Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 02:09 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Last weekend I had my 7-year old nephew, and I took him out hiking for part of the day. It was early morning, and we came across some slugs. He told me if you licked the bottom of slugs, your mouth would go numb. Okay, great, not that I'd ever lick the bottom of slugs, but awesome that you know that, kiddo. So today I do some research, and it turns out that that is absolutely true. And, that American Indians used to put slugs into their mouths to relieve toothaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 02:44 PM

570 posts, read 1,583,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Last weekend I had my 7-year old nephew, and I took him out hiking for part of the day. It was early morning, and we came across some slugs. He told me if you licked the bottom of slugs, your mouth would go numb. Okay, great, not that I'd ever lick the bottom of slugs, but awesome that you know that, kiddo. So today I do some research, and it turns out that that is absolutely true. And, that American Indians used to put slugs into their mouths to relieve toothaches.
What do the slugs think about that?

Old 08-03-2009, 03:12 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
What do the slugs think about that?
I suspect they think "ugh!"

Old 08-04-2009, 02:10 PM

763 posts, read 2,661,238 times
That tooth would sure have to be hurting mighty bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2009, 06:34 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
Might be the slug liked it...........

Old 08-04-2009, 11:41 PM

94 posts, read 211,006 times
Up in Pennsylvania, some kids from my High School used to eat or swallow worms whole, for the fun of it. (I NEVER will.) Some insects, bugs, slugs, etc.. can make you ill, and possible die from it. Hate to say it, but it is true. I've seen alot of disturbing things that people do, but you have to be crazy or dumb enough to do something like that. Actually, I guess it is not that dumb, if you had to live on an Island in the jungle. Guess, eating or licking bugs would called "surviving." Have anyone ever watched the movie "Hatchet"? It's kinda of an old movie, not too old. (about 10 years)

Old 08-05-2009, 07:58 AM

499 posts, read 2,157,122 times
I wonder who was the first person to try it, and what made him or her put the slug in the mouth to begin with!

I've had a bad toothache, but I still dont' think I'd put a slug in my mouth.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:04 PM

94 posts, read 211,006 times
Have to agree.

With toothaches, the scientists created medication for things like that. That doesn't involve slugs, as far as we know. Kids and parents these days, don't care about anything anymore and their own children. Kids don't know any better. Someday, I will be a parent. I would never let my children eat, lick or play with the any bugs, insects, slugs, etc... Do you know where the creatures been?
People can learn something from Discovery and History channels. If they don't watch tv, there is alot other sources people can learn about things.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Sixty years ago life was a bit different. Kids did stuff behind their parents back, just like they do today. The difference is the doctors. Then, doctors laughed. Today, unless you find an old country doctor, you'll get HMO doctors that insist you must spend an obscene amount of money for tests and preventive medicine. UGH!!!

Old 08-05-2009, 02:18 PM

499 posts, read 2,157,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Sixty years ago life was a bit different. Kids did stuff behind their parents back, just like they do today. The difference is the doctors. Then, doctors laughed. Today, unless you find an old country doctor, you'll get HMO doctors that insist you must spend an obscene amount of money for tests and preventive medicine. UGH!!!
100 years ago, the doctor might have given you something like clove or mint oil to help numb the pain, maybe a hit of whiskey if you were over the age of 15.

Today they'd have a disorder named for it, like CTD (Chronic Toothache Disorder). Spend thousands researching it, all so you can spend a day's pay for medication (that still just has clove or mint oil as a base) and of course another 2 day's pay for the office visit just to get you the prescription for the naturally occurring substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas