Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 10:41 AM

361 posts, read 385,544 times

Advertisements

I live in New England. I have never had any problem from society-at-large being an atheist.

However my in-laws have banned me from any family functions due to their belief the bible prohibits "breaking bread" with non-believers. Whilst I can do without them, my spouse and young one suffer the consequences.

If I had known early in our relationship this was going to happen I probably would have told them I was Catholic or some other mainstream sect.

I believe the vast majority of "thinking" people simply go along to get along. My best friend is a practicing Catholic. To him it does not matter if its true or not, the belief system simply makes the world a better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 10:58 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Atheists are short term thinkers with no ability to forecast.

You take away the Shepard, all you have left is a bunch of wolves. Good luck with that.
Unless of course the Shepard was imaginary in the first place. And no one has the ability to forecast anything, all any of us may do is make guesses, informed or otherwise.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:43 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Oh Mystic... after all you time here and all the times the logical rationale of atheism had been explained...you can do no better than try one of the 'atheists have to know everything about the universe or they are illogical" arguments.
Your credibility just crashed to zero.
Your constant false claims of debunking and trashing my knowledge and credibility are so far beyond "crying wolf" that any credibility you may have had is completely gone.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:59 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
I live in New England. I have never had any problem from society-at-large being an atheist.

However my in-laws have banned me from any family functions due to their belief the bible prohibits "breaking bread" with non-believers. Whilst I can do without them, my spouse and young one suffer the consequences.

If I had known early in our relationship this was going to happen I probably would have told them I was Catholic or some other mainstream sect.
Wow, have they banned your wife too, or is she still a believer and/or just standing with you in solidarity?

It's amazing what people will do to their own in the name of god. I am grateful to my parents (both died quite some years ago) that I know they would never have ostracized me like that, for any reason, regardless of church dogma. It says something about their character.

Ironically my own in-laws act the same way and they aren't even religious. They just ban anyone who doesn't bow down to the family patriarch or who ever calls him on is (plentiful) BS. His substitute for religious authority is his status as a prominent physician (he's very old-school that way). Although I have to say his main problem is that the battleaxe he's married to (not my wife's mother) runs him. She's afflicted with borderline personality disorder, and simply regards my wife as a rival for her husband's affections (sick, I know, but that's what splitters are like).

So it's not necessarily the sole province of the religious to do these kinds of things but religion sure provides a lot of justification for posterior orifices to be posterior orifices. After all, if you can successfully claim god's endorsement and authority, you can get away with almost anything and feel self-righteous about it in the bargain.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:24 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your constant false claims of debunking and trashing my knowledge and credibility are so far beyond "crying wolf" that any credibility you may have had is completely gone.
Except that I have substtantiated what I say - and in the last few days, too. And you simply ignore it.

We are very familiar with the Theist who does not want to know what they do not want to know, and we know exactly how much credibility that deserves.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:31 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Atheists are short term thinkers with no ability to forecast.

You take away the Shepard, all you have left is a bunch of wolves. Good luck with that.
Yea! Jobsters back! Checkmate atheists!
You got a lot of moxie showing up here again after how bad you got your ass handed to you last time. I like that.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:35 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,137 times
In my area, discrimination against atheists is rampant. If you own a business and don't attend some kind of Christian church just for appearance sake your revenues will suffer. Even though it is illegal, it is common during job interviews for companies to make it clear that they prefer to hire Christians or speak about their Christian values, many companies will display the Jesus fish or other items to let the public know they are part of the tribe.

One of the first questions asked when you meet a new person is "where do you go to church". The answer to that question is a critical factor in determining your social interactions, your ability to keep your job and receive raises and promotions, etc. I know some businesses that have an unwritten rule - they will only hire people that attend one of the megachurches in the area.

If you are stupid enough to let people know you are an atheist you will either face extreme discrimination or be browbeaten on a daily basis by some evangelical trying to lure you into the cult.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:12 AM

19,979 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
In my area, discrimination against atheists is rampant. If you own a business and don't attend some kind of Christian church just for appearance sake your revenues will suffer. Even though it is illegal, it is common during job interviews for companies to make it clear that they prefer to hire Christians or speak about their Christian values, many companies will display the Jesus fish or other items to let the public know they are part of the tribe.

One of the first questions asked when you meet a new person is "where do you go to church". The answer to that question is a critical factor in determining your social interactions, your ability to keep your job and receive raises and promotions, etc. I know some businesses that have an unwritten rule - they will only hire people that attend one of the megachurches in the area.

If you are stupid enough to let people know you are an atheist you will either face extreme discrimination or be browbeaten on a daily basis by some evangelical trying to lure you into the cult.
I have heard this is how they circle the wagons and protect the bubble deep in the Bible Belt. I have thankfully never had to put up with it. I am sure that it does have the effect of driving good people way from those regions into saner locales.

I am fortunate to have a dream gig with a great client, but even there -- the owner is a staunch (though traditional) Republican, his CEO and my direct report is a conservative Catholic who probably thinks Mel Gibson is the bee's knees, and the up and coming exec vp of sales is an evangelical Christian who spouts god-talk in business meetings and home schools his teenage children. So I am not "stupid enough to let people know I'm an atheist".

Or even anything less than politically conservative. After this year's business meeting the owner outright asked me if I was a "typical blue state liberal" (given that I reside in NY). Without missing a beat I told him (truthfully) that my district is as conservative as they come -- our congressman is Tom Reid, one of Trump's consiglieres and in charge of his transition team. He smiled his Mona Lisa smile, and I smiled back -- I think we both knew I had dodged the question but at the same time I don't think it would have helped me to have taken up an overt liberal sentiment of any kind. He respects that I do good, careful work and am looking out for his bottom line -- he'll take that even from a lib-ruhl, I'd wager. In other words he's smart enough to not go to certain places with his contractors and employees so long as they can be trusted in his business context -- and so long as they don't "go there" with him.

I'm sure that tap dance would not fly in a Christer-run fiefdom in the Deep South, though.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:30 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,218,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post

Please tell us where you live. No relocation for me!

Old 01-23-2018, 10:49 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Yea! Jobsters back! Checkmate atheists!
You got a lot of moxie showing up here again after how bad you got your ass handed to you last time. I like that.
Jobster? It that anyone I remember?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism