Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:43 PM

510 posts, read 609,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Singapore is half Islamic state, half North Korea.
Only about 14% of the population of Singapore is muslim, the largest religion is Buddhism, followed by Christianity. There is nothing remotely "Islamic state" about Singapore. The comparison to North Korea is obviously extreme as well. Singapore's current leader was elected, people are free to pursue any career they want, free to leave at any time (either for holiday or permanent immigration), their salaries and expenses are mostly determined by market rate, not set by the government. Any citizen can run for public office, etc. Their freedom of the press is not great, and their libel laws are terrible, but for the most part citizens are free to do as they wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 03:38 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Why not? There are even smaller countries in the world.

But you need to be aware that Singapore and Hong Kong are totally different.

Singapore is an authoritarian state with very little press freedom and quite some Sharia law. However, the dictator of Singapore made some good decisions to boost the economy, making Singapore the only developed country that is very politically oppressive.

If Hong Kong were granted independence, it would probably look like Taiwan.
First HK has absolutely zero chance of go independent. NOr was HK EVER a democracy.

Two, Singapore IMO should serve as an example for many Asian countries. Singapore is not "oppressive". The government doesn't persecute its citizens, in fact, it is more succcessful than almost all countries except a few.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:36 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,274 times
Quote:
Singapore is half Islamic state, half North Korea.
This person obviously know nothing about singapore

Old 03-15-2017, 05:39 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Only about 14% of the population of Singapore is muslim, the largest religion is Buddhism, followed by Christianity. There is nothing remotely "Islamic state" about Singapore. The comparison to North Korea is obviously extreme as well. Singapore's current leader was elected, people are free to pursue any career they want, free to leave at any time (either for holiday or permanent immigration), their salaries and expenses are mostly determined by market rate, not set by the government. Any citizen can run for public office, etc. Their freedom of the press is not great, and their libel laws are terrible, but for the most part citizens are free to do as they wish.
Accutate truth !!!

Old 03-16-2017, 01:26 AM

857 posts, read 958,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What were some of things that Thatcher did to maximize Britain's economic interest in Hong Kong after the handover?
that detail i don't know, but china could have easily set British back in many ways. for example, confiscate British company assets that were attained with even just the slightest colonial govt help.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:00 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
First HK has absolutely zero chance of go independent. NOr was HK EVER a democracy.

Two, Singapore IMO should serve as an example for many Asian countries. Singapore is not "oppressive". The government doesn't persecute its citizens, in fact, it is more succcessful than almost all countries except a few.
Then, would you ever think about living in Singapore in your lifetime?

Old 03-16-2017, 04:06 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Definitely (assuming a good enough job). At least two friends of are live there and they are happy.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:15 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
I would live in Singapore in a mini-heartbeat! I absolutely love that city.

It's easy in the Top 5 cities in the world, that I'd love to be living in.

What do I love? Fantastic quality of life, I love the architecture - i.e. the colorful rowhomes and businesses, I love the modern buildings they keep constructing, the restaurants, the cultures - i.e. Chinese, Indian, Malay, British, etc. I love the fact they use English and have large English bookstores.

Fantastic city. I prefer it to Hong Kong, although Hong is also in my Top 5 favorite cities that I'd prefer to live in.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-16-2017 at 08:30 AM..

Old 03-16-2017, 10:27 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,714,515 times
http://harvardpolitics.com/world/sin...horitarianism/

Singapore is known for its stubborn authoritarianism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_in_Singapore

Caning is very popular among Muslim countries. Singapore is only half Islamic, cool, at least they don't do a lot of "honor killing".

Old 03-16-2017, 10:45 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,714,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

The only country that wants to be Singapore is China.

Communism leadership in China had been seeking for an example of a developed country with no political freedom. And Singapore came to rescue!

If Singapore is a success, Qatar is going to be rated as the best country in the world. The GDP per capital in Qatar is the highest in the world, followed by Luxembourg.

Money isn't everything, in my opinion.

Anyway, Singapore doesn't have a bad reputation outside Asia. It doesn't compete with the U.S or any other world power, who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia