Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:36 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

In my life I have known Atheists I love to be around, and others I would avoid. The ones I avoid, the best way I would describe is trying to be smarter than everyone. They are the ones who want to know if a person is intelligent, before they even want to know the person.

What do you think?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Why are some "insert group of people here" so mean? Same reason.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:49 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,350 times
Atheists are as diverse as any other group. Some are nice, and some aren't.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:58 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
I have found atheists to be funny and so so nice.

Angry atheists are mean, however.

Even worse then angry vegetarians....no, I take that back.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:18 PM

278 posts, read 307,807 times
I work for a woman who has her own church, has various missionaries and shelters, and has authored (some low-selling) books about the power of god in her life and her ability to overcome drug addiction.
I don't think I have ever met a more cold, calculating, racist, sexist, and vindictive person in all of my life! She is either a sociopath or a psychpath, I don't know the difference between the two. I have often wondered: What kind of monster would she be, if she didn't believe in god? Answer: She would be the same person!
There are mean people in every sphere of life. There is nothing inherently mean about not believing in a deity.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:20 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
In my life I have known Atheists I love to be around, and others I would avoid. The ones I avoid, the best way I would describe is trying to be smarter than everyone. They are the ones who want to know if a person is intelligent, before they even want to know the person.

What do you think?
Anger is a deep subject, many books have been written, many good theories proposed.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:29 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Some atheists are mean in the same way that some religious people are mean. It usually comes back to one thing: WANTING TO FEEL SUPERIOR TO OTHERS. It's part of our survival instinct. It's not always a bad thing in small doses, but large doses are definitely unhealthy and all too common among religious and non-religious alike.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:46 PM

10,534 posts, read 6,169,672 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Because people are people. Take no notice of the mean ones. Just use your 'ignore' feature. People are often mean because they have something to prove - it's often more a reflection on them. Religion or lack of religion is probably incidental with genuinely mean people. They may possibly be mean about everything. It's a character trait.
Bear in mind as well that this is an internet forum - sometimes people might be upset about something and just need to use it to vent where they can't do so in real life, so you need to cut people a little slack sometimes (as I'm learning myself). Try not to take it personally. We don't know these people from Adam (to use a turn of phrase).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I have found atheists to be funny and so so nice.

Angry atheists are mean, however.

Even worse then angry vegetarians....no, I take that back.
Hey. I'm an atheist AND a vegetarian.

Neither traits make me angry. What's to get angry about sprouts and carrots?

Old 06-03-2013, 09:48 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Vegetarians aren't that mean. Now vegans, that is another story.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:14 PM

382 posts, read 722,054 times
I think there are a number of reasons why atheists are (or can seem to be) mean:

1) In terms of personality, there are more Intuitive Thinkers (NTs) among atheists than among the general population. I won't bore you with the details of this personality theory (Myers Briggs), but basically NTs are people whose passion is for ideas and theories, and unlike many folks, they really enjoy spirited debates. If you disagree with an NT and want to argue your position, most NTs see that as a positive thing indeed. But in contrast to the NTs, many other people feel uncomfortable with heated exchanges, and tend to avoid conflict.

What NTs celebrate as impersonal intellectual sparring in the search for truth, other types perceive as belittling strategies meant to make others feel stupid.

2) Some atheists, in America in particular, see themselves as an embattled minority. But realizing that there are many nonbelievers in internet land has emboldened many to more readily speak up. One principle that atheists are opposed to is the long-standing contention that religious beliefs should be "off limits" to any criticism. In their eagerness to challenge this belief, atheists can come across (sometimes intentionally, sometimes not) as strident and combative.

3) Some atheists, like some people in general, are just mean, rude, or unpleasant to be around.

I personally know a well-known liberal Protestant author who is highly critical of "the New Atheists" in his writing, but to be honest, this person himself is the epitome of the stereotypically "mean", arrogant atheists he criticizes.

And I'm an atheist, but I'm a pretty nice guy (if I don't say so myself)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.