Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 05:47 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyday10 View Post
Let me say, we in USA have our sympathies with India. We want to hear that India is rising quickly and it will compete china (a new US dream). In reply to our desire for a strong Chinese competitor, US media always inflates India's economic success and I rarely see any discussion based on facts on our TV channels.

As a matter of fact, standard of governance in China is far better than India (although they don't have democracy and freed of expression). Indians can only dream of a nicely performing government in presence of a system that was imposed by Great Britain approximately 175 years ago (just as we did in Iraq and Libya recently). The only good thing in India (only from western point of view) is the world's largest but limping democracy. In presence of corrupt system and proud killers like (cheif minister Moodi) chances are not equal for every one in India.

You can't even imagine the miserable life of thousands living in slum areas (of India) who have no toilets, drinking water etc. Indians are trying to improve but even in presence of large outsourcing companies and a few business groups it is very difficult for a poor dallat (lower cast) to struggle and rise.

On the other hand, in China (they don't have lower casts), they have no democracy but life in the slum (very few left now) areas is not that bad as they have toilets, something to eat and government is trying to educate and provide job every one. They have controlled their population growth rate successfully. Working conditions in factories and offices are "poor" from american standards but at least they have a job and a home.

I know majority in my part of the world does not want to hear this reality. So much so that some forum administrators remove even those comments and posts that discuss figures proving china is better than India. However, my advice is we must struggle to keep america ahead of every nation instead of spending money on others and then hoping that they will rise just to save our *.

Completely one sided POV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 10:12 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,497 times
I would say that China's government helps the Chinese economy grow more than the Indian government does. China rigs the system as much as it can to encourage growth and efficiently lays down the infrastructure required to support the economy; while on the other hand it seems Indian politicians and bureaucrats are more prone to stifle growth rather than encourage it. The heart of India's problems really lie in corruption(corruption in India tends to stifle business rather than expedite it like in China) and bureaucratic paralysis. India also doesn't have the best track record when it comes to educating the masses. Despite issues with bureaucrats, I still believe the democratic system has more advantages as results are more based on a free and expressive society.

As for whether or not the quality of life has improved in India, it has done so greatly imo. There was almost something of a general sense of misery back in the 80s, but today people are upbeat, hopeful, have access to more opportunities to be upwardly mobile, and have more of a sense that they are in control of their destiny.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:41 AM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyday10 View Post
On the other hand, in China (they don't have lower casts), they have no democracy but life in the slum (very few left now) areas is not that bad as they have toilets, something to eat and government is trying to educate and provide job every one. They have controlled their population growth rate successfully. Working conditions in factories and offices are "poor" from american standards but at least they have a job and a home.
The pollution in China is still very bad. One cannot drink tap water only bottled water whether one is poor or well-off. Not everyone has indoor plumbing and most people still use "Eastern-style" toilets (meaning no toilet seats/bowls).

Although the Chinese Government has managed to control their population growth rate this will cause some unforeseen problems in the future. There will be a shortage of men as culturally there has been a preference for boys as sons take care of their parents in old age whereas daughters are married-off. Another problem is that smaller younger generation now has the burden of caring for 2 sets of parents without the help of siblings.

I agree that the conditions in the factories and offices are "poor" compared to American standards and I believe many factory workers work a 6 day work week.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:21 AM

844 posts, read 1,656,968 times
Some Americans believe India and the U.S have very similar governments and political systems, simply because India also advocates democracy.

And this is obviously not true.

Most countries in the world claim to value democracy but their governments and political systems vary wildly. It's good to recognize the value of democracy, but figuring out how to deliver democracy is the challenge. Ask you college professors how the U.S fails to deliver democracy in so many ways. Other countries under the banner of democracy are even far worse than the U.S.

By the way, Singapore isn't democratic at all. The freedom of Speech is Singapore is as limited as communist China. But people constantly overlook this fact because they believe Singapore as a developed country and U.S ally have probably done a great job in human rights and democracy just like coutries like Japan.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The pollution in China is still very bad. One cannot drink tap water only bottled water whether one is poor or well-off. Not everyone has indoor plumbing and most people still use "Eastern-style" toilets (meaning no toilet seats/bowls).

Although the Chinese Government has managed to control their population growth rate this will cause some unforeseen problems in the future. There will be a shortage of men as culturally there has been a preference for boys as sons take care of their parents in old age whereas daughters are married-off. Another problem is that smaller younger generation now has the burden of caring for 2 sets of parents without the help of siblings.

I agree that the conditions in the factories and offices are "poor" compared to American standards and I believe many factory workers work a 6 day work week.
Yes, the pollution is bad. But I don't know many individuals in China who live in a place where no toilet is installed. Most people use toilets in China.

I agree with you on everything else.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:30 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Yes, the pollution is bad. But I don't know many individuals in China who live in a place where no toilet is installed. Most people use toilets in China.

I agree with you on everything else.

I think you need to look closer. any village will have squat style bathrooms where a whole village shares and many folks in the cities use squat bathrooms. its so common in china.

why do i know so? I used them both, in a village and in a city in china. and yes, it sucks.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
I think you need to look closer. any village will have squat style bathrooms where a whole village shares and many folks in the cities use squat bathrooms. its so common in china.

why do i know so? I used them both, in a village and in a city in china. and yes, it sucks.
At least in Shanghai, almost all bathrooms use toilets. Some public bathrooms are dirty though.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:58 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Tap water is not designed for drinking in China, which has nothing to do with pollution.
Chinese always boil water.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:16 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,209 times
Not sure if this is off-topic, but would most people be eagar to learn Chinese(Mandarin) than Japanese?

I'd really like to know.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:00 PM

588 posts, read 796,072 times
In regard to working conditions in China, there is a wide range of conditions. One can find ample evidence to make the argument that working conditions for factory workers is poor or find evidence to argue that the conditions are fine. Most of my experience comes from working conditions in Shanghai and in China's southern provinces of Guangdong and Guangxi. My service professional friends in Shanghai seem to enjoy good working conditions with salaries that allow for them to live a middle class life. Approximately 1/2 of them are encouraged by their employers to use all of their vacation time.

My experiences with southern China friends, include mostly people who live a more difficult life. They work in office support positions or in factories. They all have very modest salaries and most complain about their work environments and supervisors. The factory workers, who finished high school, work much longer hours, often with only two days off per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia