Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,459,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
It's indisputable. Isn't it?
It is extremely disputable, as we spent an entire 38-page thread discussing not even a week ago.

Why does the existence of atheism bother you so?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,992 times
Atheism doesn't deliver any message.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:23 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,300,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Yes, you are incorrect in your assumptions.

If you personally need the threat of eternal hell to keep you from harming others, then you need help.
Am I in bizarro world? The defenition of atheism is "disbelief in a diety."

If there is no diety, what happens to us when we die?

We cease to exist? Correct?

If we cease to exist, there is no accountability. I didn't realize I made this difficult to understand.

Am I wrong?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Am I wrong?
Your premise certainly is.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:26 PM

13,413 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:
Really?

Explain.

If there is no God, there is no one to hold us accountable. Am I incorrect in my assertion?
We hold ourselves accountable. We have consciences. If we don't, we're psychopaths. Most people are not psychopaths. This applies to all people, atheist or otherwise.

It could also be argued that if you are absolved of your sins, that you are also not technically accountable.

We all hold ourselves accountable. Some people are better at it than others. In the end, we all have to sleep at night, regardless of whether you think this life is the end of it, or not.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
We hold OURSELVES accountable instead of relying upon some supernatural force to do it for us. And it works amazingly well, despite all the anti-atheist propaganda to the contrary.

There! Question answered.
Hypothetically speaking, if I was an atheist, (which I'm not), and I managed to get in a very powerful position, along with other atheists, what exactly would I need you for?

Are you a beautiful woman?

Are you an inventor? Or do you just use up resources like a parasite?

Because, if I only have one life to live, do you think I want to wait in lines? Do you think I want to see you at a "secluded" beach?

What exactly would I need you for?

If I kept you around, I would intentially endure suffering despite the fact that nobody can hold me accountable due to my position.

This is especially true if I convince other atheists to fully confide in their atheist ideolgy.

It's illogical for me to keep you around. You see what I'm saying?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:27 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,104 times
No it doesn't.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
We hold ourselves accountable. We have consciences. If we don't, we're psychopaths. Most people are not psychopaths. This applies to all people, atheist or otherwise.

It could also be argued that if you are absolved of your sins, that you are also not technically accountable.

We all hold ourselves accountable. Some people are better at it than others. In the end, we all have to sleep at night, regardless of whether you think this life is the end of it, or not.
The German people had no problem giving Jews up to the Nazi's after a powerful propoganda campaign that reduced them to rodent status.

Couldn't the same thing be done in regards to the poor?

Then it wouldn't be an issue of conscious. If anything, it would be the right thing to do. There wouldn't be any fundamental basis backing something otherwise.

What's right would change to adapt to the circumstances surrounding the preeminant ideology.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Hypothetically speaking, if I was an atheist, (which I'm not), and I managed to get in a very powerful position, along with other atheists, what exactly would I need you for?

Are you a beautiful woman?

Are you an inventor? Or do you just use up resources like a parasite?

Because, if I only have one life to live, do you think I want to wait in lines? Do you think I want to see you at a "secluded" beach?

What exactly would I need you for?

If I kept you around, I would intentially endure suffering despite the fact that nobody can hold me accountable due to my position.

This is especially true if I convince other atheists to fully confide in their atheist ideolgy.

It's illogical for me to keep you around. You see what I'm saying?
What's illogical is your belief that the only two possible choices are religious faith and utter sociopathy.

In fact, it's beyond illogical -- it's profoundly misguided. If you can't figure that out, then what's the point in this discussion? You'll never convince me, and I'll never convince you.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Yes, you are incorrect in your assumptions.

If you personally need an imaginary authoritarian parental figure or the threat of eternal hell to keep you from harming others, then you may need therapeutic help in developing empathy.
Maybe, I'm just taking advantage of my situation. If I view things logically, you are reduced to a bag of flesh, a mere souless entity. And unless you serve an imporant purpose, you would be exhbiting parastic behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism