Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:48 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Atheism is NOT a religion but it IS a belief system. So yes... and no, depending on your perspective.
Atheism is as much a belief 'system' as not believing in leprechauns is a belief 'system'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 12:01 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,519 times
The word atheism is a misnomer, an odd word. Too many people get fixated on the suffix, ergo the confusion, an outcome of unfortunate diarrhetic low level comprehension skills.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:41 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
what do you all think. atheists believe in nothing, but nothing is still something. atheists believe they know for a fact, what no person could possibly know. they claim to know the unknown. I'm more of an agnostic, in that I admit that I don't know the unknown. atheism to me is an unorganized religion. it's a group of people believing they can predict the unknown.
No.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Atheism is a secular religion that requires enormous faith ,like Theism , only with much more of it. If atheism is true, then the TV can naturally be made functional from an explosion of diodes, resistors, speakers, a pane of glass , electrical wires over a long time by chance ( but not before each and every compoenent comes into being first from other haphazard explosions too) . Is it possible ?? Sure, anything is possible so long as we dont have to admit to a personal Creator .
How would you like for me to label and define your beliefs (or lack of beliefs) for you? Would that be fair, huh? I could say hey, christianity is a terribly suppressive misogynistic and bigoted religion that thrives on fear and the threat of eternal torture; Jesus was bisexual, married to Mary Magdalene and Judas was his lover, and all priests are boy-diddlers...

Would that be fair for me to state that and insist on it despite your fervent claims that "that's not Christianity"? No? Then how is it fair for YOU to say that atheism is a religion?

Don't define what I believe, because you are woefully wrong.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:14 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Atheism is a secular religion that requires enormous faith ,like Theism , only with much more of it. If atheism is true, then the TV can naturally be made functional from an explosion of diodes, resistors, speakers, a pane of glass , electrical wires over a long time by chance ( but not before each and every compoenent comes into being first from other haphazard explosions too) . Is it possible ?? Sure, anything is possible so long as we dont have to admit to a personal Creator .
You distaste of Atheists is palpable, especially in other posting you have made, but you have disqualified yourself from the right to judge any Atheist as someone that believes in the nonsense of gods and all the fairy tale trappings that accompany them.

Perhaps someday you will free your mind of that nonsense and realize how wrong your statement above is; perhaps not.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:30 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Atheism is as much a belief 'system' as not believing in leprechauns is a belief 'system'.
You should join :

ALAH - Anti Leprechaun Activists and Hat | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10760385465 - broken link)

Anyway...

Times change, things evolve. Atheism is not the lack of anything anymore... it's a movement with a defined agenda and a creedo all it's own.

Here's one of literally hundreds of groups with an actual mission statement:

About Atheists United (http://www.atheistsunited.org/about-au - broken link)

Not saying it's all bad, but it has clearly turned into a belief system with all the hallmarks of one. This is not hard to see. Yet you deny it?

Old 08-31-2010, 01:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
I think this video about abiogenesis is also on point here

Video "The Origin of Life - Abiogenesis - Interview with Jack Szostak" - Technorati

Dorothy

Old 08-31-2010, 01:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
You should join :

ALAH - Anti Leprechaun Activists and Hat | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10760385465 - broken link)

Anyway...

Times change, things evolve. Atheism is not the lack of anything anymore... it's a movement with a defined agenda and a creedo all it's own.

Here's one of literally hundreds of groups with an actual mission statement:

About Atheists United (http://www.atheistsunited.org/about-au - broken link)

Not saying it's all bad, but it has clearly turned into a belief system with all the hallmarks of one. This is not hard to see. Yet you deny it?
A mission statement does not a *religion* make. My Friends of the Westside Library are working on writing a mission statement.

The mission statement of the organization you link to is not religious at all.
Secular government has many proponents and not all are atheist. Raising awareness that atheists are not evil is not religious, but a matter of self-preservation.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:45 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
A mission statement does not a *religion* make. My Friends of the Westside Library are working on writing a mission statement.

The mission statement of the organization you link to is not religious at all.
Secular government has many proponents and not all are atheist. Raising awareness that atheists are not evil is not religious, but a matter of self-preservation.
NOT religon. A BELIEF SYSTEM. NOT THE SAME THING!!!

But both are meant to plug the same hole in human psychology.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:46 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,042 times
Almost every hospital has a Mission Statement as well. It is not related to religion at all, it simply states the overall goal of an organisation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism