Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,419 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Kazakhstan soon and am looking for realistic info about life and especially environmental issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 03:43 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
You're either teaching ESL or in the petro businesses?

If it's ESL check Daves ESL cafe. There are a couple of posters who have done Khazakstan. Job Discussion Forums :: View Forum - Russia & C.I.S.

For general news this is a good website. EurasiaNet.org - Central Asia, Caucasus News

Otherwise Khazakstan is a pretty out of the way place not many people get to.

Once you get there, report back. I'm interested to hear.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:13 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Apart from the Baïkonour launch site, the dying Aral sea and Borat, I know nothing about that (new) country.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:45 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenKazakhstan View Post
I am moving to Kazakhstan soon and am looking for realistic info about life and especially environmental issues.
I've never been there. However, I know a little bit about it from some research I've done.

There are two major cites, Almaty and Astana. Almaty is the old capital while the purpose-built Astana is the new one.

The landscape is dry and relatively sparse in vegetation.

Kazakh cuisine is similar, as far as I know, to Mongolian cuisine. Horse meat, dumplings, and very little vegetables. I looked for a Kazakh restaurant when I was in New York City, but was unable to locate one and instead ended up eating at an Uyghur restaurant, supposedly the first in the country.

The official language is Kazakh, which I believe is a Turkic language. If it isn't Turkic, than it belongs to the broader Altaic family. Russian may also come in handy.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:22 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,532 times
CIA World Factbook is a great source!

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/kz.html

1. Ethnic Groups: Kazakh (Qazaq) 53.4%, Russian 30%, Ukrainian 3.7%, Uzbek 2.5%, German 2.4%, Tatar 1.7%, Uyghur 1.4%, other 4.9%

2. Religions: Muslim 47%, Russian Orthodox 44%, Protestant 2%, other 7%

3. Languages: Kazakh (Qazaq, state language) 64.4%, Russian (official, used in everyday business, designated the "language of interethnic communication") 95%

4. Environment Issues: Radioactive or toxic chemical sites associated with former defense industries and test ranges scattered throughout the country pose health risks for humans and animals; industrial pollution is severe in some cities; because the two main rivers that flowed into the Aral Sea have been diverted for irrigation, it is drying up and leaving behind a harmful layer of chemical pesticides and natural salts; these substances are then picked up by the wind and blown into noxious dust storms; pollution in the Caspian Sea; soil pollution from overuse of agricultural chemicals and salination from poor infrastructure and wasteful irrigation practices

Old 01-30-2010, 10:51 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Very nice, informative site : Kazakhstan's Food and Traditions
http://aboutkazakhstan.com/kazakhsta...nal-food.shtml

Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 AM

311 posts, read 694,098 times
Kazakhstan is number 1 exporter of potassium.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:15 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Oh, man...my parents have been living in Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan for the last decade on and off. Oil stuff.

I can't think of anything good to say about it...not based on what they've told me. Nothing to do, outrageous prices, trouble getting fresh produce and non-tuberculosis-infected meat...

Also, flights in and out of even the major cities are often limited.

On the bright side, they do attend a lot of functions and party with ambassadors, etc.

Good luck.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:16 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Once you get there, report back. I'm interested to hear.
Me too

Old 02-03-2010, 04:22 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenKazakhstan View Post
This is what I know from National Geographic. During the Soviet days, Kazakhstan was basically the "Nevada of the USSR" due to nuclear waste and other things nuclear being stored there, and nuclear weapons constantly being tested. Unlike Nevada, weapons were often tested close to where people were living. Basically, people in Kazakhstan were treated like guinea pigs. Because of this, alot of people have suffered from cancer and high rates of birth defects. The Aral Sea has also suffered from the fouling up related to the Soviet government. Water was diverted from rivers that fed the Aral Sea. More water was coming from the lake than going in. It was being used to make Uzbekistan into "The Dixie of the USSR", basically, a cotton growing region. All kinds of pesticides and fertilizers were used. Alot of it was dumped into the rivers and Aral Sea. Combine this with drought and there will be problems. The lake started shrinking and the salinity content got to high, to the point where the fish and other aquatic species were being killed off. What was left behind with the lake shrinking was salts and pesticides and other agricultural runoff. When the wind blows, the dust from what used to be the Aral Sea gets everywhere and people in that area have been suffering from high rates of throat cancer and other respiratory problems. Because of the poor quality of the water for some residents, high incidents of diarrhea and kidney disease is common. The issue of the Aral Sea has also affected Uzbekistan. Kazakhstan was basically fouled up during the Soviet days and is suffering for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia