Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Lady View Post
DC, I think you have given voice to the heart of the issue. I was out of state when this went down talking with a company that ended any conversation about building plant in Arkansas when they heard the out come. It made Arkansas look bad and made me mad because it is a false image.

I wish everyone would let members of our legislature know we don't want issues on our ballots that are so confusing you don't really understand what you are voting for or against.
confusing issues I agree, but this isn't just in AR, my daughter, in Fl says she and hubby study every issue for hours before voting because so often, voting yes, means "no" and visa versa... We lived in Ca for 40 years, the same thing, so don't get the idea it is just this state. As for a major company not re-locating here because of one issue makes me wonder? I find this very hard to believe, but of course I don't know what company you are referring to. Truely large, national companies would not decide not to move or build a plant somewhere :because of one social issue, nor would they voice this to someone, other than one of their executives... this makes absolutely no sense.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 11:27 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
confusing issues I agree, but this isn't just in AR, my daughter, in Fl says she and hubby study every issue for hours before voting because so often, voting yes, means "no" and visa versa... We lived in Ca for 40 years, the same thing, so don't get the idea it is just this state. As for a major company not re-locating here because of one issue makes me wonder? I find this very hard to believe, but of course I don't know what company you are referring to. Truely large, national companies would not decide not to move or build a plant somewhere :because of one social issue, nor would they voice this to someone, other than one of their executives... this makes absolutely no sense.

Nita
I don't know about the other states that you mentioned but my thoughts would be the same for them. Playing tricks isn't fair anywhere. I had an inside track because I am related to one of the owners and was hired as an consultant on another issue. Maybe the fact that there are a couple of gay people on their board that they highly value. Maybe the fact that there are other states that won't be adversely in the news for the next few years. It wasn't the only issue but it was the straw that broke the deal. I am proud they put a high priority on people's feelings.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:52 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
I don't know about the other states that you mentioned but my thoughts would be the same for them. Playing tricks isn't fair anywhere. I had an inside track because I am related to one of the owners and was hired as an consultant on another issue. Maybe the fact that there are a couple of gay people on their board that they highly value. Maybe the fact that there are other states that won't be adversely in the news for the next few years. It wasn't the only issue but it was the straw that broke the deal. I am proud they put a high priority on people's feelings.
Some people's emotions run high on this, Clay Lady, but I would truely hope that this Act would not be the sealing deal on a business decsision.

Or maybe I would.

In business, as in world cinflict, a cool head and thoughtful decisions determine the winner.

As I think about with most decisions, "Don't burn the long term for the short term".

We have seen unprecedented incompetence in the American business/financial market, and *everybody* is paying something for that right now.

For a business to choose a state as a viable and profitible base for their enterprise, and then pull out because some of the staff may be offended by a portion of the states outlook on alternative lifestyle...........

You know what I mean?

If I were going to invest in that company, and we're doing good, how do I know they're not going to fold and pull out because they're CEO got in an argument with the cashier at the Piggly Wiggly on his lunch hour?

Cool heads need to chart the course.

Not disagreeing with ya, just sitting on the hill and trying to see the whole field.......

Old 11-17-2008, 12:06 PM

148 posts, read 350,717 times
Clay Lady, just out of curiousity, was it Thyssen Krupp Steel AG? I know they and Toyota were considering Arkansas as of January '07 but I think Toyota went with Tennessee, yes? Employers want to be located in places where all of their employees will feel welcome to pursue their personal and economic goals.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
For a business to choose a state as a viable and profitible base for their enterprise, and then pull out because some of the staff may be offended by a portion of the states outlook on alternative lifestyle...........

You know what I mean?

If I were going to invest in that company, and we're doing good, how do I know they're not going to fold and pull out because they're CEO got in an argument with the cashier at the Piggly Wiggly on his lunch hour?
Arkansas was not the only state being looked at. I don't know any company that doesn't look at more than one state for expansion.

IMO your remarks make fun of a serious situation for some people and in no way compare to the reality. This issue is hardly "an argument with a cashier". I am shocked at the lack of compassion and acceptance, but then that is how this issue looks. It reflects badly on the state. If no body else knows - I know - there are non-gay people that have abused children in their care in Arkansas. Nothing has been done to prevent them from fostering children. Does that make it OK? Of course not, but there is no big news story that lumps them all together and faults all caring people because of who they are.

If the people of Arkansas don't want to be welcoming to anyone that is different then WHATEVER. Maybe that is the answer. I personally like different - I like to color with all the colors and not limit myself to just a few.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:47 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
IMO your remarks make fun of a serious situation for some people and in no way compare to the reality. This issue is hardly "an argument with a cashier". I am shocked at the lack of compassion and acceptance, but then that is how this issue looks.
I apologize, Clay Lady, that you took it that way, that's not the way it was intended.

For a business to make a decision of that depth, because, as I understand it, they may have a couple of employees that they value that are gay and may feel uncomfortable....

Show me a state that they may not feel uncomfortable in.

I've lived in cities that have large gay communities, but even they know that they have to cool their jets in other venues.

A refusal to express some conformity in a different environment is no better than a refusal to accept different elements in your own, as far as I'm concerned.

When I'm in church, I don't paw Mrs. RogMar, as much as I'd like to.

When I'm sitting in a poker game in somebodys barn, I don't choose that time to talk about how good the Lord is to us.

Don't you think a degree of conformity is called for. A degree of compliance?

Tolerance exists at different levels in different places. The point is to define what's priorities in one's life, and then find your semi-nirvana, not to go in against the odds, and then stomp your feet when teh tidedidn't turn for you.

I live about as rural as you can get, and yes, we have gays around, who doesn't? They don't make any deal out of it, and neither does anybody else.

But in an urban environment, where there is more open mindedness, they have a problem?

If I went to the River Walk fresh from hunting, with my cammos on and deer guts still stuck to my boots, nobody's going to have a problem with me standing in line for my latte'?

Old 11-19-2008, 05:24 PM

I am sure hope everyone is very glad Tony Alamo in Texarkana provided a good Christian environment for the children under his care. I'm wondering if Christian's will be the next to be banned by an Act similiar to Act 1.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I am sure hope everyone is very glad Tony Alamo in Texarkana provided a good Christian environment for the children under his care. I'm wondering if Christian's will be the next to be banned by an Act similiar to Act 1.
Clay Lady, I don't think anyone in his/her right mind, Christian or whatever would put Tony in a Christian catagory, he is sick, simple and outright, just like the priests that molested so many young boys. This is not the Catholic church, but a sick group, Tony is not representative of good Christian relegion and you know that!!!!!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:59 PM

148 posts, read 350,717 times
I think the point is that heterosexual relationships don't guarantee good parenting. Christianity doesn't guarantee good parenting and gay/lesbian relationships don't equal bad parenting. What is good Christian religion, anyway?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezyone View Post
I think the point is that heterosexual relationships don't guarantee good parenting. Christianity doesn't guarantee good parenting and gay/lesbian relationships don't equal bad parenting. What is good Christian religion, anyway?
Well it certainly isn't what he was preaching and doing!!!!

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas