Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:46 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,337 times

Advertisements

if i were to visit south korea, which restaurants would you recommend? which foods would you like me to try, apart from the ones that im familiar with (kimchi, bulgogi, galbi, bibimbap, kimbap, jigae, samgeopsal)? im very interested in trying out the sweets/desserts/breads after having watched Bread, Love and Dreams as well as the most ethnic/homemade stuff. i loved that show by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 10:33 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times
Try all the foods. Also try any little mom and pop restaurant you can find. There are plenty. You can get dinner pretty cheap there. My favorite dish is Ox Tail soup, but I also like Haemultong (sp?) great with straight Soju.

This may be unpopular, but try the fast food places too. Popeye's, McDonald's and Bk have a large presence or had. They have very different menu then you are used to. Also Lotte Burger is great.

Do visit Korean bars, drink a Hite. Also, it is ok if you visit Itaewon, as it is a important area of Seoul, but get out and check out smaller places. Lotte World is fun, and my old school I taught at is near. There are a lot of great shopping areas, a nice shopping area is Myeong-dong and a interesting shopping area is Namdaemun. The Yongsan Electronics Market and I think its building 63 that has varied and awesome shopping.

Make sure to adhere to customs and understand their way is better then your way in their country. Visit the subrubs of Seoul, and check out the beaches in the southern part of the country and eat, eat, eat. I would suggest drink bottled water, not that their water is bad, but your system is not used to how they treat their water. I eventually got used to it.

Last edited by Momotaro; 03-16-2013 at 10:42 AM..

Old 03-16-2013, 03:01 PM

73 posts, read 151,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
if i were to visit south korea, which restaurants would you recommend? which foods would you like me to try, apart from the ones that im familiar with (kimchi, bulgogi, galbi, bibimbap, kimbap, jigae, samgeopsal)? im very interested in trying out the sweets/desserts/breads after having watched Bread, Love and Dreams as well as the most ethnic/homemade stuff. i loved that show by the way.
I haven't been there in quite some time but I'm looking forward to the baked goods when I go back this summer... They have a plethora of bakeries in corner of every street with tons of baked goods and sweets for affordable prices. I can't wait to be indulging my favorite soboro bread once again

Old 03-16-2013, 07:30 PM

i wish more south koreans would reply

Old 03-16-2013, 07:43 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
I lived and worked in Seoul for 10 month and left about 15 months ago. Koreans take food seriously and are fastidious in their preparations....I found most everything pretty good but I like a little spice in my food. Definitely eat Korean Bar B Q and try soups in addition to the foods you mentioned. Also try some of the seafoods. I don't know what most of it was called.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:45 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times
Quote:

Why? We have both been there. I lived there a little over 2 years of my adult life. More time then you will ever spend there I would guess. You are on a forum, mostly visited by westerners. Some appreciation for folks who tried to help you. If you want South Korean folks to reply, I suggest checking out a forum based solely on S. Korea. Perhaps even just google, "what to do in South Korea".

Old 03-16-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Why? We have both been there. I lived there a little over 2 years of my adult life. More time then you will ever spend there I would guess. You are on a forum, mostly visited by westerners. Some appreciation for folks who tried to help you. If you want South Korean folks to reply, I suggest checking out a forum based solely on S. Korea. Perhaps even just google, "what to do in South Korea".
i understand and appreciate your reply. i didnt mean to be ungrateful, but at the same time i just wish south koreans would visit forums like this as well. nothing like having it come from the mouth of the babes as some would say. why wouldnt you want someone from their native country that you're interested in to answer your questions? however, their limited english fluency might keep them from joining in english-based forums.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:13 PM

73 posts, read 151,096 times
Quote:
i was born in Seoul and lived there till i was 10. nonetheless, soboro bread is the bomb lol. also do try all the BBQs there's tons of restaurants where they'll have a grill at each table, they bring u raw, marinated meat of whatever kind, and you grill and serve. the best and tastiest thing ive ever had was duck, though i forget exactly where.

and tons of mini marts and convenience stores with a lotta snacks that are 100000 times tastier than the north american ones. my personal fav is their cheetos: they only have the crunchy version (not the puff) and either BBQ flavor or spicy (tastes like doritos sweet chili heat). i go berserk when i eat them.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
The authentic Korean BBQ (where you grill over coals at the table) is the best. When I have visited there and been taken out for lunch by Korean colleagues, they took me to places that had Korean style lunch boxes, "juk" (rice porridge), and these places that served fried foods (fried chicken). All were delicious.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:30 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Emerging touristic destination. Don’t ever confine yourself only to Seoul. There is Busan at the other side of the republic. Make journeys at every euphoric turn. Unique people, even if they might appear to be twins with some of their own nearby lands of curiosity (Examples: Japan, Taiwan). Learn or questions before advancing forward.

https://www.gpsmycity.com/img/gd/1143.jpg

https://travelsinbusankorea.wordpress.com/

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...d03b6d2bc.webp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia