Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 04:48 AM

2 posts, read 10,791 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Fort Smith this summer. I am interested in getting information on housing and schools, both public and private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 09:53 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe Nim View Post
My family and I are moving to Fort Smith this summer. I am interested in getting information on housing and schools, both public and private.
For public schools, Van Buren and Alma are both very good school districts. Fort Smith schools are good too as long as you are on the south side. Avoid Greenwood if you aren't a native - they aren't very accepting to outsiders. Ft. Smith is a very "Bible Belt" town and all private schools in the area are highly fundamentalist Christian in nature. In my opinion the public schools I listed above are great so there is no reason to go private unless you want to shield your kids from mainstream science.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 10,791 times
Is that true even of the Montessori school?

Old 05-15-2008, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 13,453 times
I agree. My daughter attends Euper Lane, and they sing Christian songs in school. Odd to me, as I'm from California and we didn't discuss religion or politics in school. Athough, Euper Lane is a wonderful school and has very high standards that I for one, appreciate. Very true also about Greenwood. My friend and her husband, who is a police officer, tell me horrible stories about running out minorities, among other things. Very scary.

Last edited by shksprsys; 05-15-2008 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: Forgot a point

Old 05-16-2008, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 7,831 times
My family is also possibly moving to Fort Smith this summer. We are flying out there on Monday. We have folks from my husbands company along with a Realtor showing us around. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we should see or do.

I want to get a good feel for this place in 3 days if that is possible. We have young children so we are interested in what the city has to offer its youth.

Thanks in advance for any replies. I've enjoyed reading about Arkansas on this forum.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:36 PM

10 posts, read 25,859 times
Default Fort Smith is GREAT!

I have one brother in FT. Smith and 4 brothers that live in Hackett. Loads of Aunts ,Uncles and Cousins. You will Love it. Go to the Hanging Judge Parkers Museum for a good look at the old history. I lived there for 6 years and really miss it. I now live in NC and it just isn't the same!

Old 05-18-2008, 06:42 PM

5 posts, read 20,073 times
What is Ft. Smith like for people in their 20's? I have been offered a job and will likely be moving there in July or August. I intend to visit it soon, but it's always helpful to hear what other people have to say. So far all I've been told is that it's quieter and there isn't as much to do as there would be in a larger city, which makes sense (and doesn't affect me much). I love the outdoors and I heard the scenery is gorgeous!

Old 05-18-2008, 09:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagadelic60 View Post
What is Ft. Smith like for people in their 20's? I have been offered a job and will likely be moving there in July or August. I intend to visit it soon, but it's always helpful to hear what other people have to say. So far all I've been told is that it's quieter and there isn't as much to do as there would be in a larger city, which makes sense (and doesn't affect me much). I love the outdoors and I heard the scenery is gorgeous!
If you like the outdoors you might like it. The Ozark and Ouachita national forest areas are amazing. Ft. Smith, in general, caters to an older population and there isn't much there for young people. Most college students drive up to Fayetteville on weekends because thats where the nightlife is.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 13,453 times
Default 20's

I agree with prev. poster that there isn't much to do for the younger crowd, unless you have kids like I do, then there are a lot of parks...etc. We are outdorsy in our off time and enjoy driving up to to Devil's Den and Fayetteville. Mountain biking is good about 45 mins out if you don't mind the drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas