Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 09:00 AM

156 posts, read 377,614 times

Advertisements

I've been reading various posts by folks looking to relocate to Arkansas ... something my wife and myself have been considering for a few years. We're southern Indiana residents, accustomed to heat and humidity ... so cautions about that aspect will probably go unheeded (smile). We built our dream home here in 1996 and spent 10 years in a remote subdivision in relative paradise. We thought this subdivision would populate slowly and even then not cause concern about encroaching neighbors, since all 35 lots are 4 - 6 acre lots. We love people, but when 3 adjacent newcomers build within 100 feet of our landscaped property lines we feel "pinched". Time to rethink.

We checked out north central Arkansas last year, focusing primarily along a north-south line from Mountain Home to Heber Springs. We loved the atmosphere there, but now want to check out the southwest side of the State.

This year we'll begin our 2nd search at Mena, then search southward toward Texarkana. Our priorities would include a home in the $200K range, rural setting with some woods and reasonable access to business/medical facilities (50mi). Any tips beforehand would be greatly appreciated for a senior "active" couple who love the green outdoors and critters. We've noticed some discussion regarding the extension of some major highway in the area and having recently been through that same experience here in our neck of the woods (I-69) ... we wouldn't look forward to more.

Thanks to all you local folks who kindly respond.

Roger
Solsberry, IN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Follow-up ...

From time to time over the years I've heard residents of Arkansas mention the positives of living in/near Hot Springs along with the area north of Hot Springs. My visit showed most of that area to be relatively untouched and quiet. Not having toured other parts of Arkansas, I was wondering if there is any particular aspect of that region which might make it a more favorable spot for retirees looking for lower cost of living plus solitude? How does it compare to Mena and south toward Texarkana?

Old 02-11-2007, 01:56 PM

297 posts, read 1,300,428 times
Default Hot Springs.....simply beautiful!

The Hot Springs area is more scenic and beautiful. They have a great hospitals and you are closer to Little Rock if more medical care is needed. Above Conway is scenic also with rolling hills. Good luck on your quest for beauty and peaceful surroundings.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:45 PM

Default anjoe ...

Thank you for that piece of info. I'll press my luck here and ask if you are equally familiar with the terrain and the facilities near Mena and even further south. I would venture a guess that adequate medical care could be found in Texarkana if someone lived way south.

The reason for looking further south is to gain even warmer temps than might be found annually toward the northern part of the State. Also, the Quachita Nat'l Forest is a bit intriguing to me, along with hiking, fishing opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas