Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 12:03 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,718,543 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 06:57 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Tierra Del Fuego is not anywhere close to the Amazon. It is at the tip of South America. Who made the mistake, you, or the author?
My error. It was another anthropologist in Tierra del Fuego, mentioned in the same book.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:04 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Posting more BS examples does not eliminate the arrogance of denying a generic Source for our reality that is nominally termed, God. Whatever it is, it is responsible for everything, including life and consciousness. You may not want to consider such a powerful Source to be a God but by any objective measure, it certainly qualifies. Since you do NOT know what it is, it takes enormous hubris to pretend that it is not God.
Typical, you now try to change the argument. I was responding to your statement that you were mystified by atheists who say "We don't know what it is" position yet proclaim with certainty what it is NOT!"

Instantly you assign me an argument I did not make....a denial of "a generic source for our reality that is nominally called God" There was no denial of that, was there? The denial was of the credibility of specific origin myths. Such denials are perfectly rational without any obligation to explain what actually happened.

I suppose for you it is necessary to invent arguments for your opponents since you have no answer for the actual arguments they advance. It is these sorts of silly, transparent tactics on your part which causes me to ignore your postings. Well, that and your notion that mixing science and voodoo is perfectly okay.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:26 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Posting more BS examples does not eliminate the arrogance of denying a generic Source for our reality that is nominally termed, God. Whatever it is, it is responsible for everything, including life and consciousness. You may not want to consider such a powerful Source to be a God but by any objective measure, it certainly qualifies. Since you do NOT know what it is, it takes enormous hubris to pretend that it is not God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That makes no sense to me. Is it supposed to?
Yes, it is supposed to but I cannot account for your ability to make sense of it. Bottom line: As long as you do not KNOW what the Source of our reality is you can NOT assert that it is NOT God because it definitely qualifies by ANY objective measure. What else could the Source of everything including all life and consciousness BE??? This renders atheism irrational and agnosticism as the only rational alternative. Consciousness can NOT emerge from a dead and lifeless non-conscious reality.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:13 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Oh Mystic... after all you time here and all the times the logical rationale of atheism had been explained...you can do no better than try one of the 'atheists have to know everything about the universe or they are illogical" arguments.

Your credibility just crashed to zero.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:11 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
Yes, it is supposed to but I cannot account for your ability to make sense of it. Bottom line: As long as you do not KNOW what the Source of our reality is you can NOT assert that it is NOT God because it definitely qualifies by ANY objective measure. What else could the Source of everything including all life and consciousness BE??? This renders atheism irrational and agnosticism as the only rational alternative. Consciousness can NOT emerge from a dead and lifeless non-conscious reality.
That's OK Mystic neither can I.

I think you are mistaken that atheists assert that it is not God just that there are other possible explanations so a definitive "it is God" is jumping conclusions. We can't even agree on a definition of God at this point because it used to mean deity and now you have convinced your disciples it means something else. I disagree that what you are talking about qualifies as ANY objective measure. What else could it be? I don't know.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:48 AM

19,972 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I think you are mistaken that atheists assert that it is not God just that there are other possible explanations so a definitive "it is God" is jumping conclusions.
You think correctly.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:14 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,253 times
Atheists are short term thinkers with no ability to forecast.

You take away the Shepard, all you have left is a bunch of wolves. Good luck with that.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:32 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post

You take away the Shepard, all you have left is a bunch of wolves. Good luck with that.
Good luck with what? A lower rate of religious belief in every part of the United States than the South? Yet the South is the part with the highest violent crime rate.

Your empty assertion ignores reality. It disregards the way the world demonstrably works.

Scandinavia or southern Europe, which has the higher rates of religious belief and which has the higher crime rates? The answer to both is 'southern Europe'. Japan v. the Middle East, Canada v. the United States, western Europe v. eastern Europe. On and on, examples of how the world actually functions do not align with how you blithely claim it will.

Yet you prattle on about how, absent God, people will do bad things.

You're so obsessed with your dogma that it never occurs to you to open your eyes and see if it actually plays out that way. Or... maybe you're afraid that if you do examine it critically, you'll find that it empty and hollow (which it demonstrably is). Well, that's faith for you!

Old 01-22-2018, 10:38 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post

While we don't make great claims about our ability to forecast, we don't make promises to come back before the present generation is dead and 2000 years later, still haven't shown up.

And the analogy is - take away the imaginary driver and you avoid the car -crash. We should take the wheel ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism