Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Mr. Obama says he's a Christian, but I would be shocked if he weren't actually an atheist/agnostic.

Either way, I think Mr. Smash could use a primer on basic constitutional law.
And on common decency. This is, for most of us: atheist, heathen, pagan, Buddhist, Christian or Muslim, a very sad tragedy, unwarranting of outright atheistic rants & blather! Keep it under your kilt, Mr. Smash (Too bad there's not a minus rep point function here... Hmmm...)

Sincerely: From your best and most faithful atheist here: rflmn™ And again, my family's most sincere and tear-filled condolenseces to the victims of this unspeakable event.

BTW, despite my supposedly cold, immoral and atheistic heart, my spiritual side noted this startling vision last week. I recently (a few months back) had to personally put down my most beloved cat (Dottie the Wonder Cat, still seen in my profile pix). She was in much pain and suffering with arthritis and kidney failure. She'd made it, under my loving care, to 21 yrs of age., but it was most sadly her time... I have missed her deeply.

But... she had always loved kids, a bit odd for a cat, and always ran out to them whenever we had family picnics and BBQs here, even this last sumer, when she limped out to be cuddled. We had to ask the kids to not be too rambunctious with her!)

Anyhow, out of the blue last week, in the midst of my personal angst about this horror in Newtown, I almost instantly had a near HDTV quality vision of her dancing with those NewTown kids, playing and running with them, allowing them to do the trademark litle kid's belly-pick-up and -transport, with Dottie loving every minute of it! It ran like a live-action video in my head, to the exclusion of all else. I was dumbfounded, and was not on drugs, nope!

If there is a spiritual afterlife for our animal friends and the innocent (and who really knows, huh? Not you, not me...) this may well have been an actual true vision of it.

For me, personally, for my own peace of mind and assuagement, I am going with this one.

(Now you fundies; don't be using it against me in the future: I'm only a loving and feeling fellow human animal after all!)

Peace and Love Today, y;all! And please: hold all of your people and animals very dear and close. Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 09:15 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Beautiful post Rifleman..and all the rest of the posters here who lay aside the debate for the children, parents and first responders.Words spoken from the heart of the compassionate are part of the healing process. Makes no difference about one's religion or lack of.

PS Maybe Reesy, my dog who I took to be euthanized yesterday () is alongside Dottie the wonder cat playing with the children.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-23-2012 at 10:13 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
My heart is with you too, Miss BLue. Thanks. Reecy will be there with gladness to share, Im betting on it!

Old 12-19-2012, 10:41 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
sorry to hear about your cat, Mr Rifleman and your dog, Miss Blue

Old 12-19-2012, 11:58 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
And on common decency. This is, for most of us: atheist, heathen, pagan, Buddhist, Christian or Muslim, a very sad tragedy, unwarranting of outright atheistic rants & blather! Keep it under your kilt, Mr. Smash (Too bad there's not a minus rep point function here... Hmmm...)

Sincerely: From your best and most faithful atheist here: rflmn™ And again, my family's most sincere and tear-filled condolenseces to the victims of this unspeakable event.

BTW, despite my supposedly cold, immoral and atheistic heart, my spiritual side noted this startling vision last week. I recently (a few months back) had to personally put down my most beloved cat (Dottie the Wonder Cat, still seen in my profile pix). She was in much pain and suffering with arthritis and kidney failure. She'd made it, under my loving care, to 21 yrs of age., but it was most sadly her time... I have missed her deeply.

But... she had always loved kids, a bit odd for a cat, and always ran out to them whenever we had family picnics and BBQs here, even this last sumer, when she limped out to be cuddled. We had to ask the kids to not be too rambunctious with her!)

Anyhow, out of the blue last week, in the midst of my personal angst about this horror in Newtown, I almost instantly had a near HDTV quality vision of her dancing with those NewTown kids, playing and running with them, allowing them to do the trademark litle kid's belly-pick-up and -transport, with Dottie loving every minute of it! It ran like a live-action video in my head, to the exclusion of all else. I was dumbfounded, and was not on drugs, nope!

If there is a spiritual afterlife for our animal friends and the innocent (and who really knows, huh? Not you, not me...) this may well have been an actual true vision of it.

For me, personally, for my own peace of mind and assuagement, I am going with this one.

(Now you fundies; don't be using it against me in the future: I'm only a loving and feeling fellow human animal after all!)

Peace and Love Today, y;all! And please: hold all of your people and animals very dear and close. Please.
Sad about your cat, I have a very old one whose time is near(or so we've been saying for years!)

It's a nice thought that the "innocents" have an afterlife but please please please don't do what those religious folks do and turn wishing, hoping or imagining into "reality".

Your "vision" may have been triggered by all that emotion and the fact you're a kind person with deep empathy.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:39 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
I could not rep Rifleman since I need to spread the love around. Beautiful post and I agree that the vision was probably triggerred by the emotion and empathy. I feel very sad for the families and would never deny them whatever their own brand of comfort is during this difficult time.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
My heart goes out to those parents left with a tragic memory. I hope they come to cherish the time they had. I would feel very cheated if I lost my little ones. Also those kids left to remember their classmates experience. I cried for them and will always remember this event as with all the horrible events that are part of this life. What a shame we can't get a handle on our nut jobs. I hope this is a work in progress. One day at a time can be had with or without Jesus.

Mr. Obama would of course say Christian blessings. All presidents do, we don't hire ones who aren't Christian so I expected it. That's of course, our fault, not his.

If we want anything else said we'll have to elect more of a variety.

As for now, I'm trying not to overshadow those deaths with anything else. Seems to be a lot of up roar about issues surrounding this tragedy. I hope we can just keep it clean and allow people to grieve in peace.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
I'm a firm believer in a wonderful fury companion. I have many kitties myself. I'm sorry to hear about your pets guys. I hope your memories last a life time. Even if you turn theist when remembering them. I won't hold it against ya. It's a hard time when you lose a buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism