Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,799 times

Advertisements

it sickens me to think they can have such an impact, they are coming to my hometown next week to protest at a funeral of a fallen hero..they are not a church, they are a cult, a hate group, and most of all, they take the word of God completely out of context, which makes them false. and they know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 10:46 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,341 times
Westboro Baptist Church doesn't have any impact. They are just a bunch of GD nuts. It's still a free country. Just let em do what they do and ignore em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyssa View Post
it sickens me to think they can have such an impact, they are coming to my hometown next week to protest at a funeral of a fallen hero..they are not a church, they are a cult, a hate group, and most of all, they take the word of God completely out of context, which makes them false. and they know it.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:26 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
How is it not illegal to ruin someone's funeral? That is despicable.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:26 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
How is it not illegal to ruin someone's funeral? That is despicable.

It's called free speech and that right is worthless unless it protects even that speech we find vulgar and offensive.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:48 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It's called free speech and that right is worthless unless it protects even that speech we find vulgar and offensive.
Indeed.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:52 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
We do have limitations on free speech in America. Although this situation is not yet protected, protesting a funeral is much more than vulgar or offensive; it disrespects the most basic of our cultural values and rituals.

I don't agree with the wars we are in, but I believe that there is a special place in Hell for people who disrupt funerals for people who were merely following orders just for the sake of trying to gain a few seconds on the local news that evening.

BTW, the Supreme Court will be taking this argument in the next term.

Westboro Baptist Church tells Supreme Court funeral protests protected - baltimoresun.com

Last edited by Dr. Foosball; 07-12-2010 at 10:03 AM..

Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 AM

731 posts, read 1,367,341 times
They need to be kept at a reasonable distance from the funeral. If they carried on with this stuff at a movie or baseball game, they would be removed for trespassing.

Is public intoxication havering considered free speech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
We do have limitations on free speech in America. Although this situation is not yet protected, protesting a funeral is much more than vulgar or offensive; it disrespects the most basic of our cultural values and rituals.

I don't agree with the wars we are in, but I believe that there is a special place in Hell for people who disrupt funerals for people who were merely following orders just for the sake of trying to gain a few seconds on the local news that evening.

BTW, the Supreme Court will be taking this argument in the next term.

Westboro Baptist Church tells Supreme Court funeral protests protected - baltimoresun.com

Old 07-13-2010, 03:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,799 times
you are right we should ignore them, the patriot guard riders are coming to support the family in their time of need. i think if we get enough people there it will be easier to ignore them..

Old 07-13-2010, 03:46 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,335 times
As a member of the Patriot Guard Riders I have been to many funerals of KIA and veterans. The Westboro Baptist "Church" seems to show up only at the funerals of the killed in action. IMO it's because they know that the media is most likely to be there for the most recent burials. At this time it's their right to be there but it's also our right to stand between them and the families of the fallen warrior so the families cannot see them. More times than not, it works. There is a specified distance that they have to adhere to and it varies with each state. I believe, in Arkansas, it's 500 ft.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:20 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
As a member of the Patriot Guard Riders

As a Viet Nam vet, and *long* time former member of the Blue Knights, consider yourself high-fived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: