valley is a lovely place to be and not too far from Little Rock for anything you feel you might need there...shopping isn't excellent and you'd best be a basic kind of person or use the internet a lot.

As far as crime - there is a little property crime but nothing to speak of. We laugh at the Police Beat...seems pretty trivial. The police department is great and responds quickly and efficiently and seems to hold things to a low roar.

It is a dry county, if that's an issue for you - but there are about a half dozen private clubs in the area and membership to each runs $5/year. They range from the almost honky-tonk to the "club" area at Cagle's Mill in the Holiday in (yum, great prime rib!). John Daly has a supper club across the river in Dardanelle that's usually packed on the weekends, and Savannah's (upscale for this area) Restaurant in Dardanelle also has a license, so you can you and have a quiet meal and a drink too.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:52 AM

Thank you Sam. Where I am the cable company and internet are offered thru the same company, Brighthouse is the one I use. Brighthouse privides cable and internet together and it is about $100 month for basic cable and Road Runner internet. Does this seem more of less than Pope County area services?

Old 12-18-2007, 05:20 AM

Suddenlink does offer a package, I have it...I think i-net and cable are about $100/mo. I also have the DVR system added in so it adds a few bucks. For whatever reason they gave up on sending us a bill several months ago and we can't get that straightened out...it just bills to my credit card, so whatever....speed is good on the internet. The phone company, CenturyTel, actually has a less expensive package and is always running a special. I hear they are more stable but have been too lazy/busy to check it out.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:13 AM

I forgot to say that my basic package includes DVR also. So it sounds like the prices are very similar.

BTW - Thank you very much Sam for helpijg me out.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:40 AM

10 posts, read 32,434 times
I'm new to the AR thread, was checking out Tennessee (not any longer) but I just wanted to put my two cents in on how much I love Russellville. I have two friends that live there (Cali transplants) and I visit often. Everytime I'm there I hate to leave. I have visited (on my many road trips taken) many other towns and larger cities all over Arkansas, but I still like Russsellville the best (not too big not too small). The scenery is beautiful, Lake Dardanelle is right there, (I love to fish) a great College town, and the people are just as nice as they can be. Just recently I finally purchased 8 acres of land in rural Dover. My property is about 10 miles north of the I-40. Can't wait to move there and build my dream house. Work won't be a problem either. I'm in school right now working on getting my RN and whether or not I work in Russellville, Conway or even Little Rock, the drive compared to the heavy traffic congestion in Cali won't bother me at all. So check out Russellville, It's a great town with the nicest people you'd ever want to meet.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:07 PM

Put me in touch with your buds if they want a new friend, it would be nice knowing somone when I move there.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:06 PM

10 posts, read 50,507 times
middle of no where

Old 12-21-2007, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas3333 View Post
middle of no where
Gee, there's an in depth response!

Middle of nowhere...explain that one please....at the foothills of the Ozarks, halfway between LR and Ft. Smith...a growing, thriving area that is "the" town on the I-40 E/W corridor from the capitol city to the OK border. I really don't consider this out in the middle of nowhere since we're a little over an hour to Little Rock, and an easy hour at that. Which of the metropolises of Crawford County do you live in? Not knocking it at all - the scenery is absolutely gorgeous, but Van Buren is the only town of any size...some might consider Crawford to be in the middle of nowhere!

Old 12-21-2007, 11:42 AM

564 posts, read 2,341,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas3333 View Post
middle of no where
Really? Tell that to the 50,000+ I battle with in traffic at 5 pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas