Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:16 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,855,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
God received quite a fair hearing from me. I heard nothing. Since there is nothing to hear, that is understandable.
God proves himself to those who are really willing to listen. Humility is needed first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 11:23 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,206,122 times
You don't know me, so your banal posts are unappreciated. I "tried out" your god and religion for decades, never receiving evem the weakest signal for my trouble. You are inferring that I am/was not humble enough. Such is not the case. Perhaps I simply was/am too grounded in reality to fool myself into thinking I heard something.

If it makes you happy to believe, that's fine with me, but don't put me down because I don't. I am happy not to believe.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
You don't know me, so your banal posts are unappreciated. I "tried out" your god and religion for decades, never receiving evem the weakest signal for my trouble. You are inferring that I am/was not humble enough. Such is not the case. Perhaps I simply was/am too grounded in reality to fool myself into thinking I heard something.

If it makes you happy to believe, that's fine with me, but don't put me down because I don't. I am happy not to believe.
Wasn't aware that I was putting you down. That wasn't my attention. No need to be defensive. He's your God too, btw

Perhaps your idea of "trying him out" was based far too much on practicing a religion, rather than focusing on developing a personal relationship with God. That's a common mistake that many make. Just an assumption here. Not implying that I know you.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:51 PM

You assumed that I didn't go about it the right way or else it would have 'taken'. There is nothing to "develop a personal relationship" with. It is offensive for you to tell me that "He is [my] God too, btw". That is only according to your beliefs, which I do not share.

BTW, why are you here on this subforum, to proselytize to atheists? I don't get on the Christianity forum and tell them how wrong I think they are. I would expect to receive a very unfriendly reception there (although I'm certain some kindly folk would pray for me).

I'm enjoying the rise of Atheism, which is this thread's subject.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:55 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,220,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
He's the Lord, not a wizard. His miracles are being performed every day, but now he needs to perform some magic tricks to appease the arrogant?
No majik trix, just a simple personal manifestation will do. I am sure each of us here will ask him to perform a miracle or two, like the genie granting three wishes.
Quote:
Every word of your post further exposes the mind of people who have no clue what faith means.
Oh we do understand
Quote:
Just try Him out. What harm can it do?
30+ years of my life wasted trying to hold onto this stupid faith, no thank you.

Oh Pascal's wager does not work on atheists

Old 04-15-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Oh Pascal's wager does not work on atheists
Thank you for proving my point. "Trying him out" does not mean carrying on in life pretending or acting as if you believe in God when you don't. Trying him out means abandoning your own understanding and putting a situation in the hands of God. To my knowledge, Pascal's wager seems to be more about good works and following the laws of the bible in hopes that the person doing so will be fully converted. I don't know that this has worked (or atleast appeared to), and I don't think you know for a fact either, so neither of us are in any place to say.

It's not my goal to be combative or to just be a bully. I've never posted in this forum before tonight and just felt compelled to share what I believe.

I do have to ask, though, how was your life wasted for 30+ years? What is it that you're doing now that "holding" onto Christianity kept you from doing then?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Trying him out means abandoning your own understanding and putting a situation in the hands of God.
That is something I would never do. My own understanding, incomplete though it may be, is a much better one than that contained in an ancient mythological text.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:20 AM

63,891 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
No god has not received a "fair" hearing as even your concept of god is man made.
Come on Seeker . . . tell me some concept that is NOT man-made.
Quote:
You merely attempt, in vain I might add, to intellectualize this invisible god.

Any god worth his her salt, would have no problem in representing themself w/o the need for lame apologetics.
God needs nothing from us so there is no point in what you ask for. We OTOH . . . need God if we are to understand our purpose in being. That purpose is to mature into the self-reliant, independent, self-determined being that will constitute a cellular part of God's consciousness. God is not dependent, does not rely on anything, and is self-determined. To require the proof you demand would only establish that you are dependent, rely on external validation, and are not self-determined. What would He want with anyone who was any of those things?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:41 AM

166 posts, read 375,636 times
Agnosticism is the only path for the rational.

Most atheists claim to be persons of logic and science. Yet many of them deny the possibility of a deity with the same zeal as an evangelist proclaims it's existence. Being sure something doesn't exist - wow. A theological "all in".

That's
what I call faith.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRothschild View Post
Agnosticism is the only path for the rational.

Most atheists claim to be persons of logic and science. Yet many of them deny the possibility of a deity with the same zeal as an evangelist proclaims it's existence. Being sure something doesn't exist - wow. A theological "all in".

That's what I call faith.
But aren't many agnostics likely to go either way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism