Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:55 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's not the Indian leaders and legislators who have forced this condition on the people. India is a free country with free and fair elections and like the USA,, it has the leaders and legislators that are put into office by the electorate.

Indian culture, for centuries, has harbored the traditions that girl children are a financial burden because a husband for them is traditionally bought for a high price. A family cannot afford to have very many girls. That is not something new that has been rammed through by the current government.

If you feel so strongly that something must be done to repair this thousand-year-old cultural practice, quit your job and hop on a plane and go over there and convince a billion people to abandon their culture and assume yours. Tell them you come from a civilized country where fetuses are not aborted, because you have already cleaned up your own country--- no doubt they will listen to you. And force poor women to have daughter after daughter, no matter how much financial ruin it casts on her family.

Just because a news reader with big hair reads "Tsk-tsk!" off the teleprompter, doesn't mean that the whole world is "disgusting" and crying out for your protest.
It is clear to me that you condone Indian barbaric culture. It is time for change, and it will come, because lots of Indian women are being educated, in the big cities, and will see to it that these atrocities are stopped.

Not only India forces abortion, it forces parents to kill their daughters, and the ones that are lucky enough to live and grow up, in some parts of India, near the Pakistani border {Karachi}, are often forced into prostitution, at early as 7 years' old.

Just imagine if YOUR mother would have been Indian, living in one of those villages with barbaric thousand of years' customs, and you would have been a girl..............you would not have been born.....

Your thinking process strikes me as being a MISOGYNIST..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 11:19 PM

146 posts, read 238,217 times
I am of Indian descent and I cannot believe that anyone would condone this practice. Really?!!!
So there are people that would condone throwing baby girls in the dumpster and forcing women to take medications to kill them, and burning and torturing women who won't abort female babies and depriving them of food. There are people who would condone throwing a 4 month old baby down the stairs to try and kill her simply because she was female. Really. That is respecting their age old tradition and respecting their culture. OK. Not condoning that is pushing american culture on them. Really.

It is shocking that this can happen in this day and age. Any person who is a human being should stand up against these horrific crimes and speak out against them. It is sickening and disheartening to read the responses on this thread.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:37 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Sorry, but I just don’t believe what you said.

There are plenty of people I know that seem to know India well, traveled there, etc. and they would not agree with you for the most part.

You don't have to believe me, that is fine by me. I'm not saying they are all bad, and i'm sure you have met many nice indians, just as I have. But if you really get involved in families and lives you would see it. I never would have believed it myself. I am quite sure that I have seen more than most american/foreign people, but hey just my .02

Old 12-11-2011, 01:15 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
The world has too many people, to begin with.
Considering what the very poor women in India must do to survive, perhaps it is merciful to not allow them to be born.
As others have said, some of the finest people I have met, here in the states, are of Indian descent. I do think that those who come here must have a bit of money, but even back in India, the very poor are not educated, and are in very desperate situations.
A fellow I worked with is a US citizen and married with two grown children. He has, for much of his adult life, sent money back to India. He pays for an entire school to educate the poor.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:42 AM

14 posts, read 39,880 times
its true that woman pregnant with girl pressured into abortions. but now a days, people are more aware of it and rate of abortions is going down. Hope one day it will come to zero.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:23 AM

105 posts, read 202,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Not only India forces abortion, it forces parents to kill their daughters, and the ones that are lucky enough to live and grow up, in some parts of India, near the Pakistani border {Karachi}, are often forced into prostitution, at early as 7 years' old.
That's correct. Every male in India, including me, has killed at least 3 women in our lives and forced at least 6 women to prostitution.

Quote:
Just imagine if YOUR mother would have been Indian, living in one of those villages with barbaric thousand of years' customs, and you would have been a girl..............you would not have been born.....
Didn't know Indian villagers had Ultrasound machines for "thousands of years". I wonder where are all these new Indian babies coming from when all Indian women have been killed for "thousands of years".

How stupid can one get?

Old 07-02-2012, 04:13 PM

Another way of looking at this is that eventually there will be too few females and they will be treated as something special. I see nothing amiss with people wanting to control their population, especially when there are too many people and too few jobs.

We are sometimes too quick to criticize others when we've never been in their shoes.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:39 PM

606 posts, read 354,583 times
Wow, some of these responses are ridiculous. India has a population of over a billion people that speak hundreds of different languages and dialects, and it has representatives of almost every major religion in the world. It is one of the most diverse nations on earth. And some people want to generalize and stereotype Indian culture?

Yes, this issue exists. It is sad that this happens, and people should be educated as to why it's wrong. But to conclude that this behavior is typical of most Indians' social values is grossly inaccurate and misrepresentative.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:12 PM

188 posts, read 938,405 times
At first glance I thought that the OP was refering to this story.

As India's kids starve, $1.5B worth of grain rots - World news - South and Central Asia - msnbc.com

Old 07-03-2012, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
Wow, some of these responses are ridiculous. India has a population of over a billion people that speak hundreds of different languages and dialects, and it has representatives of almost every major religion in the world. It is one of the most diverse nations on earth. And some people want to generalize and stereotype Indian culture?

Yes, this issue exists. It is sad that this happens, and people should be educated as to why it's wrong. But to conclude that this behavior is typical of most Indians' social values is grossly inaccurate and misrepresentative.
I don't believe that Indians in this country or those in the middle class are the people who do this, but the poor. I saw some documentary on this.

I just don't see it as a huge issue. Sometimes people are in positions and have to make tough decisions. It happens in China, too. Unless those who act so horrified at the idea are willing to support these kids, people should just go about their business and be thankful that they don't have to make such rough choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia