Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 08:20 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
If she is a good woman she will be furious later on at having been lied to, will be horrified at the thought of being with someone who can lie with a straight face for weeks or months and will intelligently realize if he can lie about this he can lie about anything, without so much as thinking twice, so...bye.

No "good" woman will willingly stay with a liar.
Typically, I agree with you, but I think you've missed the mark here.

There are legitimate reasons to disguise your financial status.
Of course, it depends on how one chooses to do that.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-16-2018 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: Orphaned (reply to post which has been deleted).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 08:38 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Well OP, you should tune into CNN Saturday night. Christiane Amanpour has a new series starting called Sex and Love Around the World, and tomorrow's destination is Japan.

Know before you go!

Old 03-16-2018, 10:08 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
If she is a good woman she will be furious later on at having been lied to, will be horrified at the thought of being with someone who can lie with a straight face for weeks or months and will intelligently realize if he can lie about this he can lie about anything, without so much as thinking twice, so...bye.

No "good" woman will willingly stay with a liar.
I did not say to lie, I said "date like"

Old 03-16-2018, 10:31 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
I've dated plenty of women in the US and Asia and have never had women I've dated in any country inquire about my income, so it has never been something I've needed to "hide." I've never had a 7-figure income like you, but I would think as long as you don't flaunt it or bring it up yourself there's really no way anyone is going to know.

Now granted, if you go to a poorer country in Asia (Philippines, Cambodia, Thailand, etc.) there are going to be people who see any westerner and assume (usually correctly) that you are wealthy relative to them. I wouldn't see that being a concern in a wealthy nation like Japan, though.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:47 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
I've lived abroad and I have a significant amount of money.

Here's my experience: being white will automatically give you higher status. You don't need to be wealthy. People will assume you're wealthy either way.

I wouldn't disclose that you're a (USD) millionaire because, frankly, you don't need it at all.
That’s not necessarily true.

Being white alone in Japan or a foreign country won’t give you a higher status. For example, plenty of young white males are military living in foreign countries and they’re not assumed to be wealthy by anyone. In Okinawa, they’re considered a nuisance.

However, finding out your nationality will give you a “better” status. If a woman finds out you’re from America, then the women who like Americans (every country has a percentage of women who date foreigners) , will see a shot at a visa or green card. But they have to already like and date foreigners.

I’m black, lived in Japan for 3 years while serving in the Air Force, and it was my status as an American that was so appealing. For the women who only date foreigners, there’s this notion that everything will be taken care of if you date/marry someone from America. And it’s true as many women in these countries (Japan, South Korea, Phillipines, Thailand) have gotten married to military and end up in America.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:53 PM

5 posts, read 6,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Woodsmoke is on the right track, OP. Thanks for providing a little more info. I see you're too young to be dating businesswomen, but you're the perfect age to date the daughters of successful businessmen, who are fresh out of university, and getting trained at their dad's company, to rise through the ranks over time. That would be the best way to avoid the airheaded type.

We had a member here before, who said that Japanese women sometimes make the first move, ask for a date, and pay for it. I don't know if that's true, or if he was trolling. He claimed to have a lot of experience dating in Asia.
I didn't consider this. This could work I may be able to set something up.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:14 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Lol I just read this yesterday. Might give you some hope

I found out my husband had a giant trust fund - Business Insider

Old 03-17-2018, 12:31 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
Here's my experience: being white will automatically give you higher status. You don't need to be wealthy. People will assume you're wealthy either way.
In my experience this really depends on the country. Obviously in Europe people don't automatically consider "white" to be "rich" any more than they do in the US, and the same is also true in wealthy nations of Asia such as Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. (I speak from having spent time in all of these places.) In fact, the Upper Middle and Upper classes of these countries sometimes (and often correctly) view Westerners as relative lower class economic immigrants. They know you're only in their country because you can make more money there-- If you were making a ton of money in the US you'd probably have stayed there, right? That's their assumption.

On the other hand, if you go to POOR countries, people will assume you are wealthy if you're white. Relatively speaking, they too are usually correct in their assumption. Even if you're a college student backpacking on a shoestring budget or an English teacher making $20K/yr., you are "wealthy" compared to the average person in India, Sri Lanka, Cambodia (and much of SE Asia), or most of the entire continent of Africa, among other places.

Last edited by SkylarkPhotoBooth; 03-17-2018 at 12:58 AM..

Old 03-17-2018, 07:51 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
I personally wouldn’t let it be known that I make that much, you don’t have to lie, just don’t mention it. You can discuss what you do, like for me, for example, I will tell them I am self employed, I will tell them what I do, but perhaps not the extent of it . You could tell them you own an online store and simply leave out how big it is. When people ask me what I do, I tell them I own a restaurant, I don’t normally divulge I also own real estate and have an online store, unless occasionally they do the same and then it gives us something in common to talk about.

You tell people you are that wealthy and it will effect your relationships. You will certainly get gold diggers and it can be difficult to tell who genuinely likes you and who is with you for your money.

For me personally, the in-depth financial conversations come later when a relationship is getting more serious and mature. That’s just not something someone you have only known a few months needs to know.

I’m no expert in Japanese culture, but I believe there are many parallels to Chinese culture, and I am married to a Chinese woman. Money and stability are very important and many women will marry just for those things. Typically the purpose of dating is to lead to marriage, it isn’t just for fun like for many westerners. Family is very important, if her family doesn’t like you, the relationship will likely be over. Again, no need to tell them how much you make, but make it obvious you are financially well off to the parents. Take them all out to a really nice meal and pay for everyone. Gifts are likely important. You should do some research because I’m just making some assumptions, there is tons of good information online. You can probably find some good YouTube videos on do”s and don’t s of dating Japanese women.

Be classy and generous, people will figure out you are wealthy. No reason to give them an actual dollar amount.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:49 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo3 View Post
HI, I'm going to be moving to Japan this year and I will probably be there for 2 years or more. I was going to try my hand at the dating game while I'm there. I've seen similar Posts to this but they never get as high as my case and people act a lot different when they see 8 digits compared to 6 digits.

Now I've never had to hard of a time with women here in the states I'm fairly confident with women so dating them isn't a issue. But there's always the point in the relationship where I can no longer hide just how much money I have and it makes my relationships go sour to a point where I can tell the woman clearly is only thinking about how to stay with me for the money.

I started a business a few years ago and it boomed into a large world wide company. Now I make 5m-10m a year just from it not including my other financial investments. So the main thing I'd like some advise on is if I should should hide my true wealth and go there as a upper middle class man like I was planning then she'd figure it out when things get serious/she comes with me to the states or should i be upfront with my wealth and hope to god that at some point i meet someone who isnt thinking about my money. Any help would be great. Thanks.
If you are who you say you are, you should know how to meet people in your own social circles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia