Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:39 PM

369 posts, read 1,301,777 times

Advertisements

Who's idea was it to make the Clinton Library look like a giant mobile home? Arkansas is already stereotyped as having a lot of mobile homes, and having a presidential library that looks like one does not help our image at all. I would pay more in taxes to make the outside of that place more attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 03:25 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
But have you been inside it? It IS lovely (this coming from the only human in Arkansas who doesn't hold Bill Clinton up as a god of sorts)...as I understand it, Bill picked the architectural design. Believe it or not, the firm that designed it, Polshek Partnership Architects of New York, won an award for that atrocity. Yep, looks like a mobile home on the outside, but the inside is very sleek and very 21st century....the glass-walled library is gorgeous. But it still looks like a 1970's mobile home.....guess Bill ain't got much taste in women or buildings... :-) (and I'm not going to mention which woman!)

Old 06-09-2007, 04:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
But have you been inside it? It IS lovely (this coming from the only human in Arkansas who doesn't hold Bill Clinton up as a god of sorts)...as I understand it, Bill picked the architectural design. Believe it or not, the firm that designed it, Polshek Partnership Architects of New York, won an award for that atrocity. Yep, looks like a mobile home on the outside, but the inside is very sleek and very 21st century....the glass-walled library is gorgeous. But it still looks like a 1970's mobile home.....guess Bill ain't got much taste in women or buildings... :-) (and I'm not going to mention which woman!)
Sam, there are two who don't hold him in very high esteme, my granddaughter's boyfriend who is just a plain ole country boy from AR who is embarrassed to admit Mr CLinton is from AR. I think one of the reasons hubby didn't want to consider AR for years was Clinton. I am not that narrow minded, that's for sure.

Well, I guess our political views are out in the open now, huh?

Nita

Old 06-09-2007, 05:25 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
Nita, we just keep meeting! I think you should consider Russellville as your new home! And it sounds like granddaughter's boyfriend is a fine young man with a mind of his own! I really think you should give the river valley a try - but Bella Vista and OK are nice as well (it's just better here :-) )

Well - I wouldn't let Bill keep me out of the state but Hillary? that's another topic for another thread! I will give Bill one thing - he is the consummate politician with an amazing power of recall of names MONTHS after meeting someone. Both of my sons are Democrats - one met him at a political function, the other when he was a caddy at the Alotian Club in Little Rock. Several months later they saw him at another golf course and he instantly remembered both their names (which made them almost swoon and me almost ***, but whatever...) I gotta give the man credit for being able to schmooze with the best of them!

Old 06-14-2007, 09:30 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,377,292 times
I thought it was officially called the Clinton Library and Massage Parlor.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:48 AM

388 posts, read 1,784,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
Who's idea was it to make the Clinton Library look like a giant mobile home? Arkansas is already stereotyped as having a lot of mobile homes, and having a presidential library that looks like one does not help our image at all. I would pay more in taxes to make the outside of that place more attractive.
Is a ugly son-of-a gun, isn't it?

Most of the folks I know aren't overly fond of the Clintons and have never been inside it. Since I'm also in that category, I doubt I'll ever set foot inside, but every time I drive past it I have to laugh at the outside appearance.

It really does look like a singlewide on stilts along some lazy river somewhere.

All it needs is some discarded porcelain as yard art.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:59 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
Is a ugly son-of-a gun, isn't it?

Most of the folks I know aren't overly fond of the Clintons and have never been inside it. Since I'm also in that category, I doubt I'll ever set foot inside, but every time I drive past it I have to laugh at the outside appearance.

It really does look like a singlewide on stilts along some lazy river somewhere.

All it needs is some discarded porcelain as yard art.
Just another Arkansan here not fond of the Clintons, the only way id go to it, is if my kids have a field trip there. And to add to the yard...several old cars and dogs, lots of em.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Nita, we just keep meeting! I think you should consider Russellville as your new home! And it sounds like granddaughter's boyfriend is a fine young man with a mind of his own! I really think you should give the river valley a try - but Bella Vista and OK are nice as well (it's just better here :-) )

Well - I wouldn't let Bill keep me out of the state but Hillary? that's another topic for another thread! I will give Bill one thing - he is the consummate politician with an amazing power of recall of names MONTHS after meeting someone. Both of my sons are Democrats - one met him at a political function, the other when he was a caddy at the Alotian Club in Little Rock. Several months later they saw him at another golf course and he instantly remembered both their names (which made them almost swoon and me almost ***, but whatever...) I gotta give the man credit for being able to schmooze with the best of them!
Just got back from our trip, of course we are tired and confused, but we loved Bella Vista. Yes, we have decided to look in Russelville as well on our next trip, plus going over the boarder into Mo. Bella Vista was awesome but I think, probably a little out of our price range, especially when you add the home owners fees each month, etc. anyway, we are back, wish we could put our house on the market right now and are ready to re-locate, just have to decide where. Nita

Old 06-18-2007, 06:54 PM

369 posts, read 1,301,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just got back from our trip, of course we are tired and confused, but we loved Bella Vista. Yes, we have decided to look in Russelville as well on our next trip, plus going over the boarder into Mo. Bella Vista was awesome but I think, probably a little out of our price range, especially when you add the home owners fees each month, etc. anyway, we are back, wish we could put our house on the market right now and are ready to re-locate, just have to decide where. Nita
Try Conway. It is "near the crowd without being in it".

Old 06-18-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
Try Conway. It is "near the crowd without being in it".
We were going to do that this past week, but only had so much time so we did Muskogee and Ft Smith instead; I think Conway might have been a better bet.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas