Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 12:16 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Not looking for a complete bubble at all, but something that's not as rough and tumble as Mumbai. I've heard great things about South India in general, but a lot of that is from South Indians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 12:31 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Probably Bangalore. It's the centre for IT, it has a comparatively mild climate, is one of India's wealthiest cities, is not AS huge and chaotic as the 'big 3' (but remember it's still India).

Old 11-27-2013, 06:23 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
I was just reading about how Chandigarh is something like the first planned city in India, with a very organized layout and nice modern architecture. It's wealthier than a lot of medium to bigger cities in India and it's not so far from the Himalayas and won't be scorchingly hot year round either.

Also, Kochi looks pretty nice, although it's quite southerly and basically the antithesis of Chandigarh in terms of weather.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:48 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,655,188 times
None most Indian cities are craps, if you are dreaming sleeping with indian chicks every night you should get rid of the idea, nightlife sucks, girls mostly believe in arranged marriage, blahblahblah, ohh and the nightlife sucks badly... you are very unlikely to hook up with any girls there, and most are not attractive.

Well if you insist, i think Goa or Kochi is very nice places compared to cities like Bangalore, Mumbai or Delhi... that is if you are looking at quality of life and peace, you said it South India and yes its a lot less crowded and chaotic. You know where the money goes if you want jobs.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:11 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Oh, also please mention whether or not you've actually been to the city or cities you're describing.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:22 AM

My mum actually went to Bangalore over 30 years ago and said it was nice, very clean (for Indian standards) and green. In fact it has the nick-name 'garden city.' It's more modern but more crowded now, but one of India's wealthiest and most progressive cities.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Not looking for a complete bubble at all, but something that's not as rough and tumble as Mumbai. I've heard great things about South India in general, but a lot of that is from South Indians.
I've only been to Mumbai, but I quite liked it. The taxi drivers were quite fair with me. I was expecting to be harrassed, overpriced, and followed around...but none of that happened.

However, I was staying in a hostel, and heard that was quite common throughout the rest of India. It wasnt happening to me at all in Mumbai.

There is also a little nightlife, not very good, but it's there. Which is good, as apparently it's nearly non-existant everywhere else.

For other places though, I've generally heard Bangalore, which I have not been to, and Goa, which is mostly a touristic destination, and not one that I'd think of for working expats.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:44 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
It's extremely over-rated, but Goa is probably your best bet. At least there you'll get to party and sleep with other tourists

Last edited by TylerJAX; 12-01-2013 at 02:52 AM..

Old 12-01-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've only been to Mumbai, but I quite liked it. The taxi drivers were quite fair with me. I was expecting to be harrassed, overpriced, and followed around...but none of that happened.

However, I was staying in a hostel, and heard that was quite common throughout the rest of India. It wasnt happening to me at all in Mumbai.

There is also a little nightlife, not very good, but it's there. Which is good, as apparently it's nearly non-existant everywhere else.

For other places though, I've generally heard Bangalore, which I have not been to, and Goa, which is mostly a touristic destination, and not one that I'd think of for working expats.
I'd actually be interested in checking out the nightlife there. Some of that Indian dance music has a cool beat lol.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,296 times
kerla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia