Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:13 PM

661 posts, read 522,145 times

Advertisements

I know this is really the atheist-agnostic subforum, but I don't want to post even in the general spirituality and religion forums if people will jump on and try to make me "feel inspired" from their pre-programmed robotic doctrine. I feel like the Christian God betrayed me and others who have similar issues.

I grew up in a Catholic home. Over time I walked away from God because of the way I feel God wasn't taking care of this world. At this point, I don't believe God can understand even if I pray hard on my deathbed. I don't like the idea that he's above all and we can do nothing to interfere with his will for humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 03:02 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
I always thought God hated people like me. That's what I was told at least. I'm an atheist now but at my last act as a believer was to feel "God's" love and let go. You can't trust anyone else to see it for you. Don't listen to all the self appointed mouthpieces of God. You have to decide who God is and then decide if you want to be mad at him or not.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:23 PM

Let me clear this up once and for all. There is a difference between anger/hating toward God and being and not believing in him. I don't necessarily need atheism "pushed" on me, I just want to relate to somebody and get some hope. Things have been very cold for me.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:41 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
I was attempting to relate to you how my attitude about God shifted when I changed from what I was told about him to finding my own way. You can do that too and maybe you can get what you need. What I felt erased all the fear in me (not saying that's your problem but that was mine and it solved it).

Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
It sounds like where you are is irreligious theism. while you may still believe in a god, it isn't the one the Christians teach about - or maybe it is, and He just doesn't do anything for the world but find car -keys, facilitate winning goals and and appear on toast.

You may have given up the religious claims and opt for a more remote deist -god.

You may have given up the idea of any god, though it doesn't sound like that.

You may really be angry at God in which care you might try the Stannist forum "That's another fine mes He's gotten us into!"

Old 08-01-2017, 10:59 PM

I'm actually theist, but in high school I have become more irreligious. My issue is that I also get depression and anxieties. Also, a lot of tensions are heating up today, I'm mad at the soon possibility of World war 3 and why God will bestow such final disaster to his Earth.

I don't like the ideas of either Heaven or Hell. Both prospects are terrifying, but Heaven is supposed to be the "good" place. But then God will change my conscience so I will no longer have the same life and desires I have on Earth. Sounds more like Hell, which is ironic.

Unfortunately the only religious group making such a case for an afterlife where all your "dreams come true" is Islam. But, Islam itself is supposed to be an evil ideology. I know that sounds non-PC today, but the Koran is more brutal than most of the Bible.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:48 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Most of us in this forum don't believe in god/gods. Coming here to get support for your idea that something we don't believe exists "let you down" doesn't seem like it would be very useful to you. We aren't "pushing" anything on you, YOU came here and asked us what we thought. Berating us because you didn't get the support you were looking for is pretty counterproductive.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:49 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I know this is really the atheist-agnostic subforum, but I don't want to post even in the general spirituality and religion forums if people will jump on and try to make me "feel inspired" from their pre-programmed robotic doctrine. I feel like the Christian God betrayed me and others who have similar issues.

I grew up in a Catholic home. Over time I walked away from God because of the way I feel God wasn't taking care of this world. At this point, I don't believe God can understand even if I pray hard on my deathbed. I don't like the idea that he's above all and we can do nothing to interfere with his will for humans.
Being angry at God for not producing an existence to your liking is like being angry at Santa for not coming to your house last Christmas. Neither God or Santa are going to have hurt feelings over this.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:18 AM

20,021 posts, read 13,496,411 times
I found life too short to spend it being angry at god. Particularly when that god is just a concept to begin with.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:46 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I'm actually theist, but in high school I have become more irreligious. My issue is that I also get depression and anxieties. Also, a lot of tensions are heating up today, I'm mad at the soon possibility of World war 3 and why God will bestow such final disaster to his Earth.

I don't like the ideas of either Heaven or Hell. Both prospects are terrifying, but Heaven is supposed to be the "good" place. But then God will change my conscience so I will no longer have the same life and desires I have on Earth. Sounds more like Hell, which is ironic.

Unfortunately the only religious group making such a case for an afterlife where all your "dreams come true" is Islam. But, Islam itself is supposed to be an evil ideology. I know that sounds non-PC today, but the Koran is more brutal than most of the Bible.
I don't think for a moment that you are here trying to peddle us a Theism. That you have your doubts about it puts you in our camp, really.

WWIII may happen, but keep positive. I lived through the Cuba missile crisis which was the nearest we ever came to nuclear war. The present situation isn't as bad as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism