Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,756,497 times

Advertisements

Curious how far everyone here takes their Atheism/Agnosticism? Have any of you joined groups or orgs? Attend rally's? Try to get in god we trust stuff removed? etc etc...personally I don't do any of it. Being an Atheist is just because its for me I don't feel the need to convert anyone or anything and I don't join groups so....just curious about others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 11:31 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
When I go to NY I take it there. When I go to the bathroom I take it there.

Atheism does not call for activism. It just is. Desire from freedom from government sponsored religion might. In the US, that might be interesting to any non-christian.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:20 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
I am not a joiner by nature and I suspect most of us aren't. That's why there is no one organization that represents most of us or that most of us belong to. My guess is that, like me, most of us don't belong to any organization related to atheist objectives or to anti-theism. Life is too short. Live and let live. It would take a direct assault on my personal freedoms to radicalize me.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
I simply don't believe in God and I discuss that sometimes on this forum. That's as far as I take my atheism.

It doesn't affect me if others want to believe differently than I do. It's an individual choice and everyone should have that right.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:17 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I simply don't believe in God and I discuss that sometimes on this forum. That's as far as I take my atheism.

It doesn't affect me if others want to believe differently than I do. It's an individual choice and everyone should have that right.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. The vast majority of religious people don't bother me.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
I don't do any of that stuff either. No interest in converting. I used to belong to a Meetup group to meet others but lost interest. I don't feel like its an organization that I need to engage in. Its just my beliefs.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:46 PM

47 posts, read 94,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

I feel the same way, others can believe whatever they want BUT sometimes religion / beliefs do affect others, like womens rights, gay rights and wanting to teach ID as a science for example.

As for me, I don't believe in god(s), I don't care what others believe in their homes or places of worship as long as it dosent affect me or others.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
It's amazing how lazy you guys are.

Too bad there are no sins with which I can shame you into action.......

Or a hell with which I can scare you into action.........

However I CAN accuse you all of NOT being "true atheists".

But for a small gift of $ 29.95 I will send you my book.....

Edward R. Gein's

TWELVE STEPS TO TRUE ATHEISM

It will help "deepen" your atheistic faith by telling you actually how many times a day you can contemplate that there might possibly be a God before you slip a level.

Note: If you consider the possibilty of God more than 15 times in one day you have lost your faith and have to start back up at basic "belief" stage.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
I never belonged to any groups until I moved to the south. It was pretty unnecessary in the Chicago area. When we moved to Texas though and saw the absolutely nutty Texas school board try to get Creationism and ID into the science classroom, activism became necessary, imo.

It was also very interesting to go to the Freethought convention and hear the various speakers. I got Dawkin's new children's book The Magic of Reality for my granddaughter.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:09 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Curious how far everyone here takes their Atheism/Agnosticism? Have any of you joined groups or orgs? Attend rally's? Try to get in god we trust stuff removed? etc etc...personally I don't do any of it. Being an Atheist is just because its for me I don't feel the need to convert anyone or anything and I don't join groups so....just curious about others.
I am a founding member of Atheist Ireland and it, and I, are members of the larger global Atheist Alliance.

Very little... in fact none I can think of.... of the work we do is related to converting anyone however. 99% of everything we have done has been around Human Rights and fighting for them from a Human perspective. Some, if not all, of our aims and agendas are even shared by people of faith.

In the last year Atheist Ireland has worked towards gay rights, abortion rights, secular agendas, human rights at the global conference in Poland, education, community outreach, counteracting the blasphemy laws and much more. I can think of no part of any of that where we tried to convert anyone at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism