Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 03:12 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
not sure how you think posting US$500/night all inclusive resorts in the middle of nowhere is at all helpful in a thread about CHEAP beach CITIES.
La Union, Siargao of Surigao del Norte, Baler, Aurora Quezon & Pagudpud Ilocos Norte are surfing spot. People usually going there for surfing this is for those who want to go and surf. but anyways, disregard the resort that I posted if you think it's cheap beach and cities. there's only 3-4surfing spots in the Philippines if you are looking for a place where you could surf although Philippines is not a surfing country so there's only like 3-4 beaches with huge waves for surfer. Hawaii will always be the place for surfing.

Camires Sur of Bicol Region.

Last edited by pinai; 07-23-2012 at 03:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 03:23 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
nice post, my research was indicating the same thing on dumaguete.

cebu seems best option for me. dozens of go-go/bikini bars, lotsa after hour discos, street scene, universities, malls, etc. a healthy mix of everything, possible to see different faces every night if i want.
Yep, Cebu is the best city option.

Manila is actually the best nightlife by far. But Manila has a ton of social ills, that most people would want to flee as quickly as possible. It's unfortunate that they didn't have a ton of basic 'don't harrass and rip-off foreigners' ordinances.

Manila is the city that everyone experiences when they enter the Philippines and when they leave the Philippines. I love the Philippines, but that city always leaves a really bad impression/memory/feeling upon entering and leaving. It's unfortunate, as outside of Manila, the Philippines is a lovely place with lovely people.

It's equally unfortunate as the nightlife in Manila is really going on....but the people in that city, really have a way of quickly getting on a tourist or visitors skin.

Cebu is nowhere as cool as Manila for nightlife or other things, but it has almost none of the social ills and constant irritations that plague Manila. So, by default, Cebu is by far the better place to be.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:27 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Manila is actually the best nightlife by far. But Manila has a ton of social ills, that most people would want to flee as quickly as possible. It's unfortunate that they didn't have a ton of basic 'don't harrass and rip-off foreigners' ordinances.

Manila is the city that everyone experiences when they enter the Philippines and when they leave the Philippines. I love the Philippines, but that city always leaves a really bad impression/memory/feeling upon entering and leaving. It's unfortunate, as outside of Manila, the Philippines is a lovely place with lovely people.

It's equally unfortunate as the nightlife in Manila is really going on....but the people in that city, really have a way of quickly getting on a tourist or visitors skin.

Cebu is nowhere as cool as Manila for nightlife or other things, but it has almost none of the social ills and constant irritations that plague Manila. So, by default, Cebu is by far the better place to be.
there are Islands in Southern Luzon area far from Manila. Camarines Sur and Caramoan Islands in Bicolandia Region.
Survivor TV Reality Show favorite spot location.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:41 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
there are Islands in Southern Luzon area far from Manila. Camarines Sur and Caramoan Islands.
Survivor TV Reality Show favorite spot location.
There are gazillions of reclusive resorts all over the Philippines. I just don't know who can afford it. They are always $500/night and on and on. They are exclusive to just other rich foreigners on their spending sprees as well.

I think what the OP is looking for is an affordable BEACH CITY....a CITY with nightlife on the beaches. That doesn't exist in the Philippines. Boracay and the one near Puerto Galera are the only actual beach scenes, but neither is an actual city with an actual city anywhere near it.

Yes, a ton of other exclusive resorts that no filipinas could ever afford to visit, those are all over the place. There are tons of islands with resorts with no city whatsoever, just some rural folk fishing here and there. Those exist as well.

But, I think the OP is looking for an actual CITY with an actual BEACH SCENE...something like Los Angeles, Rio de Janeiro, Sydney, San Diego, Honolulu, etc. A place where a person is in a city, and can be at a beach that is extremely popular with the locals as well. That doesn't really exist.

If I were to recommend some great beaches though where a person could 'party' and 'meet people', than I can really only think of Boracay and to a much lesser extent Puerto Galera's 'White Beach'. Sure there are thousands and thousands of other beaches throughout the Philippines, but most are very very quiet affairs of just going there with the people you went with, and not really a 'party beach' where a person goes there to meet other people easily.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:30 AM

207 posts, read 707,277 times
Southern or Northern parts of Cebu. Cebu would be the most ideal as you can escape to the city if you wanted to very easily. Bohol would be a great place too.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:37 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

the other guy im going with is from manila and wants to avoid it for some reason.

i like manila but personally find it too expensive. too many nights where i mess up and blow a bunch of money at places like p. burgos st or high end ktvs like air force one. in cebu as long as i avoid arena i wont have that problem. my budget will only be 80,000php/month or so, and i am positive id spend more than that in manila.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:06 AM

987 posts, read 1,385,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
I am currently investigating different cities that would suit my 6 month stay in the Phillippeans. I am aware that Boracay has the absolute nicest paradise-like beaches but I know that the costs of living there are pretty high compared to other parts of the Philippines.
So, what I am looking for is a nice, pretty large (100,000+ people) city which is near the beach, fun, good nightlife and food and is doable on a budget of $1000/month (including rent, food etc.)
Which cities can you recommend?
A budget of a $1,000 a month isn't much to live on from what you described in your post!
All of the places that people have already recommended here is just a little too expensive!
I bet someone who's already living in the Philippines and is a very frugal single young individual who likes to party will disagree with me, but I will welcome his/her input on this subject!
This particular topic has come up on a lot of forums concerning cost of living in the Philippines and is very controversial, where one size doesn't fit all, because some would say it's doable and others would say it is not doable living on $1,000 a month due to varying reasons, predicaments and or other circumstances!

Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
A budget of a $1,000 a month isn't much to live on from what you described in your post!
All of the places that people have already recommended here is just a little too expensive!
I bet someone who's already living in the Philippines and is a very frugal single young individual who likes to party will disagree with me, but I will welcome his/her input on this subject!
This particular topic has come up on a lot of forums concerning cost of living in the Philippines and is very controversial, where one size doesn't fit all, because some would say it's doable and others would say it is not doable living on $1,000 a month due to varying reasons, predicaments and or other circumstances!
i fit that bill (single, young, likes to party, spends time in PI) and i agree that $1000/mo isn't much. thats not even 45,000php/mo. i personally wouldnt go to PI with under 75,000php/mo and preferably have at least 100,000php/mo.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:06 PM

987 posts, read 1,385,792 times
Quote:
i fit that bill (single, young, likes to party, spends time in PI) and i agree that $1000/mo isn't much. thats not even 45,000php/mo. i personally wouldnt go to PI with under 75,000php/mo and preferably have at least 100,000php/mo.
Thanks for your input! I do know there are those living in the Philippines that can squeeze $1,000 a month into their monthly budget only if they live the lifestyle of your average local Filipino with a spouse and at least 2 children only earning P350 to P500 a day working 30 days without a break, because the average working monthly income of the average Filipino is between P10,000 to P15,000 which is less than $1,000 a month.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,266 times
You're looking for a metropolitan area with access to good beaches, right? In that case:

Laoag (access to Pagudpud)

Cebu (Mactan)

Davao

Tagaytay (Batangas for snorkling/scuba)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia