Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 09:59 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Even Einstien could not prove it in a lab or by a scientific experiment but he knew there was something out there.

As well as bad analogies, these frequent appeals to authority are also tiring.
Einstein was a genius is his particular area of expertise.
I don't particularly give a crap about his thoughts on gods or greater powers or the like.
He is no more an expert about all that than I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 10:07 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
As well as bad analogies, these frequent appeals to authority are also tiring.
Einstein was a genius is his particular area of expertise.
I don't particularly give a crap about his thoughts on gods or greater powers or the like.
He is no more an expert about all that than I am.
lol - and who particularly gives a crap about your thoughts? Einstein, may be?

Old 06-20-2015, 10:17 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,155 times
Quote:
lol - and who particularly gives a crap about your thoughts? Einstein, may be?
Evidently you. Otherwise, you wouldn't be discussing the issue.

-NoCapo

Old 06-20-2015, 10:48 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,347,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcu12345 View Post
The athetic people tend to do whatever they please, if the dangers are removed. So you see the Chinese embraced the Soviet Communism, then later evolving into the Chinese styled Communism, Chinese Communism; or so they call it now.

I suggest you come under the umbrella of the Christ now, if you don't want to mingle with them no more.
After an intensive word search on the internet, I am afraid that I have been unable to come up with a definition of the word "athetic." I am forced into the conclusion that it is an imaginary word referring to individuals who are not especially inclined to share an imaginary umbrella with another group of individuals who live in an imaginary world where corpses seem to routinely come up out of their graves and wander about, and, on occasion, even fly away, off up into the sky. This group of individuals further imagines and insists that a person who died 2,000 years ago is going to return again at just about anytime now despite a 2,000 year history of being, well, dead wrong. These non "athetic" individuals are often shocked to discover that not everyone is inclined to embrace their childlike claims, because there are those "athetic" others who are not so readily susceptible to total abject gullibility, and who, as a result, find that they are not particularly inclined to share the childlike imaginary world that the non "athetic" individuals have created for themselves. If you can bring yourself to imagining that that far!

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 06-20-2015 at 11:39 AM..

Old 06-20-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Most people who are Christians were atheist before they turn to God and became the man or woman , that God created man to be which was one with Him ......See the logic of not believing in God is the loss of souls God has to endure ........ I remember not believing in God for forty years , and some of my friends would scold me for dabbling to the occult which I did not believe in ..........See I used to use the zodiac charts to find numbers to use a bet in the lottery , And I got pretty good at it that I got the level of breaking even in the winnings where it did not cost me to play , But No very rich winning which I could retire from my Job , ...............Then latter I opened some strange door and then some dark spirits came into my home and haunted my home .......Where I discovered that Jesus was my answer and I turned to Jesus and He cleaned my house which the dark spirits had haunted ..........See God proved me wrong in being a atheist , and not some church or religion
This is just the sort of nonsense claim that I am tired of. The overwhelming majority of religious individuals in this world were programmed from birth by their parents to believe unconditionally whatever religious nonsense their parents were themselves raised and programmed from birth to believe in.

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 06-20-2015 at 11:48 AM..

Old 06-20-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I don't claim to be "tangible thinker" in the first place, remember? So don't worry about me.
I don't have to touch and feel and see God to be able to believe in him. His signs are more than enough for me.

As Einstien said, (and I would be surprised if you have done more scientific exploration, and you have more scientic knowledge than Einstien),

"Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. To that extent I am, in point of fact, religious.

Even Einstien could not prove it in a lab or by a scientific experiment but he knew there was something out there.
Believers love to drag out the "God does not play dice with the universe" quote as evidence that Einstein believed in the existence of God. In fact this reference is akin to Einstein comparing God to Mother Nature.
Here is a direct quote from Einstein that thoroughly establishes EXACTLY what Einstein thought about the existence of God.

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. These subtilised interpretations are highly manifold according to their nature and have almost nothing to do with the original text. For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions."
Einstein's "I don't believe in God" letter has sold on eBay

Old 06-20-2015, 03:24 PM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
As a believer and a Christian I find atheists like believers are linear in their beliefs. R. Dawkins also affirms this... so the scale of "belief" is both objective and subjective and therefore requires "adequate" proof for belief. Atheists believe there is no God and theists believe there is. Since the scale is numerical and therefore infinite, no one can be perfect in their assertion. If I say I know there is a God an atheist can say with the same conviction, I know there is no God, since "belief" requires only adequate proof.

So when an atheist (to me) claims to be what they say they are, is that necessary for the intellectual component or the spiritual component? I tend to be silent in my convictions and forthright with my attitude. St. Francis Assisi said preach the Gospel always and sometimes use words.

In addition I have struggled with the "extent" of my belief so it's reasonable to believe atheists struggle with their belief. The only atheist who troubles me is the one who practices contrived indifference to everything he or she does not accept.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
As a believer and a Christian I find atheists like believers are linear in their beliefs. R. Dawkins also affirms this... so the scale of "belief" is both objective and subjective and therefore requires "adequate" proof for belief. Atheists believe there is no God and theists believe there is. Since the scale is numerical and therefore infinite, no one can be perfect in their assertion. If I say I know there is a God an atheist can say with the same conviction, I know there is no God, since "belief" requires only adequate proof.

So when an atheist (to me) claims to be what they say they are, is that necessary for the intellectual component or the spiritual component? I tend to be silent in my convictions and forthright with my attitude. St. Francis Assisi said preach the Gospel always and sometimes use words.

In addition I have struggled with the "extent" of my belief so it's reasonable to believe atheists struggle with their belief. The only atheist who troubles me is the one who practices contrived indifference to everything he or she does not accept.
First, you really need to get the nomenclature correct. Atheists do not believe there is a God. This is a LACK of belief. Religious believers insist on labeling non believers as some form of believers like they are. Non believers are NOT believers. Atheists do not "struggle" with their non belief in God any more than they "struggle" with their non belief in Santa Claus. We atheists conceivably could be wrong, and perhaps there really is a Santa Claus. But we have good reason to doubt that reindeer can fly and such, effectively negating the whole Santa story as implausible. By the same token, we have good reason to doubt that corpses come back to life and occasionally fly away. It could be true of course, since none of us is given to know things to the exclusion of all other possibility, but we can see that stories of flying reindeer and flying reanimated corpses are on just about the same plausibility level, realistically. So, being non believers and therefore possessing a natural level of skepticism concerning what is plausible and what is not, we do NOT believe stories of flying reindeer and flying reanimated corpses. But if you provide me with one flying reindeer, even one, I will reevaluate my conclusion.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:11 PM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
OK... but I see that as semantics.

OK so you lack belief. Is lacking belief the absence of ... what? evidence? proof? So if I say I don't believe in atheists... how would you define that in terms of your understanding of belief?

I'm not trying to be obtuse...

Old 06-20-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
OK... but I see that as semantics.

OK so you lack belief. Is lacking belief the absence of ... what? evidence? proof? So if I say I don't believe in atheists... how would you define that in terms of your understanding of belief?

I'm not trying to be obtuse...
If you say you don't believe in atheists all I need do is present you with an atheist. In my case... me! If you say you believe in God or flying reindeer, then establish for me that God or flying reindeer exist and are not simply a product of make believe and your imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism