Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:49 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,719 times

Advertisements

Philippines is statistically the #2 source of immigrants to the USA. Only Mexico sends more immigrants to the USA.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:45 AM

212 posts, read 400,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
Philippines is statistically the #2 source of immigrants to the USA. Only Mexico sends more immigrants to the USA.
I wonder what % of those people are to Guam and Saipan

Old 01-10-2011, 08:04 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Filipino women are probably among the nicest and most lovable people in the world, only problem is that they are for the most part incredibly short & plain, with plain features (and don't age well...) ...well, I guess perfection is not of thisworld anyway...

Old 01-10-2011, 08:46 PM

174 posts, read 596,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Filipino women are probably among the nicest and most lovable people in the world, only problem is that they are for the most part incredibly short & plain, with plain features (and don't age well...) ...well, I guess perfection is not of thisworld anyway...
The part about not aging well is very true. I knew a lot of Philipine women growing up in Chicago and once they started to get old, over 40, they just fell apart.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-Ed View Post
The part about not aging well is very true. I knew a lot of Philipine women growing up in Chicago and once they started to get old, over 40, they just fell apart.
A lot of it seems to be the diet. It's tradition to keep stuffing yourself with food...and not all of it is healthy.

I don't think they age similar to a Latin culture. Lots of 'Mexican' beauties when they're young, but not so much when they are old - plenty of exceptions too though with both the PHilippines and Latin American countries. But Filipinas don't exactly age as you'd find more stereotypical in other Asian countries like Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc. who seem to stay thin well into middle age.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:22 PM

657 posts, read 697,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
wow that is surprising I didn't know that.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:21 PM

956 posts, read 1,767,675 times
[quote=Hawkeye48;1537387]I was stationed at Clark Air Base back in the early to mid 80s. I remember that the people in the Philippines were very religious. Probably the most catholic nation in Asia. Also they were very well educated, many of the men and women that worked on base were college graduates.

The local area, Angeles City, was a high crime area that catered to GI's. But once you traveled past the air base you met some of the most honest people you would ever meet in your life.

I worked with a young woman (American GI) who took a bus tour one weekend to the Banaue Rice Terraces, and she lost her wallet somewhere along the way. A Philippine man found her wallet and turned it in. Nothing was missing. Keep in mind how poor the PI was back in the 80s. That wallet had more money in it than the guy who found it would have made in a year. He was very poor and had a wife and several children. He could have really used that money, yet he turned it in anyway.

Thank you for sharing this story. May God bless that Filipino man with good health, support system and some money! And also the rest of the country. But they really need to reign in the number of births- that's the blight of most poor countries-too many kids and not enough education plus awareness(though there 's a high literacy rate in the Phillipines).

I hope he was rewarded for his efforts?

Last edited by Gudra; 04-27-2013 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Great, honest man

Old 04-27-2013, 01:52 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
For a rather impoverished country, the Philippines has a very high literacy rate and a very educated, skilled population. This means that many of its people have to go overseas to work - and you can find them all over the world, in different sectors, such as

Ships - many are sailors, mariners, and work on cruise ships

Hospitality Industry - hotels, especially in Asia and the Middle East

Domestic Workers - Hong Kong, Singapore, Middle East

Health Care - nurses, doctors

I think about 20% of the Philippines economy comes from overseas remittances, and they have government offices that are set up specifically to serve OCWs (overseas contract workers).

nurses, yes. doctors? no. philippine education with regards to the doctors hasnt been considered equivalent to the ones in first-world countries such as USA. when phil. doctors go abroad, they usually end up being paramedics (nurses, techs, etc). if they do practice as doctors abroad, they probably had enough money and time to go through the rigorous requirements such as studying in the new country again or take the tests. there are more filipino therapists and medtechs abroad working in those professions than there are doctors since their education is considered equivalent.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:01 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The few interactions that I have had with Filipino people I found that they are friendly and helpful but slightly pushy and aggressive when they want something.
of course, who doesnt get pushy and aggressive when you're desperate? a lot of them live in impoverished conditions, so when they get a chance at something, they'd get pushy

Old 04-27-2013, 02:21 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,092,582 times
Nice to know there are many saying nice things about Filipinos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia