Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:06 AM

102 posts, read 100,486 times

Advertisements

Swedes Ban Creationism from Schools—Including Christian Schools!
[SIZE=4]by Paul Taylor, AiG–U.K.
October 18, 2007
[/SIZE]Layman
[SIZE=4]Keywords
[/SIZE]author-paul-taylor
creation-education
creation-evolution-controversy
creation-opposition
education
europe
A previous web article reported on a recent vote by the Parliamentary Assembly for the Council of Europe (PACoE) to approve a report that claimed creationism was a danger to human rights in Europe.1 While the PACoE vote does not have any legal status, it is assumed to have influence.
That influence perhaps has already been seen.
Moderator cut: To adhere to copyright [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2007/10/18/swedes-ban-creationism
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Last edited by june 7th; 01-29-2011 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
The ban on teaching 'creation science' (I pause to laugh at those words) won't do any good.

Many people want to believe that we humans are more special than animals, and those people simply cannot accept the idea of evolution.

That's fine with me.

I would not be upset if my grandkids were taught about 'creation science' in school. At some point, they have to learn not to believe everything they hear.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:12 AM

Default Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoQueHacemohAhora View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned

I think europeans are fed up with the rant about what god did.

There is not a scap of evidence to support the existence of gods now or ever.
We also know that matter cannot be created or destroyed, it was always there in one form or another, thus, praying is Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 01-29-2011 at 02:27 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 11:13 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
The ban on teaching 'creation science' (I pause to laugh at those words) won't do any good.

Many people want to believe that we humans are more special than animals, and those people simply cannot accept the idea of evolution.
I do object to my grand kids being taught fable based science, for the simple reason our schools are already a miserable failure on the world stage of education, and the time spent is counter productive. The United States ranks 14th out of 34 OECD countries for reading skills, 17th for science and a below-average 25th for mathematics. Mediocre striving to reach the bottom, and teaching nonsense will only hasten the process. Our kids would fair much better if the time was spent outside playing, i.e. physical activity.

As for those "special people" that feel they are more special than animals, they are proof positive that we are just one of many species of animals. A species that has developed what no other species has achieved, stupidity and arrogance.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:22 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobee View Post
There is not a scap of evidence to support the existence of gods now or ever.
We also know that matter cannot be created or destroyed
Sure there is plenty of evidence used to support 'creation acience". It is the same evidence used to support evolution.

However, the creationists just interpret the evidence differently.

Matter cannot be created or destroyed? Where have you been?

Look up at the sun and you can see lots of hydrogen atoms being combined to form helium. In the process, matter is destroyed, and that is where the sun gets its energy.

And what happens after all of the hydrogen atoms are converted into helium? You don't want to know.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I do object to my grand kids being taught fable based science, for the simple reason our schools are already a miserable failure on the world stage of education, and the time spent is counter productive. The United States ranks 14th out of 34 OECD countries for reading skills, 17th for science and a below-average 25th for mathematics. Mediocre striving to reach the bottom, and teaching nonsense will only hasten the process. Our kids would fair much better if the time was spent outside playing, i.e. physical activity.

As for those "special people" that feel they are more special than animals, they are proof positive that we are just one of many species of animals. A species that has developed what no other species has achieved, stupidity and arrogance.
I agree, we are intelligent but not intelligent enough.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:37 PM

Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Sure there is plenty of evidence used to support 'creation acience". It is the same evidence used to support evolution.

However, the creationists just interpret the evidence differently.

Matter cannot be created or destroyed? Where have you been?

Look up at the sun and you can see lots of hydrogen atoms being combined to form helium. In the process, matter is destroyed, and that is where the sun gets its energy.

And what happens after all of the hydrogen atoms are converted into helium? You don't want to know.

SIR, helium is still matter. The first law of physics= matter cannot be created or destroyed.
Google it.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:40 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Good for Sweden! Creationism is no better, no more truthful or more plausible than the Lochness Monster, Bigfoot, or the Chubacabra. It holds absolutely no scientific weight, will stop at nothing to lie for its cause, and dresses itself up like a transvestite in a scientific skirt and blouse to make itself seem credible.

Just because a lot of people believe in it doesn't mean it should be taught alongside evolution in a science class - which is what the law took care of. Science should be taught in a science class; not some garbage invented by a bunch of money-grubbing religious zealots on the other side of the pond.

If Creationism is allowed to be taught as an "alternative" theory, we might as well teach alchemy in chemistry class, astrology in astronomy class, and miasma to our medical school students. Hopefully America will follow suit!

Old 01-26-2011, 01:43 PM

Default Customers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Good for Sweden! Creationism is no better, no more truthful or more plausible than the Lochness Monster, Bigfoot, or the Chubacabra. It holds absolutely no scientific weight, will stop at nothing to lie for its cause, and dresses itself up like a transvestite in a scientific skirt and blouse to make itself seem credible.

Just because a lot of people believe in it doesn't mean it should be taught alongside evolution in a science class - which is what the law took care of. Science should be taught in a science class; not some garbage invented by a bunch of money-grubbing religious zealots on the other side of the pond.

If Creationism is allowed to be taught as an "alternative" theory, we might as well teach alchemy in chemistry class, astrology in astronomy class, and miasma to our medical school students. Hopefully America will follow suit!
We have to blame the customers.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:08 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
GCSTroop has it right. Sweden did the right thing. It is up to parents to teach their children to watch out for charlatanry (I think I made up a word there). Schools shouldn't confuse children by giving 'alternative' explanations and implicitly giving them equal standing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism