Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 05:59 AM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times

Advertisements

A French satellite has now spotted some potential debris:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/24/wo...-370.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 10:58 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times
Missing MH370: Aussie PM sees 'increasing hope' of solving mystery after unidentified objects spotted

Quote:
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott.

SYDNEY: Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott voiced increasing hope of discovering the fate of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 and the 239 people on board after unidentified debris was sighted in the search zone.

"It's still too early to be definite, but obviously we have now had a number of very credible leads and there is increasing hope - no more than hope, no more than hope - that we might be on the road to discovering what did happen to this ill-fated aircraft," Abbott said on Sunday.

The prime minister spoke after several unidentified objects were seen in the search zone for the Boeing 777, about 2,500km (1,500 miles) off Perth.

Asked for details, Abbott referred to "a number of small objects fairly close together within the Australian search zone, including, as I understand it, a wooden pallet."

The comments came hours after the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) announced that further attempts would be made on Sunday to establish whether the objects sighted are related to MH370.

The prime minister did not specifically mention a Chinese satellite image dated March 18 and released on Saturday, which showed a large piece of floating debris close to where previous satellite images showed two pieces of possible wreckage in the remote ocean.

Abbott's confidence was also supported, he said, by the growing resources being thrown at the hunt.

Two Chinese aircraft and two Japanese Orions were on Sunday due to join the six aircraft already involved in the huge operation, the prime minister said.

"Obviously the more aircraft we have, the more ships we have, the more confident we are of recovering whatever material is down there," he said.

"And obviously before we can be too specific about what it might be, we do actually need to recover some of this material."

Abbott, speaking as he ended a visit to neighbouring Papua New Guinea, praised the international search effort.

"I want to say that this is a really big international effort and it does show that many countries are capable of pulling together in a time of trouble.

"It is a very important humanitarian exercise. We owe it to the almost 240 people on board the plane, we owe it to their grieving families, we owe it to the governments of the countries concerned, to do everything we can to discover as much as we can about the fate of MH370."

MH370 dropped off civilian radar on March 8 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, and two weeks later Malaysian investigators still believe it was deliberately diverted by someone on board. - AFP

Old 03-23-2014, 10:43 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
This women claim that she saw something before but apperently wasn't taken very seriously and she is afraid getting bailed for false reporting:
Hey, Goshio22. That was a cool map you posted earlier, of the currents flushing the plane down into the southern ocean, but I checked current maps, and it turns out, they don't run north to south in that region. The currents around western Australia run south to north.

Oh well. It was a great theory while it lasted. That mysterious plane sighting remains unexplained, though.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:54 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hey, Goshio22. That was a cool map you posted earlier, of the currents flushing the plane down into the southern ocean, but I checked current maps, and it turns out, they don't run north to south in that region. The currents around western Australia run south to north.

Oh well. It was a great theory while it lasted. That mysterious plane sighting remains unexplained, though.
Well it's worth a shot, hmm she could probably mistaken something she saw with the plane and convinced herself that she does see the plane after realizing that the incident had occured. Ah well the plane's missing for quiet too long now, hope it wouldn't have to remain a mystery for much longer.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:12 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Well it's worth a shot, hmm she could probably mistaken something she saw with the plane and convinced herself that she does see the plane after realizing that the incident had occured. Ah well the plane's missing for quiet too long now, hope it wouldn't have to remain a mystery for much longer.
That's how I feel, too. I hope they solve it, so it doesn't turn into a permanently unsolved mystery. The families of those passengers need closure.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:16 AM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Malaysia PM: Flight Ended in Indian Ocean, Data Shows | NBC New York

Old 03-24-2014, 08:33 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrizFazz View Post
my country? Australians distributed more help from now on. Are you blind or deaf to hear latest?
Are you trying to imply you are Australian?

Old 03-24-2014, 05:20 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
At this point, hope seems very dim. The take away lesson here is to avoid Malaysia if at all possible, and certainly never ever book a flight on Malaysian Airway! I am planning a trip to Asia next fall, and Malaysia was on my list. In any case, my heart goes out to those grieving families who were put through such mental and emotional anguish and torture. The incompetency and the negligence demonstrated by the Malays are just stunning.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:25 PM

42 posts, read 63,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Fiz.

You are fizzing me out with your very poor English sentence construction. I cannot follow your thoughts, and if you claim to be Australian, then the country's educational system is in serious trouble.

My suggestion is for you to learn some proper English grammar, and throw in a bit more history of Asia since you claim that you are studying in China. Many of your questions and statements concerning China (China greedy?) point to serious shortcomings in your general understanding of Asian and Chinese histories.

The most current news is that more planes and ships are looking for the latest debris spotted by one of twenty Chinese satellites specifically tuned to look for wreckage in this huge area of the Indian Ocean. I hope they bring some real closure to this whole mess.
I'm using simple English since my studies in China needs more Mandarin views.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:31 PM

42 posts, read 63,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
At this point, hope seems very dim. The take away lesson here is to avoid Malaysia if at all possible, and certainly never ever book a flight on Malaysian Airway! I am planning a trip to Asia next fall, and Malaysia was on my list. In any case, my heart goes out to those grieving families who were put through such mental and emotional anguish and torture. The incompetency and the negligence demonstrated by the Malays are just stunning.
whats more weird here is how you takes yourself at one point just to claim yourself wont take any trips to Malaysia. Use your own forum instead. We're sharing infos about the aircrafts not about your condemnation on Malaysia. and please improve your gov incompetence to solve air pollution here. or you might want Australians gov to help you maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia