Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 06:23 AM

13 posts, read 12,974 times

Advertisements

Trying to find an cabin for under $150 a night is tough. So many places to go. who has the best trout fishing? best food? best small town quaint shops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 06:24 AM

I've heard Lake Ouachita has some of the most beautiful crystal clear water?

Old 01-26-2016, 07:04 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Hemmed-In Hollow is the highest waterfall in Arkansas...and also the highest one between the Rockies and the Appalachians.

Hope I get to see it someday...the hike down is murder, but you can get to it more easily from the Buffalo.
Thanks for the info - learned something this morning. It certainly appears that Hemmed-In Hollow Falls is difficult to access, unlike Petit Jean's easily accessible Cedar Falls (at least, the main overlook is easy, reached by a series of wooden stairs and ramps. The hike to the base of the falls is much more demanding).

Cedar Falls is much larger in flow than Hemmed-In Hollow Falls, but the later waterfall "falls farther". However, both waterfalls are spectacular and great assets to their state!

Old 01-26-2016, 07:22 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesgood1970 View Post
Trying to find an cabin for under $150 a night is tough. So many places to go. who has the best trout fishing? best food? best small town quaint shops?
Try VRBO.com to find a cabin. That's where most of the private cabin owners advertise. I own a rental cabin in Jasper but it's not near fishing like you are wanting. The *thick* ozark mountains and good fishing are going to be in two different areas, so if trout fishing is more of what you're after, maybe try near Bull Shoals lake?

Maybe you'd want to stay in a couple different areas to experience a variety of the state? As for quaint little shops, I'd have to agree with Eureka Springs. I haven't even been there yet myself but from the info I've seen, it meets that criteria. I can't wait to visit it too.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:51 AM

Eureka Springs used to pretty much shut down in the winter - I'm not sure if this is still the case, or if things open up again as early as March.

Another area you might enjoy would be Mountain View, with the Arkansas Folk Center (State Park), nearby fishing and boating, and the spectacular Blanchard Springs Cavern, in the beautiful Ozark National Forest. The town is quaint, with lots of antique shops, and you can hear traditional music both at the Folk Center and at various venues in town. The park offers a bluegrass festival on March 10, which opens the 2016 season.

The Folk Center has "cabins" which are extremely comfortable but which lack kitchens (they do have refrigerators and coffee makers). There is also a "village" of craftspeople making and selling various wares (this will not be open for the season until late March), plus a nice restaurant with glass walls on three sides, offering views into the surrounding woods. Raccoons and other wildlife are regular early evening visitors, enjoying their snacks on the other side of the window-walls. The restaurant's regular season also begins on March 10.

Cabin rates are very reasonable -under $75 a night during the off-season.

Lots of possibilities from which to choose, in Arkansas...

Old 01-26-2016, 12:31 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Cedar Falls is much larger in flow than Hemmed-In Hollow Falls, but the later waterfall "falls farther". However, both waterfalls are spectacular and great assets to their state!
That's the truth!

Old 01-26-2016, 12:35 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Another area you might enjoy would be Mountain View, with the Arkansas Folk Center (State Park), nearby fishing and boating, and the spectacular Blanchard Springs Cavern, in the beautiful Ozark National Forest. Yes, I think if trout fishing is #1 on their list, this would be the best option.

Lots of possibilities from which to choose, in Arkansas...Heartily agree....it would take years of vacations to see just part of it!

Old 01-26-2016, 09:51 PM

It sounds like we will definitely be there during the off season. Very beginning of March. Honeymoon. But I am finding cabins easily ranging in the $200s. I am wondering if most things won't be open for spring by that point?

Old 01-26-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesgood1970 View Post
It sounds like we will definitely be there during the off season. Very beginning of March. Honeymoon. But I am finding cabins easily ranging in the $200s. I am wondering if most things won't be open for spring by that point?
Petit Jean State Park cabins are $118 per night. The "rustic" cabins were built by the CCC, include woodburning fireplaces and fully equiped kitchens, and are beautifully situated on the bluff of Cedar Canyon.
You can find photos and more info on the PJ website.

Check them out. PJ is open year-round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:07 PM

Blanchard springs seems very pretty. Is there lots to do in a town nearby as well?
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas