Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:24 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times

Advertisements

I've heard differing things about Turkish people - I suppose it depends a lot on one's individual experiences, where they went etc...it seems in touristy areas Turks tend to sort of find tourists annoying, yet I've also heard Turks are among the most hospitable people on the planet. My experience with Turks is limited to the local kebab shop, and a lot of them seem sort of gruff and not that friendly, while a few were friendly. What was your experiencing with Turks in Turkey?

Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Every Turk is your friend when you buy something from their shop.
Just don't follow a Turk into a bar, chances are you end up in a dodgy stripclub where they present you a huge bill after you finished your drink.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:10 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,720 times
Paul Theroux - that grouchy travel writer, made an interesting observation that matched an observation I made in 1990. The Turkish men on his long-distance bus filled the air with cigarette smoke with no thought for the non-smokers. But they were typically friendly in that they were constantly offering him cigarettes.

I actually thought that people were very friendly when I was there. In the tourist areas, the friendliness had an ulterior motive, but it was there in non-tourist areas as well (with no strings attached). I remember eating brunch in a tavern in Ankara, and a couple of Turkish men at the next table bought my wife and I two very large beers, and just waved at us when we thanked them. The fact that it was 11 AM made this somewhat of a mixed blessing, but the gesture was wonderful.

Great place to visit!

Old 07-31-2013, 09:20 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,927 times
the ones over here in US at kebab shops also seem kind of gruff or not too friendly

I get treated much better by Afghan people, they seem more friendly and easy going

Old 08-03-2013, 08:15 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,364,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Paul Theroux - that grouchy travel writer..
Wow, thank you for this. After some research, I think I'll be reading several of his books.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 16,589 times
Most of them are harsh towards Asians and don't miss any chance to racially abuse Asians in their own language, quoting their white skin. This is my personal observation. This does not mean that all Turkish peeps are bad...

Old 08-21-2013, 10:28 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
I find Turkish people extremely welcoming and hospitable. This varies based on location, but from my experience in Istanbul people were always willing to help me out as a newcomer just learning the ropes in a new city/country. Ankara was more businesslike from my visits, but its tough to say how it would be to live there as I only lived in Istanbul. I also found the smaller towns and villages very welcoming, despite the language barrier.

Honestly the best way to break the ice with a Turkish person is to show an interest in their culture (Like anyone else I guess) but mostly their food. There is no easier way to win them over than to talk food and try everything they suggest to you. Since the food is fantastic, this shouldnt be difficult for anyone at all.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:34 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,563,388 times

Turkey Japan  friendship  親日国トルコとの絆 - YouTube

Old 09-06-2013, 05:36 AM

8 posts, read 24,307 times
Most of them are extremely friendly, and speak good English, especially in the parts of the country where tourism is high.

And as for what the guys look for in a girl... from what I've seen: positive, laid back and outgoing would be three characteristics that would suit them nicely.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:32 PM

183 posts, read 295,352 times
well hospitality is a rather new custom so I would say above average my interactions with my countryman have always been very civil(on some occasions not as much but when you are young and drunk being the fan of a wrong soccer team at the wrong time well human nature takes its course) in general for a visitor I would say depends on the place if you are looked as the food then it means you have a very vivid idea for being a tourist otherwise its ooh they are different I wonder how similar yet different are we
and as far as food goes its a mix as far as modern Turkish food goes that is(certain regions are famous for certain dishes etc) however recently people have started checking the place I work(librarian by the way) for the history of said craft as well as chemistry so it s what I would call meh nothing incredible unless your association with a dish makes it special
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia