Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:02 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times

Advertisements

As a 50-year old American, I've seen a steady increase in the number of foreign students who attend and graduate at our american universities. Do the rich asian countries like China or India have their own universities? What are some of the better known ones that students attend in those countries? are they of substantially poorer quality than those found in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 03:06 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
As a 50-year old American, I've seen a steady increase in the number of foreign students who attend and graduate at our american universities. Do the rich asian countries like China or India have their own universities? What are some of the better known ones that students attend in those countries? are they of substantially poorer quality than those found in the US?
Rich Asian countries like China and India? The rich countries in Asia would include Singapore, Japan, etc. China and India aren't generally known as rich, although China is going in that direction.

The best universities in Asia, are consistently in Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Korea (which would probably equal 'the rich countries').

Since you asked about China and India. China has a few prestigious ones up there like Peking University and Tsinghua University. India doesn't rank very high at all, but I'm sure there is still an internal ranking there.

What generally happens in ASIA, is that the BEST ones are MOST COMPETITIVE. Not all the students can get into the best universities. Going to a lesser known university in Asia, kind of sets you on a much lower career track. However, this can be circumvented by studying in the United States. Almost any American institution will automatically put you up to a higher status than a very mediocre Asian university.

ADDITIONALLY, Americans do very little schoolwork in K-12, however American universities are generally well-known as great learning environments. In countries like Japan and Korea its pretty much the opposite. The High School years in particular, students in Korea and Japan might be studying every night until midnight easily. Once they get into college, those are their 'easy years', where they socialize, have fun, and take it easy until the rigorous real world career begins. In essence, this makes lesser-known universities even worse as far as reputation goes. However, competitive Asian universities will just be as rigorous as their American counterparts.

In short, it's because of their extreme competitiveness in Japan and Korea, in particular. I will assume China might be similar. The entrance exams are almost suicide machines in Japan and Korea, that is how competitive. If they cannot get into the best universities, they can bring some great shame to themselves and their families. However, studying in the U.S. can make up for this. Not only that, but in countries like South Korea, there are so many entry job requirements with a certain English ability needed just to be employed. So, going abroad can help achieve that otherwise difficult and costly goal as well.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:07 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
I don't think they come to USA because they don't have universities there. There are enough universities in Asia. Some are even better than US ones. But the fact they come to USA they think if they study in US university they might able to get a job and stay there. That is point of coming there as I think. But I know many who studied there and living there too. But most of the Asian young generation dream is go and live in foreign country.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,558 times
What a question
Quote:
Do the rich asian countries like China or India have their own universities?

Old 09-22-2014, 04:55 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,685 times
China and India are considered rich countries as far as GDP is concern, both are members of G20 nations.

GDP per capita is another thing, this determines the development status (or the lack of it) of the country. Singapore, Hongkong and Taiwan are some of the developed countries but not considered rich due to their lower GDP compared to China and India.

Other rich countries but not yet developed are Indonesia, Brazil and Russia.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:36 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
China and India are not rich,but they have great unis.

There are many great unis in Asia,Tokyo University is probably within top 30 in the world or something.Top universities in Japan,HK,Singapore,South Korea,China,and India are just as great as those in the US.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:02 AM

336 posts, read 591,987 times
I am one of those. An Asian who came over for graduate school in the US. There are great universities in Asia, of course. However, the prestige of top tier Asian schools can't compare to those in the US. And I would say that the method of teaching differs substantially between Asia and the West. In Asia, we are thought what to think. In the US, I had to come up with my own method of thinking and synthesizing. I prefer the method of teaching in the West.

Moreover, graduating from a school in an English speaking country offers a better prospect for job opportunities. It will show employees that the applicant are proficient in English (although in many cases they aren't).

For many richer Asian students, it is like a rite of passage. Get a bachelor degree from your own country and then go to the US/UK for graduate degree(s).

Old 09-22-2014, 09:18 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
^Well....I think there are nice courses and stimulating professors in Asian unis but I think I agree with you in general.The method of teaching ain't good here,and the credit counting is ridiculous.I took like 27 credits last fall and got a GPA of 4.17,it just shows how absolutely hammy our credits are.I wasn't even that hard-working.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:34 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
It is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to be accepted by top universities in China, and the same is true in Japan and Korea.
If someone wants to attend Peking University or Tsinghua University, he/she has to be a top 0.1% student in his province (unless he/she is from Beijing, then top 1% might work).

In China/Korea/Japan, attending a mediocre university means the future is doomed for most people. Therefore, many of them would rather go abroad.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:15 AM

510 posts, read 609,985 times
I think if you do a google search to see the world's top ranked universities you will see that most rankings have the US and the UK dominating the top 20 with The University of Tokyo typically being the only Asian university in the top 20. Once you get past 20 though, a lot more Asian universities start showing up. Kyoto University, National University of Singapore, Seoul National University, Tsinghua University, Peking University, The University of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Osaka University, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, and the National University of Taiwan all typically rank in the world's top 50.

As mentioned above, universities in Asia are SUPER competitive and SUPER hard to get into though as there are relatively few of them compared to the population of Asia, so it is no surprise that western universities get a lot of Asian students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia