Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cuisine do you prefer?
Thai Cuisine 47 74.60%
Filipino Cuisine 16 25.40%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 01:04 AM

29 posts, read 18,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
I think this thread needs to close down. Thai food wins. No need to keep insulting Philippineos food and make it look like a loser. Makes me want to change my vote for pity.
Insulting is against rules on the forum, if you feel insulted by improper use of language or rudeness then you should report the thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 02:02 AM

634 posts, read 327,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Filipino food is underrated. Mainly, there hasn't been the effort to make it to appeal specifically to non-Filipinos, especially westerners. Even at Filipino restaurants in the West, they're usually cafeteria style presented in a fashion that turns off westerners, like trays of chicken feet and pig feet. So its image is unappealing peasant food. But Filipino food is delicious from a good home cook or good Filipino restaurant. In the United States, Fil-Am chefs not catering to the immigrant Filipino only market have opened restaurants that have made Filipino cuisine a hot new trend in American restaurants.
In my town I recently went to a new Filipino place I just found out about. So good. The post before mine mentioned sisig. I wasn't big on sisig before, but the sisig at this place I went to was great. And spicy.
I think where we'll see people push the envelope and innovate with filipino cuisine (and other types of cuisine as well) is in the food truck space. Food trucks have to compete with other food trucks and traditional restaurants so they have to try new things and look for ways to set their food apart. It may not be reality but the perception of food trucks to me anyway is that they are ran by younger trendier people who take more chances and risks. A filipino food truck down in Charleston, SC that I really want to try (when the pandemic ends, I guess) has traditional offerings like siopao and lumpia but also has items like an adobo pulled pork sandwich on a Hawaiian roll with a papaya slaw, as well as a pork taco on a purple handmade ube tortilla with a pineapple salsa and mango habanero sauce. I think that food trucks are where we'll see filipino evolve in the west and find new trends being made.

Old 09-05-2020, 06:43 AM

Isn’t lumpia a Chinese spring rolls? Or the Chinese took the recipe and made it famous?

Old 09-05-2020, 12:17 PM

657 posts, read 244,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
I think where we'll see people push the envelope and innovate with filipino cuisine (and other types of cuisine as well) is in the food truck space. Food trucks have to compete with other food trucks and traditional restaurants so they have to try new things and look for ways to set their food apart. It may not be reality but the perception of food trucks to me anyway is that they are ran by younger trendier people who take more chances and risks. A filipino food truck down in Charleston, SC that I really want to try (when the pandemic ends, I guess) has traditional offerings like siopao and lumpia but also has items like an adobo pulled pork sandwich on a Hawaiian roll with a papaya slaw, as well as a pork taco on a purple handmade ube tortilla with a pineapple salsa and mango habanero sauce. I think that food trucks are where we'll see filipino evolve in the west and find new trends being made.
Siapao + lumpia is from China

Old 09-08-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pag-pag View Post
Might as well change name of Burger and Spaghetti then make it national dishes

Old 09-08-2020, 10:23 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
You don't have things like Sans Rival, Leche Flan, Biscocho and etc.

BTW Taiwanese Boba Tea stole their use of Sago Pearls from us, we had been using Sago before them, in the dessert called Taho from the 16th Century, whereas Taiwanese Boba Tea is invented in the 1980s.

Tapioca balls in Boba Tea even admit that they are a derivative and cheaper alternative to Southeast Asian balls.

Tapioca balls are translucent spheres produced from tapioca, a starch extracted from the cassava root.[1] They originated as a "cheaper alternative to pearl sago in Southeast Asian cuisine."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapioca_balls

Also, lol at you saying that Cendol is better than Halohalo. The first Ice Manufacturing plant in Southeast Asia is in the Philippines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insular_Ice_Plant

We were the first to pioneer Ice cream and Ice based desserts here in Southeast Asia, you were just copycats to us.
Eh, if the important thing is where parts of a dish was inspired from and having something derived from elsewhere is an issue, then I don't understand why you would put an emphasis on baked products derived from Europe like Sans Rival, Leche Flan, Biscocho and etc.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pag-pag View Post
The filipino takes on these have their idiosyncrasies. A lot of dishes in thai cooking, and actually much of southeast Asian cuisines have at least some Chinese influence.

Anyhow, the array of filipino desserts when you get good ones can be great. I think another strong suit are its silogs which are hearty, tasty simple breakfast dishes that really hit the spot for me.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenPedersen View Post
Might as well change name of Burger and Spaghetti then make it national dishes
Are you also Indonesian? You definitely don't write like someone from Denmark.

Old 09-09-2020, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Are you also Indonesian? You definitely don't write like someone from Denmark.
No I am not Indonesian ; ) But been there a couple times! Been also to The Philippines 3 times! I could write in Danish if you’d like? But how would you know what a danish person sounds like? Been here?

Old 09-09-2020, 02:16 AM

657 posts, read 244,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The filipino takes on these have their idiosyncrasies. A lot of dishes in thai cooking, and actually much of southeast Asian cuisines have at least some Chinese influence.

Anyhow, the array of filipino desserts when you get good ones can be great. I think another strong suit are its silogs which are hearty, tasty simple breakfast dishes that really hit the spot for me.
Indonesia have many breakfast food, every region is different. And yes vegetable is a must!

Tempeh and tofu more cheap and healthy than those marinated beef!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia