Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 PM

472 posts, read 570,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Just recently, I worked with a Jew, a Muslim, and a rabid Christian. I must say that the Muslim was the worse to claim that every other religion was wrong, though the Christian was a close second.
Of course there are a few. I've known about 100 Muslims, at least (growing up in India), and I haven't seen what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 10:53 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
[quote=steven_h;29412251]Originally Posted by steven_h
Atheists always jump on Christians saying, "boohoo poor Christians being attacked and persecuted" sarcastically as if it isn't happening. However, Christians are the ones who must take down religious displays, must not pray in public, can't carry a bible in schools... and on and on. The right to freedom of religion is being pushed into the closet while all the perverted and immoral are coming out of theirs.

At least, you got the precept of Budhism right. The rest is absolute nonsense and parroting the herd.

Didn't have to look far for a prime example. Funny how the smart ones (I'm sure you consider yourself quite) seem to be the most arrogant and ignorant.

Nothing like saying you're free to have your religion as long as it's done in hiding. "It's okay to be gay as long as you keep it in your bedroom" ... Do you even see how hypoctritical you are?

How are your churches in hiding? They are perfectly visible from where I sit. There are a gazillion churches here. I see them everywhere. I don't care. Just do NOT put your religion in the public schools or in government meetings. See, there are Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, Bahais, Sikhs, etc., etc. as well as atheists and agnostics who are part of this community. Christians want to believe that they can force their religion down everyone's throat and then they complain when we make them stop doing this.

You can be an outspoken Christian anywhere as long as you keep it away from government functions and public schools where kids are a captive audience.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:54 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
I don't hate it, but I think it is one of the more ridiculous of religions. So this God sends himself/his son down to earth for the purpose of being tortured and killed, to appease his own anger at the failures of the creatures he created? That's like me not housebreaking my dog, and then whipping myself because I think someone's got to be punished.

It's a good thing religion relies on just being born into the religion (or the straw-grasping of the truly desperate), because no rational thought process is going to gain any adherents.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 PM

Old 05-09-2013, 03:20 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I don't hate it, but I think it is one of the more ridiculous of religions. So this God sends himself/his son down to earth for the purpose of being tortured and killed, to appease his own anger at the failures of the creatures he created? That's like me not housebreaking my dog, and then whipping myself because I think someone's got to be punished.

Actually it's more like a Big Boss setting up an organization dedicated to putting His wonderful ideas into practice and, when they turn out not to be so wonderful, blames, sacks and stops the pay of everyone but himself, and continues to award himself the best of everything. Pretty how humans act when there is not any accountability. In short is is a textbook example of a man - made religion with a god made very much in man's own image.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:08 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

How are your churches in hiding? They are perfectly visible from where I sit. There are a gazillion churches here. I see them everywhere. I don't care. Just do NOT put your religion in the public schools or in government meetings. See, there are Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, Bahais, Sikhs, etc., etc. as well as atheists and agnostics who are part of this community. Christians want to believe that they can force their religion down everyone's throat and then they complain when we make them stop doing this.

You can be an outspoken Christian anywhere as long as you keep it away from government functions and public schools where kids are a captive audience.
This. Forced into hiding, my butt. There's a church -- a Christian church, I mean (this doesn't include synagogues, Buddhist temples and so on) -- on every other corner where I live. (Well, not literally EVERY corner but you sure don't have to drive -- or in some cases walk -- very far to find one.) We even have a Four Square. We have a couple of LDS churches. Many Catholic churches. Several Baptist churches. Methodist, Lutheran, Quaker (right across the street from me -- those people are nice), Churches of God (whatever that distinction is) and on and on. Something for everyone, usually more than one of that particular thing. Multiplied over and over.

And everywhere, people wearing crosses, wearing t-shirts for VBS, for their churches specifically, for church drives, and "talking about Jesus" and "thanking God" pretty much everywhere. And of course, St. Teresa or St. Mary or whomever that woman in blue is that I see gracing so many front lawns and gardens, and St. Frances (I always know him b/c he's bald and has birds on his shoulders), etc.

Nobody (including me) says a word. It makes no difference to me until it becomes a matter of what's taught to my children or how local politics run.

But if you're starting to talk persecution against Christians...brother (or sister) PLEASE.

Now you're pizzed that you can't take over the town square too? Boo-hoo is right.

Poor Christians forced to "hide." Oh will the persecution never end...

Last edited by JerZ; 05-10-2013 at 08:22 PM..

Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,654,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Probably because christians are the only ones trying to shove their beliefs down everyone's throats, and other religions don't.

BTW, Buddhism is not a religion as there is no diety.
Oh really? And Muslums will kill you if you don't believe their beliefs.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:44 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Atheists hate Christianity because so-called Christians do not practice what Christ taught. They are all into idolatry and ritual.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:45 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
You want to spread the teachings of Christ? Then don't bring up his name...teach by example.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:52 PM

I would say that most atheists don't hate Christianity at all, only the acts of some "Christians" who choose to be disrespectful of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism