Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 12:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times

Advertisements

Is this true?? I just saw this on the news this AM and it seems to be some type of festival or something with everyone cooking squirrels and making different dishes. Sorta like a contest.

It seems like some people would object to this but they all seemed very happy, eating their squirrel food.
Not a dish I would ever try, for sure. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 12:43 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times
I saw that on CBS Sunday morning show also. Squirrel is good cooked properly, and at a time was a mainstay of food for poor southerners. When I lived there I spent many a day squirrel hunting with a .22 rifle. Kids learned hunting basic squirrel hunting. Give them a .22 or a .410 shotgun and let them loose to bring home supper. Coat the squirrel with flour and deep fry. Tasty. I don't remember the National Squirrel Festival, they must have started it after I moved away.

Looks like fun.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:40 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,650,547 times
I was born and raised in south Louisiana and squirrel is a common food to hunt and cook there too. Maybe it's not common everywhere though. My husband and sons like to hunt squirrel and I cook them in a large pot, sort of like a stew. I don't really care for the taste myself.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:43 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,863,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Is this true?? I just saw this on the news this AM and it seems to be some type of festival or something with everyone cooking squirrels and making different dishes. Sorta like a contest.

It seems like some people would object to this but they all seemed very happy, eating their squirrel food.
You have to be from the city. Believe me when I tell you that when fixed correctly young rabbit, squirrel, pheasant,quail etc is some of the be eating on the Planet.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:17 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times
Link for the confused -

Home

Old 11-29-2015, 04:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,502,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

I've had it several times here in Oklahoma. You have to shoot a mess of 'em to get enough meat though.

It tastes very good. Not "gamey" at all. Fried squirrel really does taste like fried chicken, just saltier and a tad slicker.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:48 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,615 times
The event is sort of a "we get the hillbilly jokes" type of event.

Bentonville has several fine restaurants. Squirrel is not on the menu.

And for the record, when I was a kid, I shot a squirrel with a bb gun, and built a "campfire" to put it on a spit and BBQ it. I did the same a few times when I caught perch. Only time I've ever had squirrel!!

Old 11-30-2015, 03:13 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
From 1952, presented without comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IGhyPB0NAw

Old 11-30-2015, 04:59 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,338 times
Don't knock it 'til ya try it.

I will say it takes a lot more talent to make wild game tasty than it does to fix up a good dish of domestic meat.

Squirrel is great when it's fixed right.

Rattlesnake tastes a good bit like chicken.

I was raised in the north. Back when I was a kid, folks that hunted actually ate what they shot because money was scarce to put food on the table.

The only trophy hunters we heard about were the city slickers who looked like they had just stepped out of "Field and Stream"; a hunting/fishing magazine that's been around since Moby Dick was a minnow

Sorry folks but the thread title stuck out like a sore thumb and I just had to comment. I will now go back to my retirement corner in Middle Tennessee

Old 11-30-2015, 06:31 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times
When we were kids, we frequently had squirrel or rabbit because my dad hunted. This was in rural Upstate NY. I definitely prefer squirrel or rabbit to venison, but none of my friends or relatives bother to hunt small game; they're all deer, turkey or varmint hunters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas