Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 08:49 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
  • 150 years ago many Christians believed that Africans were inferior beings, and if they qualified as human at all, they were cursed by God... .
Very true, but also lacks complete context:

150 years ago, many people unfairly concluded "X" about blacks and forbid backs to do "Y" and "Z". "People" includes Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Jews- even atheists (though the rascist atheists probably ommitted the "cursed by God" fallacy and instead inserted "cursed by Darwinian selection via inferior genetics....".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 09:32 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Very true, but also lacks complete context:

150 years ago, many people unfairly concluded "X" about blacks and forbid backs to do "Y" and "Z". "People" includes Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Jews- even atheists (though the rascist atheists probably ommitted the "cursed by God" fallacy and instead inserted "cursed by Darwinian selection via inferior genetics....".
Absolutely right! That is my point, religion just like science or philosophy is used as a post hoc justification for what people want to believe. It changes over time and across cultures, even within the same religious tradition. Clearly, it is not evidence for some timeless, objective morality.

-NoCapo

Old 06-03-2015, 05:01 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
^^^Good point! I've never had a member from any other religion bother me, try to recruit me, belittle, scoff or disrespect me.
3000 New Yorkers might have a different opinion.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:55 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Given how many false "Christians" strut around, spewing hatred and hypocrisy, it's hard not to despise them.

I don't hate their religion, but I do greatly dislike those frauds as people. They are people who claim to "follow JEEEEEESUS" and yet also believe:

1) Anyone who's poor or different should suffer and die. Because Jesus believed that... I guess... even though that's the exact opposite of what he believed.

2) The rich - particularly big business - should be allowed to do whatever they want. Because God rewards us with worldly wealth, even though Jesus never said that. And, because of that "logic," then clearly anyone who's wealthy must be holy even if a child could see that they are nothing but a greedy sociopath.

3) Guns and violence are the solution to everything. Shoot first and ask questions never. Kill anyone if you feel "threatened" by them, but maintain your "right" to threaten others with lots of guns. Support endless war and nuke the Middle East and kill everyone there. Because that's what Jesus would want - I mean, sure, the guy specifically spoke out against such things, but he was just kidding.

4) Any crime can be forgiven if you yell JEEEEEESUS!!! enough times and claim to be "saved." This applies to cheating on your wife, molesting your siblings, and being an overall worthless human being. I mean, sure, Jesus never actually forgave anyone who didn't truly repent, but surely yelling his name and expecting to suffer no consequences at all for years of continuing bad behavior is still Christian, right? "JEEEESUS" forgives any crime - well, except the crime of being gay, poor, black, or another faith... even though those "crimes" don't hurt anybody.

And this doesn't even touch upon their hatred for science and idiotic belief in creationism. You get the idea - it's not the religion, but the nuts who claim to practice it while actually just using it as a shield to excuse and hide their sociopath tendencies and wretched behavior.

That being said, every religion is full of nuts like these, but since false "Christian" nuts are by far the most common in this nation - and are hell-bent on wrecking things for everyone - I hold them in deep contempt.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:50 PM

273 posts, read 211,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Probably because christians are the only ones trying to shove their beliefs down everyone's throats, and other religions don't.

BTW, Buddhism is not a religion as there is no diety.
Seriously? Ever heard of ISIS? They doing a lot of shoving of their religion down throats. But I agree that Christians shouldn't shove their religion on anyone. No GOD would want someone to be forced to serve him against their will.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:48 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Probably because christians are the only ones trying to shove their beliefs down everyone's throats, and other religions don't.

BTW, Buddhism is not a religion as there is no diety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsonplayer View Post
Seriously? Ever heard of ISIS? They doing a lot of shoving of their religion down throats. But I agree that Christians shouldn't shove their religion on anyone. No GOD would want someone to be forced to serve him against their will.
Well, since Ameriscot was responding to a post specifically about North America, I'm guessing his response was specifically about North America.

So, on a topic about religious attitudes in North America, what ISIS - a group operating in Asia - is doing isn't particularly relevant.

Look, this is an English-language message board. Thus, the majority of posters here Americans, home to the majority of the world's native English speakers. And a pretty big chunk of the rest of the posters are from the UK, Canada, Australia, and other English-speaking countries. And what do all those countries have in common? Christians vastly outnumber members of all other religions. As such, the atheists posting here live in places where the power that is wielded by religious figures is almost entirely wielded by Christians - not Muslims, not Jews, not Scientologists or druids or those who worship Thor.

When it happens in one of these countries that a religious notion is foisted on the populace - banning physician-assisted suicide, refusing to teach high school students basic biology, hindering access to birth control, etc. - it's not Muslims or druids who have the numbers and the power to foist such things on the secular populace, it's Christians.

And that, obviously, is why atheists in such places as the United States focus on Christians and not, say, Thor worshipers. Frankly, it perpetually amazes me at how hard a concept this is for many Christians to grasp.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:45 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Quoted post deleted.
You can believe whatever you want - the facts remain:

1)Moderator cut: Orphaned due to the quoted post being deleted.

2) What?! Creationists are the illogical nuts who believe "that the bible must be right because the bible says its right!" Based on that "logic," anything from Star Wars to kids fairy tales could be considered equally valid since they are all "correct" if the only thing they are checked against is themselves. There isn't a scrap of peer reviewed evidence that supports creationism, and even if creationism WAS correct, that still doesn't address point 1 - you have no right to endanger the lives of others with nutty beliefs that are grounded in nothing.

As for your debating skills, I've seen better from toddlers. At least they TRY to base their debates in reality, and most of them are smart enough to know that a story book is just that - a story, not reality.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-15-2015 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: Orphaned. The quoted post has been deleted.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:41 PM
acw

72 posts, read 73,189 times
1. Christianity is the LARGEST Religion on the Face of the Earth. Aprox. 2/3 of the world's followers of any Religion claim to be Christian Based.

2. Christian's suffer from an Identity crisis. They don't have original thoughts nor are they capable of Independent thinking. If they were, simple logic would lead them to the conclusion that Religion is a Man Made belief system used to control people through FEAR and repression of Independent thought. READ YOUR HISTORY.

3. When someone in the Church asks a question that seeks a logical explanation of God and the Christian faith, they are immediately despised and chastised for not having enough FAITH. Blind Faith is rewarded through membership of the "Born Again Club!"

4. 99% of the psychotic individuals I've met DURING my years on this planet were born again Christians. Remember, God is in Control...and everything is in his hands....LOL.

5. Famous Christians: Adolf Hitler, Jeffrey Damer, Ted Bundy, Jim Jones, Etc. I could go on and on and on...etc. One would THINK that someone representing their FAITH, would have enough "SELF CONTROL" to stay within the working laws of Man AND the Laws of Morality...LOL.

Here's a List of religious leaders convicted of crimes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...cted_of_crimes

(Yawn...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
I feel like it sure seems that way in North America at least. If you go on Youtube atheists are always talking about how the Bible is silly and can't be true, how there's no historical Jesus, etc. I feel that a Hindu, Buddhist, Shinto, Muslim, Sikh, Jain, or Orthodox Jew could follow an atheist TV show and agree with 99% of what the hosts are saying.

I can see why this is psychologically. Most atheists in America are raised in a Protestant Christian culture and actively reject it. Many were formerly Christians themselves and thus understand Christianity the most.

But I wonder why it's uncommon for atheists to talk about how the Qu'ran is a rant of a madman or how Hinduism is a collection of fairy tales or how kosher laws are racist. What about promoting atheism and secular humanism in countries dominated by Islam? There are billions of innocent people: children and women under patriarchy, who are being abused because of religion. Why not fight for their rights? Is it because it's less politically correct to talk about non-Americans and non-Christians? Or is it simply because American atheists feel like they can achieve more in their own country by acting locally, where the people in power are mainly Christian?

Old 06-12-2015, 05:46 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonplayer View Post
there is not a single atheist i have ever debated on the subject of christianity that can maintain logical thinking. At some point they will embrace fallacies in attempt to forward their argument. i'm far superior christian debater than anyone i know and anyone you ever met.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdude View Post
this should be interesting...
:d
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonplayer View Post
see you call it a fairy tail but people like myself call the creation by design logical rationalization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocapo View Post
:d

Old 06-12-2015, 05:49 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
There is not a single Atheist I have ever debated on the subject of Christianity that can maintain logical thinking. At some point they will embrace fallacies in attempt to forward their argument. I'm far superior Christian debater than anyone I know and anyone you ever met.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
This should be interesting...
Hmmm.
Quote:
See you call it a fairy tail but people like myself call the creation by Design logical rationalization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism