Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 04:58 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times

Advertisements

Truth.

What if the truth is that the company owner employs 100 people, and he and they will live happily for the rest of their lives. But in truth he can build a computer to replace them all and let them and all their families die on the streets, decreasing the surplus population, creating a healthier ecological environment for his children, and allowing him to use part of his extra profit to build a stronger wall to protect him against those dying ex-employees in the streets outside his estate. But no, he decides to keep things as they are and keep them employed. Does that mean that he is living by a fantasy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 05:22 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
How is that Sci -fo - fum scenario demonstrating the Truth of anything, or even an analogy of any Truth? Explain, please.

I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that it is trying to foist on logic and science the accusation that it inevitably leads to the cold -blooded extermination of everyone other than the privileged few intellectual superiors. and only Godfaith -religion can stop people becoming pointy -eared robots. We can leave the "Darwinism = Euthanasia package (incorporating the Straw Vulcan) to another time.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:59 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,976,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
"Run" is the key word. Those in power, correct?

But what about all the people needed to actually DO all the things that keep our world running? Such as bringing us our food from the earth, making our clothing, and building our shelters. Good luck finding a mass of atheists who would be willing to do that. Atheists can sit in their easy chairs at their "work"-places and continue to laugh at all these silly people.
Atheists do not work in your world? They do where I live.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:59 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times
Quote:
Truth.

What if the truth is that the company owner employs 100 people, and he and they will live happily for the rest of their lives. But in truth he can build a computer to replace them all and let them and all their families die on the streets, decreasing the surplus population, creating a healthier ecological environment for his children, and allowing him to use part of his extra profit to build a stronger wall to protect him against those dying ex-employees in the streets outside his estate. But no, he decides to keep things as they are and keep them employed. Does that mean that he is living by a fantasy?
What if that happened in a country that had unemployment insurance, welfare or even something called other employers? What if those workers were also his customers? What if you made sensible arguments?

This has to be your worse post yet.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
"Run" is the key word. Those in power, correct?

But what about all the people needed to actually DO all the things that keep our world running? Such as bringing us our food from the earth, making our clothing, and building our shelters. Good luck finding a mass of atheists who would be willing to do that. Atheists can sit in their easy chairs at their "work"-places and continue to laugh at all these silly people.
Ever hear of China? They make goods for sale and are often available to buy in stores in your world of only religious people produce goods and sevices. Do you live in Iran?

Can you be sure that the wheat your bread is made from was not grown and harvested by an atheist?

Old 06-07-2018, 08:19 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It would make for a more practical thread if it was advice on how to beat an atheist at, say, ping-pong or maybe drag racing, something where definitive winners and losers may be identified. How would you beat an atheist in the 100 yard dash? Or at wrist wrestling, poker, pie eating contests, online games, political races and beauty pageants?
To get an advantage, they'd pray first

Old 06-07-2018, 08:36 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Atheists do not work in your world? They do where I live.
The ludicrous accusation that atheists do not work, but just sit at thei computers all day (I did my stint and I'm retired, so i don't count) has a flavour of despreration about it. It's the final stage of what we call "Blind lashing out".

Old 06-07-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The ludicrous accusation that atheists do not work, but just sit at thei computers all day (I did my stint and I'm retired, so i don't count) has a flavour of despreration about it. It's the final stage of what we call "Blind lashing out".
Glad you could make some sense of it. 😁

Old 06-07-2018, 09:02 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
When did you last hear of a soup kitchen run by atheists?

Or of any "good" thing done by atheists?
People rarely organize around things they don't believe in. You may as well ask why non-philatelists never arrange conferences to discuss their lack of interest in stamps.

But pretty much every welfare state - say, the Scandinavian ones - are run on a 100% secular basis.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:11 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
I'm still not sure why the belief in imaginary things is so bad. Shouldn't the person's actions be the final factor?

There are many in this subforum who have false views of many things. You might even call it IMAGINARY. Big time. But I don't let their false views bother me or make me think any less of them. I do however try to help them understand where their thinking might be in error. No good deed goes unpunished though.
When one is basing their lives on "imaginary things", the whole foundation of that life is built on weak and shifting sands, to coin an old phrase.

It's not really a problem when a child believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, unicorns, Superman, or Captain Marvel. But when that same person continues to believe in those things as an adult, then their decision making has to be questioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism