Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:00 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,364,129 times

Advertisements

It boils down to the Atheist sees reality, and thus are worried about future generations and the mess we are leaving them to clean up, While the god fearing think god will swoop down and save them in the nick of time. It boils down to accepting reality and the responsibility of an adult or hiding you head in the sand and hoping for a myth to save you like a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 09:49 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,568,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
It boils down to the Atheist sees reality, and thus are worried about future generations and the mess we are leaving them to clean up, While the god fearing think god will swoop down and save them in the nick of time. It boils down to accepting reality and the responsibility of an adult or hiding you head in the sand and hoping for a myth to save you like a child.
And some of them seem so sure that god is going to swoop them up and save them soon, I wonder if they even bother to take the trash out, as they will surely be gone before it begins to stink.

Same mind set when it comes to taking care of the planet, i.e. SOI Watts under Regan that felt protecting the environment was not necessary cause jesus was on his way.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:29 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,219,561 times
The main thing I recall about Watts is that he was against the Beach Boys doing a 4th of July concert in Washington D.C. because they were rock'n'roll people. He made a real laughingstock of himself on that one.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 AM

34 posts, read 33,286 times
Default Then whu . . .

Why do deeply religious people fly planes into buildings and atheists fly banners and signs?

Religious people kill gays, doctors and authors, atheists account for 97% of the scientists who create medications and machines that give you longer life. Scientists cannot be bound to and within the limitations of the Bible or scripture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
TORONTO, Aug. 7 (UPI) -- Thinking about God

reduce distress, but only in believers, while atheists are more distressed after thinking of God-related ideas, Canadian researchers say.

Researchers at the University of Toronto Scarborough looked at brain activity in people primed to think about God and found decreases in activity in the anterior cingulate cortex -- an area of the brain associated with regulating bodily states of arousal when things were going wrong -- such as making mistakes.

Thinking about God de-stresses believers - UPI.com

Old 04-13-2012, 07:00 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,401,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
That would be because we understand the danger of the believers forcing stupidity upon us.
I agree with, ermm, a watered-down version of this statement. I think perceived reason to get defensive is going to stress people out in general.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 PM

40 posts, read 36,758 times
If a person is thinking about a god they are not an atheist.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:58 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,568,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
If a person is thinking about a god they are not an atheist.
Very true , when I see the ignorance based on gods, such as the ballot initiative that is going to be on my states ballot this May, voting on amending the state constitution to discriminate against a group of people based solely on their imaginary friends whims, it is the utterly stupid people that want to impose this hate that I think of, not their imaginary friend.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:04 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,858,802 times
The thought od God doesn't stress me out........ in fact if i want a good "chuckle", i switch on one of the various religous tv stations here in Florida and watch the "followers" getting "fleeced" by the religious zelouts asking for their money............ Sooooo funny to see this happening in the 21st Century but they are like "lambs to the slaughter" and the only ones getting rich are the TV stations and the so called "evangelists".... never seen one dressed badly yet................lmao

Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,964,068 times
Spiritual matters do not stress me out, but they does cause me to think about things and to do some research and study into different aspects of it. I actually find the whole realm of the topic quite interesting despite my agnosticism. The way I see it, that's their belief and not mine, so why should I care or get stressed about?

I tell you what though, I bet a believer who is waiting on god to perform some miraculous cure on him for some horrible, incurable diesease and only gets silence becomes pretty stressed out.

Last edited by Fullback32; 04-27-2012 at 04:25 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 04:05 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,513,169 times
I should point out that the study showed increased blood flow in the anterior cingulate cortex region of the brain for atheist, while reduced blood flow for theist.

And while they for some reason describe this as the "stress" center of the brain, it is actually the part of the brain that is associated with rational cognative functions, such as decision making.

From wiki:
"Many studies attribute functions such as error detection, anticipation of tasks, attention,[8] motivation, and modulation of emotional responses to the ACC."

So another interpretation of the results is that atheist think harder about religion then theist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism