Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Let's go one step backwards from the advent of the Muslims. The Muslim faith has been around since 700AD, and before that? Buddhism! I've been to Thailand, the most Buddhist country on Earth, and I see a strong Buddhist flavoring to the Filipino's I've met!

They've even found Buddhist artifacts across the Pacific in Latin America!

That's also what I see in our Native American Indians in the U.S., when they crossed over here from Asia, they brought it with them?
Buddhism is almost dead in the Philippines. It's a minority. There might be some Chinese Temples in the country but they're very few. Most Chinese people are Catholics... They send their children to Catholic schools and they are quite active in church. Buddhists are like 1 million.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 11-06-2013 at 08:11 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 10:23 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,114,046 times
Another Similarities 'Zarzuela or Zarsuela' which is also similar from other Latin Americans including Mexico

Zarzuela

Philippine Zarsuela

Zarsuela or Zarzuela is a stage play with operatic music and acting, Moro-Moro is another one which is different to
Zarsuela or Zarzuela sometimes they call it 'Balagtasan' which doesn't have musical play.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Both has indigenous cultures of their own which makes them different to each other including the other Latin American colonies. The similarities is the culture that brought by the Galleon Trading and Spanish colonization.
Hmmm make sense trade does influence culture, especially both are important trading point at that time as well, for me Mexico is still as Aztec as they are used to be even though the Spanish eradicate the trace by 90% and breed with them, they are basically still the same people with all the creepy stuff, same goes for Philippines.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:43 AM

This is the Moro-Moro, Another Filipino Traditional Stage Play
for Arts & Literature. It is adaptation of Europe 'Comedia de Capa y Espada'
brought to the Philippines during 16th or 17th century. Moro Moro is a Folk Drama.

- Example: Ibong Adarna and Florante at Laura
(Part of Subject in Secondary Levels)

Last edited by pinai; 11-07-2013 at 01:23 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 02:34 AM

Polka dance reach the Philippines due to the Galleon Trading time.
Polka is one of the dance introduced in Northern Mexico and Texas by Immigrants.
According to Wikipedia.
Polka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our Polka is mellow not too fast except Maliket-A-Polka (Means Happy Polka)

Last edited by pinai; 11-07-2013 at 02:51 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 02:34 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,322,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Interesting that Philippines seem to have a lot of similarities with Latin America though Philippines is in Asia and seems like the country has more things in common with Latin America than Spain.
I couldn't agree more!

Old 11-07-2013, 02:37 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,322,706 times
Quote:
For one who is not Filipino, who are you to say that ? You do not know anything about our customs and traditions...it is only us who can tell which culture we resemble. Are you aware of our cultural and religious festivities ? Those festivities are also practised in Latin America.
Do you know all of our foods, deserts and goodies ? While some native delicacies might be a little similar to Asian countries but most food, deserts and goodies were contributed by Spain.
I noticed that you are always insisting that Philippine culture is very Asian just because we are in Asia, we eat rice and we look Asian. I wonder if America never came and took over and Philippines still speak Spanish, what would other Asians also think ?
We acknowledge our Indonesian and Malaysian siblings since they also became a part of our culture but our culture was really shaped when we were colonised.
We relate more with Latin America because of the silimar traditions that we have. We are in Asia yes, but our culture is more similar to Latin America and it is only us Filipinos and Latin Americans who can see the similarities we have because it is our own culture.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=scZ7PPXTKPY
I agree with you! Speak the truth. Phillipines can still become Spanish speaking. It was only 2 decades ago that Spanish was removed as an official language by the USA. Spanish language needs to be restored.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:46 AM

We have a game named 'Juego de Anillo' and I don't know if it has similar game.

Quote:
A game notably Spanish in influence. The name literally translates to "game of rings." It involves riding a horse while holding a dagger and "catching" rings hanging from a tree or some other structure using the dagger. But now, people usually play this game nowadays by riding a bicycle while holding a dagger.And the competitors need to continue their speed in riding their bicycle

Old 11-07-2013, 01:21 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
Quote:
We have a game named 'Juego de Anillo' and I don't know if it has similar game.
Yes! in Latin AMerican they are called carreras de cinta a caballo.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:41 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
I believe with the similarities and that Philippines is more similar to Mexico than Asian neighbours. Well, Philippines was governed by Mexico for 250 years so there were a lot of cultural exchanges for sure. I have never been to Mexico, but everytime I watch a Mexican novela, I can see loads and loads of similarities. I think interracial marriages between Mexicans and Filipinos won't have so many clashes because they have many things in common.
You and I have spoken about this before. In Southern California, Mexicans and Filipinos intermingle and often intermarry rather freely. Of all ethnic combinations, these two seem to be the most comfortable with one another. I can think of two people right off the top of my head that I personally know who are half Filipino half Mexican and with effort could probably remember more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia