Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:04 PM

18 posts, read 48,630 times

Advertisements

We are seriously thinking of leaving the US behind and India comes up as a first choice. I am both EU and US citizen but we would prefer to stir away from the EU these days. My husband is US citizen. We are both professionals, he is working in the medical field. Not sure where to begin looking. Not sure of the living expenses, the visas (if one family member gets a work visa, do spouses/children qualify for it as well?) etc. I am looking for any and all useful ideas. I am also browsing the forum topics, so please forgive me if it's a repeat question but so far I haven't found any completely relevant topics. The first and most important question really is, what is the proper way of finding a job in India. Are they considering US candidates for open positions? Especially if it's a skilled, professional position?
Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
oh boy, if you wanna go to one of the crappies places to live in the world be my guest.. but please tell me youve been there before making a decision to move there.. ?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:24 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,129 times
We had some friends who were expats in Mumbai and had a very high quality of life. They got inter-company transfers though so its a different story. Why have you narrowed down to India? I think the biggest problem could be that the rich are incredibly rich and good quality homes will be very expensive..but 'local' jobs will pay a 'local' salary.... I would love to live in India for a few years and to be honest I've only been in the USA for a year and I'm counting down the days until we leave - so I can understand your wanting to leave .... I'm not sure I could live there permanently though.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:53 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
We had some friends who were expats in Mumbai and had a very high quality of life. They got inter-company transfers though so its a different story. Why have you narrowed down to India? I think the biggest problem could be that the rich are incredibly rich and good quality homes will be very expensive..but 'local' jobs will pay a 'local' salary.... I would love to live in India for a few years and to be honest I've only been in the USA for a year and I'm counting down the days until we leave - so I can understand your wanting to leave .... I'm not sure I could live there permanently though.

India is a cool place to visit, and I'd recommend anyone who wants to visit a place very different from anywhere they'll ever see to take a trip there. Would I ever recommend someone to live there? Absolutely not, I would shoot myself before living there :P High quality of life or not, you might have a nice place, but you're never far from the trash, smells and just the flat out poverty. Have fun stepping over sleeping babies in the street on your morning runs...

Old 02-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 5 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
It seems like it would be a fun and interesting move!

I heard very mixed opinions about India from different people and also what I read about India.

I believe much more the positive things people say about India and what I read about it, rather than the more negative things.

Even if there is still some negative, I think the positive stuff still upstages the negative and that I would enjoy visiting that country and also living in that country.

Last edited by ; 02-04-2012 at 02:13 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 02:56 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
I imagine most ex-pats there live as the Indian upper class - probably more opulent than the average American or European. Without sounding like a moralist I don't know if I could drive my Mercedes Benz through streets filled with beggars and people who don't even have toilets in their homes. Not saying you'll end up like that, though.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
India's not that bad. Don't exaggerate. I don't remember seeing any more beggars or poverty there than any other third world country. Big cities can be worse, as they are everywhere, but I stayed mostly in Assam, which is the poorest part of the country (less than half the percapita GDP of India as a whole), and life there seemed pretty normal and civilized to me. No bad smells, nobody lying in the streets, no beggars, no piles of trash. Outside the cities, the countryside was fresh and green and relaxing.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-04-2012 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 09:53 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
India's not that bad. Don't exaggerate. I don't remember seeing any more beggars or poverty there than any other third world country. Big cities can be worse, as they are everywhere, but I stayed mostly in Assam, which is the poorest part of the country, and life there seemed pretty normal and civilized to me. No bad smells, nobody lying in the streets, no beggars, no piles of trash.
jtur88 is right, the big cities are worse everywhere in the world. I have several friends who have visited a lot more of India than I have and I am looking forward to seeing much more. On our last trip when we went to Agra we drove to a town called Mandawa to see the haveli houses and we didn't see a single beggar or people living on the street in the 3 days we were there, lots of curious children who wanted to practice their 'hellos' and then run away giggling but no beggars.

Chennai, Varnasi and Cochin are high on my list of places to see...and a friend just returned from Tamil Nadu and his pictures were amazing.

where did you visit Trimac20 and burgler09 that gave you such negative opinions ?

Old 02-04-2012, 04:18 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
I haven't been but would love to visit. Mum visited almost 30 years ago but things would have changed since then. I've never been to a truly third world country, I don't think Thailand counts, so India just seems to have a lot of poverty from stats, what you see on tv etc.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:22 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,258 times
Job visas are easy to get. India embassy visa website of US will have information and fees for visas. For Jobs, a good way to start is naukri.com. naukri is hindi for job. monster india will give you an idea also. Many big cities have an established american or european community of expats. Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Delhi and suburbs like gurgaon, Calcutta, Goa have lot of americans, aussies, europeans living and working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia