Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 05:53 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Yes, this is true, but for many years they were not there: the only reason so many are located in So Ca now is just what you are saying: there are only now, 2 major dept chains, Broadway, Bullocks, May Co, Robinsons, etc have all gone under one company. So many of them have been changed to Macy's. I believe the only 2 mid priced chains are Federated and Dillards. I could be wrong on that. I know a lot of people want to say Macy's is upscale, I disagree, Neiman Marcus and Norstrums are upscale. Macy's is part of the Federated group.

Nita
Macy's is more upscale than Dillards...just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 07:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Macy's is more upscale than Dillards...just my opinion.
I know some do feel that way, but they actually carry many of the same brands, certainly in clothing. I really, still put them in the mid dept store range, higher than Penny's but certainly not real upscale. I guess it is a matter of opinion. I think this is even more true since they became part of Federated. Federated consists of many of the old dept stores, those of us, much older than you grew up with and they were considered mid range. Again, this is a debate that probably is strickly subjective and there isn't a right answer..

Nita

Old 10-29-2009, 07:44 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,316,168 times
Bloomingdale's was a Federated store -- and few would argue that Bloomingdale's is anything but upscale. Same for Lord & Taylor.

Federated no longer exists as 'Federated' btw. It's now just Macy's Inc.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Bloomingdale's was a Federated store -- and few would argue that Bloomingdale's is anything but upscale. Same for Lord & Taylor.

Federated no longer exists as 'Federated' btw. It's now just Macy's Inc.
yes, you are right, but Bloomingdale's and Lord and Taylor were not always part of Federated. This goes back 50 years. Federated starting buying out or merging with some to these dept stores in the 70s, mostly in the 80s and 90s. That was the big change over. For those who lived in Ca then, Bullocks and Robinsons were considered more upscale than Broadway and May Co. As they all became one, they became very similar. The same in the D.C. area and the Dallas area.

Nita

Old 10-29-2009, 11:19 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,316,168 times
True.

I'm originally from West Tennessee, where we had Goldsmith's, which was a pretty upscale chain. Macy's/Federated bought out Goldsmith's and made all the Goldsmith's stores Macy's stores. So my perception of Macy's as rather upscale is based more on Goldsmith's reputation than Macy's itself -- if that makes any sense. I haven't been into a Macy's in years, so I'm clueless about what kind of stuff they offer now.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:48 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
I interviewed a man this last summer who was a manager of a retail store in Fort Smith many years ago. He talked about how he would go to conventions in New York and Los Angeles to buy new products and he made it clear that what was considered "upscale" in this are was considered "midscale" in the bigger cities. He also said that people around here would not have been able to afford the real "upscale" clothing.

I don't know if this is still the same way, but I would bet it is.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:52 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
I interviewed a man this last summer who was a manager of a retail store in Fort Smith many years ago. He talked about how he would go to conventions in New York and Los Angeles to buy new products and he made it clear that what was considered "upscale" in this are was considered "midscale" in the bigger cities. He also said that people around here would not have been able to afford the real "upscale" clothing.

I don't know if this is still the same way, but I would bet it is.
I think there are people around here who could "afford" real "upscale" clothing, but you know, flying to Chicago or New York or even Dallas for a shopping spree is more fun than a shopping spree in Ft Smith.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:12 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think there are people around here who could "afford" real "upscale" clothing, but you know, flying to Chicago or New York or even Dallas for a shopping spree is more fun than a shopping spree in Ft Smith.
Agreed. My wife drives to Tulsa and Dallas to do some real shopping.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:13 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
It is very common for high school girls to drive to Dallas to get prom dresses.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:13 PM

34 posts, read 73,285 times
I see there are adds for holiday sales associates at the Fort Smith Macy's on a couple of sites. Thats strange considering there is no Macy's in Fort Smith.

Sales Associate Jobs in Fort Smith, AR | Indeed.com

Last edited by Good Ol Kahn; 10-30-2009 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Grammatical
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas