Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 PM

580 posts, read 1,181,521 times

Advertisements

I was interested in learning more about Seoul South Korea for those who have been. Please, tell me about the following.

Food - Varied? Homogenous? Tasty? How were the prices?
Nightlife - High Quality? When are closing times?
Culture - Are they friendly to Americans?
Transportation - How much ground does the subway cover? When does it close? How many stations? How clean is it?
Airport - How clean and advanced is it?
Safety - How safe is Seoul for Americans?
Architecture - Interesting?
Best time to visit - Weather included?
Neighborhoods - Which are the most unique? Which are must see? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times

>> usually Korean food and other Asian foods. Lots of pizza restaurants in Seoul for some reason. Tasty and experisive.

>> Seoul is a late closing city and folks are out until 1-2AM on weeknights. Cannot comment on quality though.

>> Most do not speak English. Korean culture is pushy and aggressive, hard to interpret as friendly or not.

Transportation - How much ground does the subway cover? When does it close? How many stations? How clean is it?

>> I usually took a taxi around. Lots of traffic congestion in Seoul, so be prepared!

>> Incheon is excellent and safe.

>> Safer than most cities in the US. I have seen single females walking around alone at 2 AM in Seoul. Don't worry about safety, it is safe.

>> Interesting.

> October, during the fall. Too cold in the winter months.

>> Gangnam (south of the Han River)

Old 03-21-2013, 03:35 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Food - Varied? Homogenous? Tasty? How were the prices? - Korean Mostly, Bit of Japanese, Chinese, and American Type Chains, a few Steak Houses, coffee shops and sweet bread shops everywhere, on the whole I dont like the way Korean's make Coffee, its too weak.

Nightlife - High Quality? -Yep
When are closing times? - Late

Culture - Are they friendly to Americans? - Dont know im not american, the Koreans I know are all very friendly.

Transportation - How much ground does the subway cover? - Pretty much the whole city, their are connecting neighbourhood buses from the train stations, if you can work out the schedules
When does it close? - 12.30 to 1 am
How many stations? Ill let you count them, see the map below.
How clean is it? Very

Airport - How clean and advanced is it? - Inceheon is Very clean and very advanced, often rated one of the worlds best, ive never stopped at Gimpo.

Safety - How safe is Seoul for Americans? - Don't know, ive never felt unsafe,

Architecture - Interesting? - Not as good as other parts of asia in my opinion

Best time to visit - Weather included? - Spring or Autum, Freezing cold winters, and Hot and Humid Summers

Neighborhoods - Which are the most unique? Myeon- Dong, Jongno Gu, Hong Dea
Which are must see? - See above
Why? Shopping, History and Partying

Last edited by danielsa1775; 03-21-2013 at 03:56 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 05:20 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Food - Varied? Homogenous? Tasty? How were the prices? - Korean Mostly, Bit of Japanese, Chinese, and American Type Chains, a few Steak Houses, coffee shops and sweet bread shops everywhere, on the whole I dont like the way Korean's make Coffee, its too weak.

Nightlife - High Quality? -Yep
When are closing times? - Late

Culture - Are they friendly to Americans? - Dont know im not american, the Koreans I know are all very friendly.

Transportation - How much ground does the subway cover? - Pretty much the whole city, their are connecting neighbourhood buses from the train stations, if you can work out the schedules
When does it close? - 12.30 to 1 am
How many stations? Ill let you count them, see the map below.
How clean is it? Very

Airport - How clean and advanced is it? - Inceheon is Very clean and very advanced, often rated one of the worlds best, ive never stopped at Gimpo.

Safety - How safe is Seoul for Americans? - Don't know, ive never felt unsafe,

Architecture - Interesting? - Not as good as other parts of asia in my opinion

Best time to visit - Weather included? - Spring or Autum, Freezing cold winters, and Hot and Humid Summers

Neighborhoods - Which are the most unique? Myeon- Dong, Jongno Gu, Hong Dea
Which are must see? - See above
Why? Shopping, History and Partying
With regards to your opinion on architecture, are you talking about the traditional designs or the modern buildings?

Old 03-21-2013, 05:48 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,393 times
Quite varied. Just like what the others said

Depends on what you're looking for. If you're into clubbing, hittin the bars or cinemas, karaoke, etc. then I bet it's very decent.

Depends on your ethnical background / skin color.

Transportation - How much ground does the subway cover? When does it close? How many stations?
Compared to other subway systems in the world, it's absolutely unmatched

How clean is it?
Quite clean, but not as clean as Japan b/c some places are more rough on the edges

For Incheon Int. Airport, 10 out of 10 for cleanliness. Probably one of the most advanced.

Refer to what others said

Depends on the area, but I find the modern architecture mostly bland and somewhat soulless

IMO, May to June

Myeongdong, Gangnam, Gyeongbok Palace & Gwanghwa Gate, etc.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 AM

73 posts, read 151,104 times
Seoul is very safe. most Koreans DO speak English. English education is highly emphasized and pervasive, and especially the basic touristy conversations will be carried on with no problem, even with kids in elementary school. The population itself is very homogenous though, and you'll stick out like a sore thumb if you're not Korean... but the Korean ladies will love you LOL!

Old 03-21-2013, 10:09 AM

My limited experience is that most Koreans do not speak English well. But, I have only been to Seoul 5-6 times. Each time, we needed a English and Korean speaking person to accompany us around to meetings (I was usually there for business travel).

Seoul is very, very safe, never felt like I was in any type of danger, even late at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideySwag View Post
Seoul is very safe. most Koreans DO speak English. English education is highly emphasized and pervasive, and especially the basic touristy conversations will be carried on with no problem, even with kids in elementary school. The population itself is very homogenous though, and you'll stick out like a sore thumb if you're not Korean... but the Korean ladies will love you LOL!

Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 AM

One thing to remember in Seoul is that there is a lot of traffic congestion in the city. Take that into account when trying to get places.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 PM

580 posts, read 1,181,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Quite varied. Just like what the others said

Depends on what you're looking for. If you're into clubbing, hittin the bars or cinemas, karaoke, etc. then I bet it's very decent.

Depends on your ethnical background / skin color.

Transportation - How much ground does the subway cover? When does it close? How many stations?
Compared to other subway systems in the world, it's absolutely unmatched

How clean is it?
Quite clean, but not as clean as Japan b/c some places are more rough on the edges

For Incheon Int. Airport, 10 out of 10 for cleanliness. Probably one of the most advanced.

Refer to what others said

Depends on the area, but I find the modern architecture mostly bland and somewhat soulless

IMO, May to June

Myeongdong, Gangnam, Gyeongbok Palace & Gwanghwa Gate, etc.
I'm as white as they come lol, Irish heritage. Will this be a problem For me in Seoul?

Old 03-21-2013, 09:02 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I'm as white as they come lol, Irish heritage. Will this be a problem For me in Seoul?

Simply put. Nope!

Enjoy your time and do not worry. It is a fun city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia