Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 02:19 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times

Advertisements

As an Atheist, I have mixed feelings about this:
Atheists continue battle against World Trade Center cross at memorial – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

If it comforts victims, the cross doesn't bother me so much. But at the same time, if it's getting public money and doesn't represent the other muslims, jews, atheists, etc. who died on 9/11, then why give special treatment?

Also, does this action just make us Atheists come off as insensitive and ultimately destroy our public image? Does it matter if we maintain a public image? If so, maybe we should "pick our battles" a little better.

Like I said, I'm mixed on this.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 02:40 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Well, I had mixed feeling, too. While the atheist in me grinds its teeth when the men waving crosses turn up at tragedies looking to bolster church - numbers (this is of course the sour irreligionist view) I can see that people do this knee-jerk religious stuff as an expression of their deep feelings about such things and it does strike me that lobbying to stop people putting up crosses at mining disasters and the like makes us look like a rather O hairy lot.

I feel our case will be made with reason not by bricking stained -glass windows.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:05 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,889,370 times
Yes it surely is a sign that Jesus is real that a structure held up by cross beams would have...cross beams come out of the wreackage.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:21 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
“It is important that it not be displayed to the exclusion of everyone else,” said David Silverman, president of the American Atheists, which first filed suit in July 2011. “This case is about inclusion, it is not about the elimination of religion, it is about the inclusion of everyone.”

There were Jewish and Muslim workers who died in the twin towers, put up their religious emblems as well.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 AM

741 posts, read 1,289,133 times
Maybe a space could be set up for religious expression (religious groups free to erect expresive monuments), and another space set up for non-religious expression.
Would this be splitting hairs? I'm an atheist and would be ok with this.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:14 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Maybe a space could be set up for religious expression (religious groups free to erect expresive monuments), and another space set up for non-religious expression.
Would this be splitting hairs? I'm an atheist and would be ok with this.
I like the idea of this. A space where anyone can express their feelings about what happened in terms of any religion or none - Not excluding a cross, but not excluding anything else. I imagine an 'A' a twisted 'w' and even, with a bit of welding, a star could be extracted from the wreckage. We can't have the RSJ's in the form of a cross indicating anything other than a random pattern in the wreckage.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:08 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Why not just a quiet, silent place/building or open space where people can personally reflect on their/our loss. Possibly a wall of names similar to the Viet Nam memorial. A small symbol of cross or other next to the name if the family desires it. Most believers don't need any huge, stand out, image to remind them of their faith and I doubt the Atheists need an image to remind them of their unbelief.

Personally I do not see any "sign" from God in a steel crossbar found amidst any wreckage. A flag at perpetual half mast would probably be a symbol everyone would respect.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:20 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,559,463 times
As an Atheist, I don't really care if symbols that comfort others with different beliefs or desire something representing my lack of belief in religious things.

If symbols are put up, excluding some sects, there will be enough bickering to be entertaining by just watching the groups.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:27 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Yes it surely is a sign that Jesus is real that a structure held up by cross beams would have...cross beams come out of the wreackage.
Just like one Cheeto that vaguely resembles JC out of trillions and trillions of Cheeto's manufactured proves anything.

Yep, I'm convinced

Old 09-11-2012, 11:47 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times
I wonder if any Christians would be offended if somebody tried to have a symbol of Islam within view of Ground Zero, to remember the Muslims who died in the WTC?

My point being if a group feels justified in denying any religion the right to place a symbol. They have to acknowledge the Atheist right to oppose a Christian symbol. I am speaking as a person who supports neither Atheism nor Christianity. But fair is fair. All people need to be treated fairly, none of us can put up a public symbol that recognizes just one select group.

If a public memorial is put up, it must represent all of us.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 09-11-2012 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism