Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 11:15 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,347,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I know this is really the atheist-agnostic subforum, but I don't want to post even in the general spirituality and religion forums if people will jump on and try to make me "feel inspired" from their pre-programmed robotic doctrine. I feel like the Christian God betrayed me and others who have similar issues.

I grew up in a Catholic home. Over time I walked away from God because of the way I feel God wasn't taking care of this world. At this point, I don't believe God can understand even if I pray hard on my deathbed. I don't like the idea that he's above all and we can do nothing to interfere with his will for humans.

If you are angry with God then you are not an atheist. You are simply a disgruntled, disillusioned believer, who, odds are, will fall back into your old believing ways. Until, or unless, it finally dawns on you that God never existed to begin with, you cannot be on our team. Sorry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 11:17 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I agree. I've read about half of the Quran, and much of that half follows quite a bit of the Bible.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yeah, but the Bible probably has more peace and love-all commandments than the Quran, and people could say they strike the previous commands out. It's about the ability to choose, all the cherries have to be in there for the best cherry-picking.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:32 PM

12,192 posts, read 2,960,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have recently come to pretty much agree with your position. I do not see, and have never seen, that "all powerful and ever loving God" that is talked about in Christian churches. It just took me 67 years to realize it.
No matter the age, in my opinion it's quite an accomplishment to come to that conclusion especially if raised with religion. It takes real smarts and courage and honesty. So many believers are kidding themselves and outright lying to their children because they are too afraid to speak the truth.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:27 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
No matter the age, in my opinion it's quite an accomplishment to come to that conclusion especially if raised with religion. It takes real smarts and courage and honesty. So many believers are kidding themselves and outright lying to their children because they are too afraid to speak the truth.
Well, they always resort to, "The Lord works in mysterious ways."

Old 08-30-2017, 03:25 AM

5,464 posts, read 3,911,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I'm actually theist, but in high school I have become more irreligious. My issue is that I also get depression and anxieties. Also, a lot of tensions are heating up today, I'm mad at the soon possibility of World war 3 and why God will bestow such final disaster to his Earth.

I don't like the ideas of either Heaven or Hell. Both prospects are terrifying, but Heaven is supposed to be the "good" place. But then God will change my conscience so I will no longer have the same life and desires I have on Earth. Sounds more like Hell, which is ironic.

Unfortunately the only religious group making such a case for an afterlife where all your "dreams come true" is Islam. But, Islam itself is supposed to be an evil ideology. I know that sounds non-PC today, but the Koran is more brutal than most of the Bible.
Not sure where you currently are psychologically (I've struggled with depression and anxiety for 12.33 years--incidentally the same amount of time I've been an atheist), but imagine the possibility of replacing 'anger at god' with 'being overwhelmed by an impersonal universe that 'creates' the never-ending series of calamities that we and all other life forms face'. You're actually probably worse off if you replace the former with the latter, directly. It's easier to be mad at a particular target, even if imagined/imaginary, than it is to be forever disillusioned and not even sure what to direct that sentiment towards. Human emotions are incompatible with an impersonal, endlessly cold (chronologically speaking, first figuratively and eventually entirely literally--see 'heat death of the universe') universe.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:23 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
It's easier to be mad at a particular target, even if imagined/imaginary, than it is to be forever disillusioned and not even sure what to direct that sentiment towards. Human emotions are incompatible with an impersonal, endlessly cold (chronologically speaking, first figuratively and eventually entirely literally--see 'heat death of the universe') universe.
Excellent points. The mind does tend to want to find a throat to choke. The universe does not provide one.

What this forces on me is to let go of my need to impose agency where it doesn't exist. In fact, one of the biggest benefits of atheism for me is NO LONGER being angry at god (you cannot be legitimately angry at an imagined being). Life is too short for that. Before my unbelief I had to explain god's lapses; afterwards, I did not. When you really get that through your head it's a tremendous relief. It's not personal, no one is picking on me or taking what's mine. It's astounding to me how many specious ideas were installed in my thinking and therefore causing me suffering, by religious faith alone.

I must say it's equally possible to impose agency in areas where things seem to go consistently well. I have had that happen to me, in terms mainly of my professional life, and while I had a role to play in that I'm very conscious that luck was prominent also. It wasn't god, though, it was more than anything the structural cultural advantages of being born a white, anglo-saxon protestant male with affirming parents. Literally nothing else. But it "feels" subjectively like some kind of good mojo, and if I were still a religious person it would be fairly easy to attribute that to "god's grace".

Old 08-30-2017, 08:10 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, they always resort to, "The Lord works in mysterious ways."
They do indeed This is part of the "It makes sense to God, even if it doesn't to you" which is the 'scrape a draw' ploy. The point being to avoid admitting that one's argument is wrong, no matter what the evidence is.

The one trick with apologetics is to see through the trick, and then one is not fooled by it. That and not to get dragged into a fight or exchange of personalities, that's just one thing, by the way,
and of course never to take what they say for granted, but check it up, that's three things.

Three things, see through the trick, don't get drawn into a fight, always check and be as honest as you can...

That's 4 things...

I'll come in again...

Old 09-04-2017, 03:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
I kinda glanced around here...got a sense...all my input is...Huh?
Every single solitary thing that has ever happened to us ...from birth parents to money or poverty ...cancer or health is our doing...
Ok, is that too radical to hear?
I should change and be more sensitive to all the delicate flowers...it's a gradual change over for me...
Another way:
Then, everything I ever had occur was only because of my doing ....there...easier to swallow?

Following the mode of insensitivity...WHO doesn't know that? There is nothing 'outside' causing things...fellas. Dah.

Don't believe me...Put it to the test!

Old 09-05-2017, 02:59 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,505 times
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism