Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,999,917 times

Advertisements

Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,913 times
No. I'm quite sure everyone of us is going to assume she's east Asian before she is Latina.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:56 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,117,524 times
According to CNN News:

CNN admits Latino isn't a Race - YouTube

According to Merriam Webster dictionary:

Definition of HISPANIC
1: of or relating to the people, speech, or culture of Spain or of Spain and (Portugal?)

2: of, relating to, or being a person of Latin American descent living in the United States; especially: one of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin
Hispanic - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

- So if she practice the culture or the Speech or Language of Spain then she is Hispanic
& if she was born to any of those Latin American country and speak spanish or portuguese or any language derived in Latin then she is Latino.but original Latin are from Europe. Because Latino or Hispanic is not a race. Only in America misused both Latino/Hispanic definition. According to Hispanic/Latino people.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
According to CNN News:

CNN admits Latino isn't a Race - YouTube

According to Merriam Webster dictionary:

Definition of HISPANIC
1: of or relating to the people, speech, or culture of Spain or of Spain and (Portugal?)

2: of, relating to, or being a person of Latin American descent living in the United States; especially: one of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin
Hispanic - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

- So if she practice the culture or the Speech or Language of Spain then she is Hispanic
& if she was born to any of those Latin American country and speak spanish or portuguese or any language derived in Latin then she is Latino.but original Latin are from Europe. Because Latino or Hispanic is not a race. Only in America misused both Latino/Hispanic definition. According to Hispanic/Latino people.
thats great but we are talking about what americans see in a typical basis..not what you think should be regarded as latino

Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 AM

23,546 posts, read 24,049,201 times
She looks Asian, possibly Korean or Japanese.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:06 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,117,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
thats great but we are talking about what americans see in a typical basis..not what you think should be regarded as latino
if I'll base it in look then she looks like East Asian. Japanese, Korean, Chinese or Mongolia those areas or even passed as vietnamese which they have the majority population based in looks.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:13 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,093,411 times
She cannot even pass as Filipino Lol ... She is a a Chinese or Viet... If you say she is a Filipina , then she is of Chinese ancestry because a typical Filipina DOESN'T look like her at all ! I assume you have a fascination for Chinese beauties

Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
She cannot even pass as Filipino Lol ... She is a a Chinese or Viet... If you say she is a Filipina , then she is of Chinese ancestry because a typical Filipina DOESN'T look like her at all ! I assume you have a fascination for Chinese beauties
neither of the above....she is actually from my hometown in western visayas
of my ethnic group she is karay-a

The Karay-a number about 363,000. They were first believed to be the descendants of immigrants from Borneo, through the epic-myth of the "Ten Bornean Datus". Recent findings, however, revealed that the ancestors of the Karay-a are the Austronesian-speaking immigrants who came from South China during the Iron Age.

it seems that many western visayans have a better grip on what they are then tagalogs who would rather hold on to a hispanic identity then a seasian one

Old 04-03-2013, 11:42 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,093,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
neither of the above....she is actually from my hometown in western visayas
of my ethnic group she is karay-a

The Karay-a number about 363,000. They were first believed to be the descendants of immigrants from Borneo, through the epic-myth of the "Ten Bornean Datus". Recent findings, however, revealed that the ancestors of the Karay-a are the Austronesian-speaking immigrants who came from South China during the Iron Age.

it seems that many western visayans have a better grip on what they are then tagalogs who would rather hold on to a hispanic identity then a seasian one
I am from Western Visayas too.. I hold on to my hispanic identity yes because after having lived in Europe for 10 years and frequenting Spain in those 10 years, I discovered so many practices that we Filipinos have were originally contributed by Spain and Mexico... Not to mention the many words Ilonggos got from the Spanish.. That's why I realized that there are really more Spanish words in Ilonggo and Tagalog is more Malay.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I am from Western Visayas too.. I hold on to my hispanic identity yes because after having lived in Europe for 10 years and frequenting Spain in those 10 years, I discovered so many practices that we Filipinos have were originally contributed by Spain and Mexico... Not to mention the many words Ilonggos got from the Spanish.. That's why I realized that there are really more Spanish words in Ilonggo and Tagalog is more Malay.
its about the same

lol culturally western visayan is more malay then tagalog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia