Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:35 PM

870 posts, read 3,081,969 times

Advertisements

Are you guys under water yet?!? http://bestsmileys.com/water/2.gif (broken link) I hope not!!!

Our company supervisor was down to the Rogers area today and said that Bela Vista Golf Course was flooded, bad!! He said you could just barely see the tops of some of the flags on the tees. BUT, then he said that right out in the big middle of everything, there was a sprinkler head shooting off! Somebody please turn off the water!!!

http://bestsmileys.com/sports3/20.gif (broken link)

Table Rock Dam is wide open today! Branson is going under, too! They evacuated Branson Landing and downtown! Taneycomo is expected to rise another 3-4 feet TODAY! Then, of course THAT water will go south, too!

If you are in a low lying area, time to GO!! Sending prayers and good thoughts, but what you really need is a BOAT! http://bestsmileys.com/water/13.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 02:42 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
They opened Beaver Dam all the way this afternoon, too. I hope the people down river who are still trying to clean up aren't badly affected.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:46 PM

350 posts, read 1,288,505 times
Remmel Dam opened as Lake Catherine was flooding nearby homes, so avoid the Ouachita River.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
wow, and here we are, praying for just a little rain. Anything will help. Albuquerque did get some yesterday, not us. We haven't had any since last summer. As cold as our winter was we got almost no snow or rain. We have had more wind this year than any year recorded or almost: our fire hazard is so high we can't use our gas grills. It just doesn't make any sense does it?

Nita

Old 04-10-2008, 03:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
They've had to open Norfork dam as well. The Buffalo River is closed because it's over flood stage. They're projecting the White River is going to flood again tomorrow, possibly 5 feet higher than it was three weeks ago.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:19 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
It's supposed to crest at Calico Rock today about 1:00 p.m., 3 feet over flood stage. The dams had to be opened because the water was coming over the gates. I suspect we will sustain major damage since we're right on the White River in Mtn. View. Sigh. We just got everything torn out from the last flood, and this one is supposed to be worse. We were told our cabins were in a 100 year flood plain - this makes 3 times in 25 years. We're at least 150 yards or so from the river, up on a hill. The water made it in last time, so....crud.

There's some pretty major flooding in NLR around Pershing/Percy Machin. Pix in today's Dem Gaz.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:45 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
It's supposed to crest at Calico Rock today about 1:00 p.m., 3 feet over flood stage. The dams had to be opened because the water was coming over the gates. I suspect we will sustain major damage since we're right on the White River in Mtn. View. Sigh. We just got everything torn out from the last flood, and this one is supposed to be worse. We were told our cabins were in a 100 year flood plain - this makes 3 times in 25 years. We're at least 150 yards or so from the river, up on a hill. The water made it in last time, so....crud.

There's some pretty major flooding in NLR around Pershing/Percy Machin. Pix in today's Dem Gaz.
Hows my drive over this afternoon gonna be re:the flooding?

Old 04-11-2008, 06:01 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
I've forgotten where you're coming from, Dan, but Pershing is pretty low-lying. May not be a problem at all. You'll probably see the Arkansas River at about the highest it has been. I, on the other hand, appear to be headed north to the cabins, which we are expecting to all but lose this time around...according to the neighbors, the bridge at Allison will be closed off sometime late this morning...but that was last night, I don't know how things stand today. That's WAY north of where you are headed, though. Will call you later.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:34 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,326 times
Default Y'all beat me to it!

I'm setting on the deck having coffee, watching the deer, after a harried day yesterday, and I'm thinking..."I'll post the flood info round here", and...shazaam. There ya all are.

So, made a sin run to Thayer, routed around the one low-water bridge we had to cross, and headed down the red dirt road. Came to where we cross the Strawberry locally, and see cars & trucks up ahead, and folks scurrying about.

Find out they're all taking pictures. Strawberry's about 3 times as wide as normal, and about a foot under the old bridge, and has flooded a hay field.

A real sight.

Get into Hardy at the bridge at the Spring River, and all the riverside houses are flooded, those "stilt houses" that some of y'all might know, have got water up to their bottoms, and the Spring is looking more like the Mississippi.

Get into Mammoth Springs, and the river's still rising, and the Spring has breached levies and covered or partially submerged all withing sight of it's banks. Took out one wooden bridge, and boat docks are floating down the river.

In Thayer, same thing. Lots of cars, trucks, cameras, news crews.

Got to my "regular" package store, and...no power. Everything near the river is out. We chat in the dark, do the deed, and then head back.

Stopped at the country restaurant in Hardy to eat, and ambulance crews are coming in complaining about the rescues they've been doing for people coming in who have vacation homes by the river and just rushed in from <wherever> to see if they have water in their cabin.

Tourist couple sitting near us, we're all watching Vicksburg getting flooded on TV, ambulance crews are asking how soon the Hardy bridge will be closed and that the White has breeched in Batesville, etc., and in walks a Game & Fish officer. Looking very worn out.

Mr. Tourist perks up, and when he can make eye contact with the G & F officer, says, "How's the fishing on the Spring?".

OK, a "Kodak moment".

It defined, "pregnant silence".

G & F finally says, "Not very good, I'd bet". Shakes his head and walks away.

Me...I woulda said, "PRETTY GOOD BY BOAT, HOSS!!".

A lttle bleach in the ol' gene pool.

On the way back, we found the Strawberry had breeched, road was gone, and we had to drive 20 miles around to get back up on the hill.

It's still rising today, folks.

As mentioned, flood gates are open on the Norfork.

Sorry to hear about your cabin, Sam.

The rivers giveth, and they sure nuff take away.

About August, with the brown crunchy grass, and cow ponds drying up, we'd be begging for some rain.

Last edited by RogMar; 04-11-2008 at 08:04 AM..

Old 04-11-2008, 07:51 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,760,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
About August, with the brown crunchy grass, and cow ponds drying up, we'd be begging for some rain.
I was thinking the exact same thing last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas